Thursday, 29 May 2014 14:00

Gers Confirm Pre Season Tours

Written by Rangers Football Club

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6988-gers-confirm-pre-season-tours

077c150dfb3162f10e7c2c5962ececa1_XL.jpg

RANGERS have today confirmed they will prepare for the 2014/15 Championship campaign with a visit to Northern Scotland and a 12-day trip to America and Canada.

Following a successful training camp last year, the League One Champions will again head to Brora on 1 July for a six-day trip which includes a friendly against Buckie Thistle at Victoria Park on Thursday 3 July (7.30pm kick off) and a game against Brora Rangers at Dudgeon Park on Sunday 6 July (3pm kick off).

Ally McCoist's squad will then travel to America and Canada from 12 July, playing two games in each country.

Rangers play Ventura County Fusion at Ventura College Sportsplex in California at 7pm on 15 July then Sacramento Republic FC at Bonney Field, Sacramento at 7.30pm on 19 July.

The Light Blues then play two games in Canada – against Victoria Highlanders at the Centennial Stadium, British Columbia at 6pm on 21 July with another fixture on 23 July to be confirmed in due course.

Kick off times for all fixtures are local times.

Rangers visited the United States ahead of the 2002/03 campaign and the trip to New York prepared the team for a treble-winning season, while Walter Smith’s class of 2006/07 won an end of season friendly against LA Galaxy in California in May 2007.

Ally McCoist commented: “I am delighted our pre-season plans are now in place and we can prepare for next season’s important campaign in the Championship.

“We enjoyed a successful trip to Northern Scotland last year and we look forward to taking the squad there once again to play Buckie Thistle and Brora Rangers.

“We then head across the Atlantic to play four games in America and Canada and I have no doubt our overseas supporters will enjoy seeing the team in action once again.

“We have a wonderful global fanbase and I am sure the members of NARSA (North American Rangers Supporters Association) will turn out in huge numbers at all of our games.

“The trip to America and Canada is also a fantastic opportunity to re-introduce Rangers to the North American fans and I am confident the tour will be a success on a number of levels.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6988-gers-confirm-pre-season-tours

It'll cost a few bob to cross the Atlantic and spend time there. Are we paying for this ourselves or have we received an all-expenses paid invitation?

Hard to say. When I first saw the news I instantly thought what a smart move to combine the trip with the NARSA conference, but in actual fact NARSA starts next week, so they don't coincide at all.

Can't say I know a lot about North American football but this tour looks far from glamorous. Not the end of the world but it's a shame we couldn't line up a category A MLS team while we were there...

In saying that, with a game still to announce, who'd bet against a game v the Whitecaps in Vancouver...?

Can't say I know a lot about North American football but this tour looks far from glamorous. Not the end of the world but it's a shame we couldn't line up a category A MLS team while we were there...

In saying that, with a game still to announce, who'd bet against a game v the Whitecaps in Vancouver...?

Well Vancouver is VERY close to where the 3rd game is being played in Victoria, so you might be onto something there!

It's actually quite a logical trip up the west coast of North America, although we could maybe have stopped off in Portland along the way too...

Well Vancouver is VERY close to where the 3rd game is being played in Victoria, so you might be onto something there!

It's actually quite a logical trip up the west coast of North America, although we could maybe have stopped off in Portland along the way too...

Whitecaps have no midweek fixture that week but do have a home game on the Sunday (27th July).

A friendly may suit both clubs actually.

Some info on the North American teams....

Ventura County Fusion is an American soccer team based in Ventura, California, United States. Founded in 2006, the team plays in the USL Premier Development League (PDL), the fourth tier of the American Soccer Pyramid, in the Southwest Division of the Western Conference.

Sacramento Republic FC is an American professional soccer team based in Sacramento, California. Founded in 2012, the team made its debut in the USL Pro league in 2014.

Victoria Highlanders FC is a Canadian soccer team based in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 2007 after the excitement of the FIFA U-20 World Cup saw crowds up to 11,500, the first team plays in the USL Premier Development League (PDL), the fourth tier of the American Soccer Pyramid. The team plays its home games in Royal Athletic Park in Victoria, British Columbia.

Believe me Franky,we don't want to be matched up against the Whitecaps,they would tear us apart.MLS way superior league to the SPFL now.

As luck would have it,my wife and I will be in Victoria the week of the game,so put me down for, I will definately be there.My first live Rangers game since the 1973 Scottish cup final.(3-2 over the scum)