SFA REJECT Approach For Walter Smith

'Rangers will have to compensate the SFA if boss Walter Smith is to succeed Paul Le Guen in the Ibrox hotseat.

Smith, who led the Gers to seven consecutive league titles during the 1990s, asked his bosses to be relieved of his duties.

But, with Scotland bidding to qualify for the Euro 2008 finals, Scottish football's governing body is determined to keep hold of the man who has revitalised the national side's fortunes.

SFA chief executive David Taylor said: 'At this meeting Walter Smith asked to be relieved of his contract as national team manager for Scotland.

'This request has been refused and Rangers Football Club have been advised accordingly. That is all I have to say at this stage in terms of a statement from the Scottish Football Association. I think it says it all.'

Taylor earlier conceded that Rangers are the one club who could convince the 58-year-old former Everton manager to quit as national team boss.

He said: 'Walter indicated to us that the Scotland job was right for him, because at this stage he had no particular reason to become a club boss again. But this particular job is different.'

It is understood that the SFA's reaction to Rangers' bid for Smith was not unexpected by the Govan club whose disastrous season took a further turn for the worse when they were knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Dunfermline.

The Gers will have to wait to see if Smith resigns, a move that will leave the Light Blues open to a compensation claim by the SFA.'

Personally I don't have a problem with Walter staying on in his capacity as Scotland manager to the summer as well as doing the Rangers job. Realise the Rangers job is going to take up a lot of his time due to the work involved in improving the teams fortunes but if I recall correctly Scotland have just 2 games between now and end of season. Would possibly placate the SFA so resulting in a reduced compensation claim.

Malky

I would go as far as to say i wouldn't mind the SFA keeping him i am not really that happy he is returning. I feel it is a step backwards. I would rather give McCall and Coisty the Job.

He will come though one way or another and if McCall and Coisty do come then i don't see why he cannot do the two jobs until the qualifiers are over.

Why would the SFA do us any favours they have never done

any before so why start now

As far as compensation to them it has been quoted as

600 thousand pounds for the remainder of Walter;s contract of

eighteen months so David Murray will have that as PLG didnt

get any compensation when he left or so we are told by

his good friend in Sunday's paper

Walter can still pull the strings in any transfer deals without

actually being the manager he can tell Murray or Bain who

he wants and they can do the business till he comes to

the club officially but dont be fooled by the SFA they will

put every obstacle in our way that they can they have

never helped Rangers before why start now

Im actually excited about Walter coming back but as a scotland fan im dissapointed. I dont think doing both are possible.

McCoist doesnt have an SFA contract so he will def be at Ibrox without a problem.

Id like to see Gough in there as much as Stuart McCall.

Im actually excited about Walter coming back but as a scotland fan im dissapointed. I dont think doing both are possible.

McCoist doesnt have an SFA contract so he will def be at Ibrox without a problem.

Id like to see Gough in there as much as Stuart McCall.

Where is Gough right now? America?

Havent heard anything of him since he left Livi last year.