Worst Brazil side in my lifetime. They'll qualify but will not win and will be extrmely lucky to reach the final.

Even South Korea (host nation) made the sem-finals in 2002 and their best player was the man in black.

This WC gives off similar vibes.

Even South Korea (host nation) made the sem-finals in 2002 and their best player was the man in black.

This WC gives off similar vibes.

Mate suggested the same after last night' game.

Too many good sides in this WC to be beaten by refs.

Mate suggested the same after last night' game.

Too many good sides in this WC to be beaten by refs.

Probability is that Brazil will play Spain or Holland in the next round.

I can't see the hosts being allowed to go out at that stage.

Not any old hosts, we're talking Brazil in a country that is simmering with rage and if the host nation goes out early then you'd probably find protest numbers grow by a large percentage.

Very poor performance by the ref last night, but I expect Brazil to improve after a nervous start. I might add that they better as I have backed them to win!!

Some great games coming up over the weekend, and some not so attractive ones as well. Does anybody actually think Columbia v Greece will see a shot at goal over 90 mins? A banker 0-0 for me! Spain v Holland tonight will hopefully be a good game, perhaps the game we should have got 4 years ago. Heard good things about Chile so looking forward to seeing them as well.

The first game of the tournament is traditionally a bit of a drag so now that one is out of the way it will hopefully settle down.

Back to the ref last night, I wish FIFA would stop pandering to footballing backwater nations when deciding on officials for big tournaments. There is no shortage of good European/South American refs with a great deal of big match experience that should be used for the big tournament. We cannot keep accepting dreadful performances from refs out of their depth just to say it is a global game and to keep the diddy confederations happy (and therefore keep voting for Blatter!).

Very poor performance by the ref last night, but I expect Brazil to improve after a nervous start. I might add that they better as I have backed them to win!!

Some great games coming up over the weekend, and some not so attractive ones as well. Does anybody actually think Columbia v Greece will see a shot at goal over 90 mins? A banker 0-0 for me! Spain v Holland tonight will hopefully be a good game, perhaps the game we should have got 4 years ago. Heard good things about Chile so looking forward to seeing them as well.

The first game of the tournament is traditionally a bit of a drag so now that one is out of the way it will hopefully settle down.

Back to the ref last night, I wish FIFA would stop pandering to footballing backwater nations when deciding on officials for big tournaments. There is no shortage of good European/South American refs with a great deal of big match experience that should be used for the big tournament. We cannot keep accepting dreadful performances from refs out of their depth just to say it is a global game and to keep the diddy confederations happy (and therefore keep voting for Blatter!).

All referees can make blunders and err under pressure in the same way as players do, just less often. The ref last night wasn't great, but the penalty apart, neither team benefitted. I can think of three howlers off the top of my head that were by officials from major footballing nations.

Howard Webb in the 2010 final not giving de Jong a red for his Cantona tackle.

The disallowed Lampard goal in the same year was from a Uruguayan unit.

Graham Poll failing to send a Croatian off until he gave him his third yellow.

All referees can make blunders and err under pressure in the same way as players do, just less often. The ref last night wasn't great, but the penalty apart, neither team benefitted. I can think of three howlers off the top of my head that were by officials from major footballing nations.

"penalty apart"

That was enough to swing the game at a moment when Brazil didn't look like scoring.

In this position a ref. can't blatantly whistle for 90 minutes for one team and when for Brazil he'll probably not need to at all in the majority of occasions if the team play well. But if 'bent' / 'influenced', blowing for a non-existant penalty in the last quarter when it's 1-1 is pretty much what you'd expect.

You might aswell say that 'X' wasn't hurt apart from the bullet that went between his eyes :champs:

"penalty apart"

That was enough to swing the game at a moment when Brazil didn't look like scoring.

In this position a ref. can't blatantly whistle for 90 minutes for one team and when for Brazil he'll probably not need to at all in the majority of occasions if the team play well. But if 'bent' / 'influenced', blowing for a non-existant penalty in the last quarter when it's 1-1 is pretty much what you'd expect.

You might aswell say that X wasn't hurt apart from the bullet that went between his eyes :champs:

It obviously wasn't a non-existent penalty in his eyes. The defender put his hand on the top of Fred's arm/shoulder and the Brazilian very cleverly flung himself to the ground. I think it was a soft decision, but there was certainly enough there to fool the ref into giving it.

How anyone can state that the whole tournament is bent based on one game, nay, one penalty award, is beyond me.

It obviously wasn't a non-existent penalty in his eyes. The defender put his hand on the top of Fred's arm/shoulder and the Brazilian very cleverly flung himself to the ground. I think it was a soft decision, but there was certainly enough there to fool the ref into giving it.

How anyone can state that the whole tournament is bent based on one game, nay, one penalty award, is beyond me.

Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVEX9S9D8qc

If that's a penalty my name is Charles Green and if that really looked like a penalty to the ref then his name is Mr Magoo.

:seal:

Probability is that Brazil will play Spain or Holland in the next round.

I can't see the hosts being allowed to go out at that stage.

Not any old hosts, we're talking Brazil in a country that is simmering with rage and if the host nation goes out early then you'd probably find protest numbers grow by a large percentage.

In fairness the country appears to be miles off properly hosting the WC. The money spent on stadiums when the people are living in tin huts is disgraceful. Another barking decision by FIFA. Edit: I won't blame the Brazilian people for rioting. Different circumstances but over here is heading for a very interesting marching season and I won't be passing on blame to loyalists should they break.

If Tannochsidebear is correct, then Holland and Spain will need to think about facing Brazil. As it stand though, Spain will wipe the floor with Brazil. We've yet to see which face Nolland turns up with.