My Iphone 4 that was being held together by tape finally took one fall too many and had to be put to rest. Not wanting to get a new iphone with the next around the corner, I researched budget android phones to keep me going till the iphone 6. I got the new Moto E.

A couple of issues/queries. When I get text messages all I get is a sound notitication, unless I'm missing something. The same sound that I get for an email. So if I miss the sound, I have no idea I've been texted. A couple of times I have gone into messages to find texts I had no idea about. This is a glaring weakness compared to the iphone. I am sure it is completely customisable, but that's not the point. If I buy a phone I expect a clear sound and visual notification that's impossible to miss.

Secondly, a couple of times this morning the phone has made the beeping notication noise, but I have no new texts, gmail emails or Exchange emails. What could that be?

My other thread not long ago had me thinking what to get, I went for Sony Z1 compact and its a pretty good phone, its got everything you need and all works very well.

SBA, change the default notification for emails in the email settings. this is a pain in butt, but once you sort it will be ok, and differ from the 'default notification'

So in emails(exchange? ) > settings account settings >selct email account> Email noitifications & Select Ringtone are in there for emails.

your text messages are the default notification in normal settings.

I reckon "blueflag" should change his name to "bluegeek", he's helped me with a security issue as well.

He is correct about the text notifications, you should now see two things when you get a text - an icon in the status bar and a number on the envelope icon on your home page.

If you pull down the status bar you can then see a page which lets you go directly to the message without going through the icon.

As far as I know you have the option to display some indication of just about anything including things like messages on whatsapp and viber, non auto updates for apps, news or sport items depending on what apps you use such as BBC News, CNN etc.

I had the Samsung Galaxy S Advance for a while and now have the S4.

There are so many things going on with it that I find it difficult to remember everything it can do for me but I bought an Essential Series mag out of Smiths for £9.99 and found it very useful although there are minor differences in some of the apps and systems. It's a bit like an idiots guide :confused: and has helped me a lot with some of the customisation and communication apps and how best to use the internet on it.

Enjoy!

Edited by BrahimHemdani

On your point about mysterious beeps, I get that sometimes too. It might be something to do with the google app that seems to learn and know intuitively what you are doing and where you are doing it. Don't know the name of it but if you tell it where you live and work it brings up cards behind the google search bar that auto gives you bus times or drive times etc and shops and cinemas nearby. Quite scary sometimes. It has also learned that I look up the Rangers share price so it auto shows me it on a card.

I'm sure blueflag will have the correct explanation.

On your point about mysterious beeps, I get that sometimes too. It might be something to do with the google app that seems to learn and know intuitively what you are doing and where you are doing it. Don't know the name of it but if you tell it where you live and work it brings up cards behind the google search bar that auto gives you bus times or drive times etc and shops and cinemas nearby. Quite scary sometimes. It has also learned that I look up the Rangers share price so it auto shows me it on a card.

I'm sure blueflag will have the correct explanation.

lol..

your doing well BH, this aint geeky really just use my phone a lot ;)

umm the notification sound, I'd probably take a guess its something stupid, like one of your apps doing something in the background.

you can disable apps doing this kind of thing, also disable haptic feedback, its just dumb.

I would strip it down and delete all the shity apps you don't need, do you need push emails? if not then also just disable the data, that will save millions of battery life.

if you need the push emails, obviously don't do that.

In regards to the phone being all smart and showing you stuff BH, google share a tremendous amount of data between your gmail account and your google searches etc.. all very scary actually. They got criticised profoundly when they last changed there policy's .. bhaaa from memory cant remember the app yo mentioned ,but the main issue is the way it links all your google account ,, and the data they can harvest from you that way, then in there words, like BH says customised advertising, all very clever, and designed to surly only designed to make google money in my opinion ;) There is ways to disable a lot of the stuff, just look thru the menus,

Sorry what exact handset is it too? android is customised by handset as well, so some things change per handset

your doing well BH,

In regards to the phone being all smart and showing you stuff BH, google share a tremendous amount of data between your gmail account and your google searches etc.. all very scary actually. They got criticised profoundly when they last changed there policy's .. bhaaa from memory cant remember the app yo mentioned ,but the main issue is the way it links all your google account ,, and the data they can harvest from you that way, then in there words, like BH says customised advertising, all very clever, and designed to surly only designed to make google money in my opinion ;) There is ways to disable a lot of the stuff, just look thru the menus,

Not bad for an old timer, eh :D

Some of it's quite good actually; like it knows I've been looking at Greater Anglia trains (on my laptop) or even knows I have a reservation, so it s given me a service update. And it somehow knows I'm a Rangers fan so it is giving me a link to a DR story about some Honduran. That bit's odd because it didn't give (Glasgow) Rangers as a sports option just the New York and Texas versions, obviously an American app.

I sign out of google whenever I can. Don't want it tracking me.

They have you by the danglies... you need to 'link' it to your google account for play store no?

also lots of the security features are linked to the google account being setup. joke.

you can disable all the 'tracking' properly by rooting.. ;)