I suspect that discussions at Liverpool are along the lines of can we sue him if he gets a domestic suspension and/or we are forced to sell him (a la Chelsea and Mutu)

If he gets a two year suspension no club will touch him. Liverpool will take a bath on him. But, yes, for the most part I agree - in fact, I used Mutu as an example to my boss the other day.

I reckon FIFA will give him a ban of longer than 6 months, which will allow him to appeal it - a process which will last longer than the WC. Ideal scenario for them. They get to act tough and hammer the player, but he still gets to play in the competition.

....and goes on to score the winner in the final! :D

He got a 9 match, 4 month ban

So let's say at least 6+3 for that

Obviously the committee subscribe to Gersnet.

But agree that it's not long enough; that was my lowest estimate; however, I doubt he'll get much change on appeal, perhaps a month off.

That's sensible from FIFA, although I fail to see the point of a stadium ban. They have done well not to allow the rabble rousers to set the agenda.

Will miss 9 Premier League matches and 3 Champions League group stage matches. Will be interesting to see if Uruguay appeal this for Saturday's match v Colombia. They don't have much to lose, but Liverpool may have something to say on the matter.

That's sensible from FIFA, although I fail to see the point of a stadium ban. They have done well not to allow the rabble rousers to set the agenda.

Will miss 9 Premier League matches and 3 Champions League group stage matches. Will be interesting to see if Uruguay appeal this for Saturday's match v Colombia. They don't have much to lose, but Liverpool may have something to say on the matter.

Strictly speaking all suspensions in football are from "all football" or all footbvall in the relevant competition(s) which means that you are not allowed in the ground, though it is rarely enforced that way. I think FIFA are just making a point with that, because they don't want him to be a focus of media attention.

Any appeal will be held immediately/tomorrow; they won't get away with appealing so he can play on Saturday.

It's about as lenient a sentence as he could have expected so perhaps this time Liverpool will say he deserved it; but based on last time I wouldn't hold my breath.

The defence was utter nonsense and I doubt it endeared the Uruguayans to the committee. They/he would have been far better appologising/moment of madness etc.

Strictly speaking all suspensions in football are from "all football" or all footbvall in the relevant competition(s) which means that you are not allowed in the ground, though it is rarely enforced that way. I think FIFA are just making a point with that, because they don't want him to be a focus of media attention.

Any appeal will be held immediately/tomorrow; they won't get away with appealing so he can play on Saturday.

It's about as lenient a sentence as he could have expected so perhaps this time Liverpool will say he deserved it; but based on last time I wouldn't hold my breath.

The defence was utter nonsense and I doubt it endeared the Uruguayans to the committee. They/he would have been far better appologising/moment of madness etc.

If you are bang to rights, deny, deny, deny! Any apology would have been viewed as insincere, and given that this is his third act, quite rightly so.