Getting promoted next season should be a formality considering we will have a wage bill dwarfing most of the league put together. We should be winning most games by cricket scores. People forget how terrible the SPL is, let alone the levels below it. The players the SPL generally attract are bottom level English league types.

The worrying thing is to get out of this league we are going to have to raise our game at least 25% and Im not sure Ally is capable of getting that most weeks. I admired some of the teams in the lower 2 divisions who came to Ibrox and tried to play football and have a go but this season coming is against full time opposition who will have a cup final every week. The other 7 (excluding Rangers, Hibs and Hearts) will be the most up for a season ever and teams like Falkirk are not going to be easy.

SBS - promotion should be a formality given our facilities and squad (don't think wage bill should be a barometer) but I believe a significant number of us have a horrid feeling that it will not be a formality.

I have been challenging our custodians to drop the short-term approach for well over a decade but given the mentality of a vast majority of our support, it all has to be about winning, and as we have found to our cost, winning at ANY cost (even if the cost is not actually required).

The for every fiver approach killed us and we are still in a very precarious situation which requires us to be back in the top flight next season (given we survive that long).

I have purposefully stayed clear of the financial debates but if anyone really believes that admin 2 or a further liquidation is some romantic opportunity for a knight in shinning armour riding his white charger to save the day and suddenly turn Rangers into the perfect football club are in my humble opinion wishing for the impossible.

Admin 2 and or liquidation would kill our club for good as would a delayed return to the top flight. As I have been saying for years there is so much wrong with Rangers but given the last few years I am just glad we still have a team and club but for how long is anyone's guess.

My ambitions are still the same - I want a perfectly run club that is self sufficient, lives within its means, has a scouting and youth system that works and challenges and wins trophies at the top level. Will we ever get that? Probably not. Will we get close? Maybe.

I’d have played for Rangers in Division Three if they’d asked, says striker Kenny Miller

MILLER has returned to Ibrox for his third stint at the club and admits he was so desperate to seal the deal that he didn't haggle over wages.

KENNY MILLER last night revealed he would have signed for Rangers two years ago in the Third Division if he’d been asked.

But he believes he has returned to Ibrox at the perfect time – because the club will finally be challenged to get out of second gear.

The 34-year-old is back for a third Rangers stint after completing his move on Thursday, admitting he was so desperate to sign he didn’t even bother haggling a decent deal.

And he insists he’ll never have ideas above his station as he aims to set the standards Rangers will need to get past Hibs, Hearts and the rest of the Championship contenders.

He said: “I’m not daft, I know where we are – it’s about playing for this club again. I would have come back two years ago and played in the Third Division if I had the chance.

“I experienced it at Stenhousemuir years ago and that wouldn’t have been a problem. I just want to help this club get back where it belongs, challenging at the top of Scottish football.

“And I’m sure in a year’s time we will be back there. Sure, if we had to look at other options then maybe there could have been more money.

“But there never were any other options because it was always about me wanting to come back here.

“There’s been a lot of speculation about me coming back over the last three years and there was a lot of truth in it because I wanted it to happen.

“I said to the manager when we started speaking a few months back ‘I know the situation at the club, it’s far from when I left it.’

“The contracts that were there then are not here now but I was just saying, ‘Make me an offer’.

“There were no negotiations. An offer was made, a few tweaks were done and that was it. It was a five-minute chat.”

Miller realises Hibs’ Premiership capitulation won’t make life easier for Gers as they try to get back to the top flight at the first attempt.

Then again, he doesn’t think that’s a bad thing.

He said: “It makes it challenging and this squad needs challenged.

“We’ve played at a level in the last few years where we’ve won games comfortably but maybe we’ve not had to get out of second or third gear.

“This season will be a challenge and bring the best out of the players. Hibs and Hearts will make it competitive but so will Livingston, Falkirk and Queen of the South.”

Miller’s arrival hasn’t been met with universal approval by a Rangers support questioning the forward thinking of playing a 34-year-old at the expense of promoting youth from within. However, he has no problem with winning them over. Again.

He said: “At every team I’ve played for I’ve always given everything I’ve got. People have appreciated that and I’d like to think that’s won them over.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/id-played-rangers-division-three-3661378

I don't really care about next season, what I care about is where we are in 5, 10 years time. I want to see us regularly aiming for the last 16 in the CL, and a club of our size should be capable of such. All I want to see is us performing to the level we should be.

If you do care about where we are in 5 to 10 years time, then I'd suggest that caring about next season is an absolute necessity because not getting promoted back to the top flight could set us back a lot more than a year. The Club is literally struggling for survival at the moment and it's continued survival depends on winning promotion in the coming season. Not getting promoted as a consequence of chasing utopian football philosophies is not an option.