Never heard of him, when I first saw the headline I thought it was Delia Smith.

Ronny Deila has been confirmed as the new manager of Celtic on a 12-month rolling contract.

The 38-year-old Norwegian takes over from Neil Lennon, who left the Scottish champions shortly after securing his third title in a four-year spell.

Deila guided Stromsgodset to the Tippeligaen title last season and and won the Norwegian Cup in 2010.

"I will treasure this opportunity and will give everything I have to achieve success for Celtic," said Deila.

"It is a magnificent honour to be named the new manager of Celtic, one of the world's great football clubs and a club I have such enormous respect for.

"I know what I want for Celtic and our supporters and that is the best of everything, it is what our fans deserve.

"I want to deliver the best attacking, exciting and entertaining football we can play, for the players to give their best every time they take to the field of and, of course, I want my players to work with me to achieve the best results possible and bring trophies to Celtic.

"Celtic is in great shape and the club has enjoyed real success in recent years due to the hard work of Neil and his team. I want to carry on this work and continue to bring happy times to Celtic. I can't wait to get started on this journey."

Deila took charge of Stromsgodset in 2008 following a period as a player and assistant manager at the Drammen club.

He leaves with Stromsgodset sitting second in Norway's top flight, five points behind Molde, but his farewell was a disappointing 4-2 loss to second-tier outfit Tromsdalen in the Norwegian Cup on Wednesday.

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell told the club website: "We believe Ronny will prove to be a fresh and dynamic new manager and someone who will give us a bright and energetic way forward for Celtic.

"Knowing that he was so highly-rated across Europe, Ronny was one of the first candidates we considered as manager and having discussed the opportunity with him at length, we are convinced he has the talent and the determination to deliver very positive results for the club and our supporters.

"Ronny likes to play attacking, winning football, the Celtic way, something I know our supporters will endorse."

Earlier this week, Roy Keane ruled himself out of the running, with the 42-year-old continuing his role as Republic of Ireland assistant coach after informal talks with Celtic majority shareholder Dermot Desmond.

Former Celtic striker Henrik Larsson committed himself to Swedish club Falkenbergs following an approach, while former West Brom manager Steve Clarke and ex-Wigan and Bolton boss Owen Coyle were among others linked with the vacancy.

Never heard of him!,no idea if he is a good manager/coach or not!,wonder why he chose the BHEASTS in a piss poor league?,if he was shit hot he would be anywhere else than Scotland I would assume!,time will tell I suppose.

So they were turned down by:

Moyes

Keane

Clarke

Mackay

Coyle

Larsson

I am genuinely jealous that they have brought a young, vibrant, ambitious and hungry manager in. This is what we didn't want after Lennon. This news just makes my resolve to remove McCoist all the more firmer.

And does that means he's any good?

Norwegian football isn't exactly top drawer is it? Their biggest club Rosenberg got put out of Europe last year by mighty St Johnstone and Rosenberg were in mid season and ST Johnstone's season hadn't even started.

And did Deila's side not get knocked out the Norwegian cup last week by a 2nd division side?

This appointment proves to me that they're not awash with cash at the San giro. PZJ on McMurdo's blog has been stating this for long enough now by analysing their accounts taking into account their loans and overdrafts at the co-op bank. Looks like he's correct.

And does that means he's any good?

Norwegian football isn't exactly top drawer is it? Their biggest club Rosenberg got put out of Europe last year by mighty St Johnstone and Rosenberg were in mid season and ST Johnstone's season hadn't even started.

And did Deila's side not get knocked out the Norwegian cup last week by a 2nd division side?

This appointment proves to me that they're not awash with cash at the San giro. PZJ on McMurdo's blog has been stating this for long enough now by analysing their accounts taking into account their loans and overdrafts at the co-op bank. Looks like he's correct.

We'll see soon enough. Could go either way but they seem to have a good knowledge of overseas talent.

We'll see soon enough. Could go either way but they seem to have a good knowledge of overseas talent.

Not always. Bangura? Rasmussen? Hoodveld? They haven't signed a decent player since we left the top division.