http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27934760

Rangers chief executive Graham Wallace has held discussions with Christian Nerlinger about returning to Ibrox.

Wallace wants to appoint a chief football operations officer and is due to meet the German for further talks about a role at the club.

Nerlinger was sporting director at Bayern Munich until June 2012, when the board replaced him with Matthias Sammer.

He served Rangers as a midfielder between 2001 and 2004.

Wallace outlined the role in his business review and intends for it to address developing player talent identification, scouting and recruitment strategy.

If Nerlinger takes on the position, he would essentially be assuming some of responsibility that manager Ally McCoist currently holds.

Following publication of the review in April, McCoist said: "We need help with scouting, with the medical department and with everything.

"I don't know what [a chief football operations officer] would cover. If the manager tells him which talent to identify then that's a good idea."

McCoist, though, would want the final say on signings. Whilst at Bayern Munich, Nerlinger oversaw the arrivals of of Ivica Olic on a free transfer, Mario Gomez, Arjen Robben, Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, Jerome Boateng and Manuel Neuer.

A German international, the former midfielder was appointed team manager at Bayern in 2008, before becoming sporting director the following year. During his time in that position, Bayern won one domestic double, and twice finished runners-up in the Champions League.

He spent three years at Ibrox after being signed by Dick Advocaat in 2001, but made only 25 appearances as injuries kept him on the sidelines.

It is believed that Nerlinger is aware of the financial and political issues around the club.

Hopefully this is true and not just another smoke screen to "appease" the season ticket switherers, that comes to nothing.

Ps it wont work if mr mc is allowed to continue to do it his way.

Hopefully this is true and not just another smoke screen to "appease" the season ticket switherers, that comes to nothing.

Ps it wont work if mr mc is allowed to continue to do it his way.

I think it's a credible rumour - I think I posted about it in April... ;)

A relatively bigname with good experience being linked is something we are not used to anymore and it's effect will be to generate interest. However there are many questions to ask.

The obvious one is financial.

If you take the monthly McCoist salary, add the mounting deferrals (since salary was cut/defered) and then add what Nerlinger would want.

Take that increased total and ask:

- can we afford it and any further infrastructure required by Nerlinger (scouting etc.) in times of austerity

- how does it effect player budget

- if McCoist wants final say on players, would it actually be of proportionate benefit

- would it result in a clash re. club politics

- can we afford to pay-off McCoist / how powerful is his position

I think this would be a great appointment if we could pull this off! He has experience from a massive club like Bayern Munich and was involved in the signing of some of the fantastic players they have today - so he knows how to spot a player or two!

Also read this morning he has spent time studying at the Munich School of Business and has a very meticulous approach to his work - which i think is something sorely lacking from Rangers FC these days.

I would be delighted if this came to pass.