Selective memories. A wee laddie asks the squad for the first ever GPL prediction.

I'm presently finding myself in the position of sorting through all my papers and memories. Good and bad - but mainly good. Which is not a bad thing actually.

I should have got around to this donkeys' years ago! :laugh:

Not wishing to spread any bad vibes around, please accept this filed under "pleasant reminiscings." At least that's my intended meaning.

The story concerns a nine year old getting up at the break of dawn and waiting alongside a good few many other local Bears outside the Roxburgh Hotel in Dunbar for the surfacing of the Rangers first team squad who were on their way to Berwick-Upon-Tweed for the small matter of a first round Scottish Cup tie, and the monumental matter of a date with destiny and a humbling 1-0 defeat which seemed to completely stun the Scottish football scene.

I seem to remember joviality amongst the squad, with big John Greig telling me "11-0 - nae problem son. Nae problem." in response to my asking for a prediction. I also seem to remember a pretty strong smell of drink all round. This was around 8am. As to that, my memory may indeed have failed me as it has in other ways. :drink:

Since the date was January 1967, I wasn't actually a nine year old. I must have just have turned 14. And I got a fringed cowboy suede jacket for my 14th - soon to be paired with a pair of lilac flares with leather laces up the sides. Talk about Midnight fucking Cowboy!

Yes indeedy - I was flirting. And my flirt was with psychedelia and flower power :cool6::cool6::cool6: - manifesting themselves in a huge way. "Are you Experienced," "Between the Buttons," a long long love affair with the Who after "A Quick One" while still holding on to the Beatles with the superb "Revolver."

Perhaps the promise of the soon to be released "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band," and my headlong rush into the required hedonistic hippy lifestyle :hippy::hippy::coolio::coolio::hippy::hippy:managed to alleviate the pain of Berwick. I still managed to keep up going to Rangers after this, including Barca :champs::champs::champs:and some pretty memorable European games - :rfcbouncy::rfcbouncy: -which obviously aren't so memorable, as I've forgotten them.

I do remember my Dad (but not my Grandad) asking "What's happened to you son? You look like a clown. Ye cannae support the Rangers looking like that."

Well, the response is that I'm still here.

:rfcbouncy::rfcbouncy::rfcbouncy:

I remember Bears in the seventies looking like the Bay City Rollers, and I never got any gyp about looking like a darned hippy. :hippy:

Tell you what Bears and Bearettes - the free love bit of it was pretty cool indeedy :flash:, and prepared me well for a long career as a professional musician.

mWfNTIW.jpg

This particular one settles an age old argument I had on FF (and surrendered) about Willie Henderson being know as Billy. Knew I was right. At school our right winger was always nicknamed Billy Henderson, and, before Billy Johnson, the left winger was Davie Wilson. I was always John Greig.

xgQ31AG.jpg

Edited by bluebear54

And I got a fringed cowboy suede jacket for my 14th - soon to be paired with a pair of lilac flares with leather laces up the sides.

If you have a picture of this it's your duty to post it here mate. :hammer::hippy::coolio: