The BBC has learned former Rangers chief executive Charles Green is seeking financial support to launch a new bid for control of the Ibrox club.

Green led a consortium which bought Rangers' assets in May 2012 and then raised £22m from a share issue, but resigned from his post last year.

He returned for a short-lived spell as a consultant before selling his shareholding in the club.

However, he has spent the last week in talks with potential investors.

Rangers plan to launch a new share issue in a bid to raise in the region of £8m and if Green is to be successful he would need to convince existing shareholders to sell to a new consortium.

Green, who held the same position at Sheffield United, stood down from the chief executive's position citing the "negative publicity" surrounding an independent investigation, commissioned by the club's board, into allegations of undeclared dealings with former owner Craig Whyte.

That investigation consequently found no evidence of Whyte's claims that he was involved in the Green-led acquisition of Rangers two years ago.

On selling his shares to Sandy Easdale, chairman of Rangers' football board, Green said: "I want to make it clear that this means I will have no ongoing influence or financial interest at the club but I remain a fan and fervently hope that Rangers will soon be back at the top where they belong."

The BBC has learned former Rangers chief executive Charles Green is seeking financial support to launch a new bid for control of the Ibrox club.

Green led a consortium which bought Rangers' assets in May 2012 and then raised £22m from a share issue, but resigned from his post last year.

He returned for a short-lived spell as a consultant before selling his shareholding in the club.

However, he has spent the last week in talks with potential investors.

Rangers plan to launch a new share issue in a bid to raise in the region of £8m and if Green is to be successful he would need to convince existing shareholders to sell to a new consortium.

Green, who held the same position at Sheffield United, stood down from the chief executive's position citing the "negative publicity" surrounding an independent investigation, commissioned by the club's board, into allegations of undeclared dealings with former owner Craig Whyte.

That investigation consequently found no evidence of Whyte's claims that he was involved in the Green-led acquisition of Rangers two years ago.

On selling his shares to Sandy Easdale, chairman of Rangers' football board, Green said: "I want to make it clear that this means I will have no ongoing influence or financial interest at the club but I remain a fan and fervently hope that Rangers will soon be back at the top where they belong."

I'd be curious, all things considered at this point in time.........who would contemplate giving Green financial support.

There seems to be a lot of confusion regards the share issue(s).

IIRC the headlines in the Record last week (Irvine briefed story) about the 8M referred to an issue to existing shareholders.

Any prospective consortium would have to invest in a share issue that can't be conducted without a successful EGM vote.

I mention both because both the Daily Record (11/06/13)* and today's BBC piece smell of Jack Irvine (MH).

IMO, this is spin and bluster.

* http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-board-set-launch-new-3672935

Edited by buster.

Don't believe Green intends to this, I do believe that Green is playing poker with King in the hope the share price goes up. Perhaps there's more to King talking to investors than I first thought.