the song that gets everyone singing is The Billy Boys................I'm remembering that game at Hampden when Aird scored at the death. We spontaniously broke into the banned song.....................shock horror

we behaved abominably..................but it felt great

we need to get the Billy Boys back

the song that gets everyone singing is The Billy Boys................I'm remembering that game at Hampden when Aird scored at the death. We spontaniously broke into the banned song.....................shock horror

we need to get the Billy Boys back

The fact it went in the first place tells us all exactly what our support are like. It's all that is wrong with our current fanbase sadly.

Allowing people to dictate what we sing, it was a pathetic capitulation.

The fact it went in the first place tells us all exactly what our support are like. It's all that is wrong with our current fanbase sadly.

Allowing people to dictate what we sing, it was a pathetic capitulation.

How we allowed this song to be banned is actually a joke, such a stirring song/chant,but the fact that it is such a stirring chant is the very reason it was allowed to be banned,by the BHEASTS!

I'll probably be banned for this, so coat on, but I don't think the Billy Boys is an appropriate song for 21st century Rangers.

I grew up listening the the masses singing it and it is a very intimidating rousing anthem , a great tribal chant.

However, elevating via song, a violent ned, convicted wife beater, and a member of Oswald Mosley's fascists, doesn't strike me as befitting of Rangers. Surely this isn't what Rangers are about any longer? Surely you are a modern football team feeding on sporting endeavour rather than historical references to battering catholics? And in a European Union which is largely catholic, and on increasingly family orientated match day, is it fair to say these chants if deployed are detrimental to Rangers' long term interests?

Billy Boys won't come back because not everyone can be trusted to alter the lyrics. Even if it was campaigned to be allowed there would be those who sing the version deemed offensive and those waiting to jump on it and show how sectarian the Rangers support is.

It's safer to leave it where it is. And yes, I'm not a massive fan of it anyway.

I'll probably be banned for this, so coat on, but I don't think the Billy Boys is an appropriate song for 21st century Rangers.

I grew up listening the the masses singing it and it is a very intimidating rousing anthem , a great tribal chant.

However, elevating via song, a violent ned, convicted wife beater, and a member of Oswald Mosley's fascists, doesn't strike me as befitting of Rangers. Surely this isn't what Rangers are about any longer? Surely you are a modern football team feeding on sporting endeavour rather than historical references to battering catholics? And in a European Union which is largely catholic, and on increasingly family orientated match day, is it fair to say these chants if deployed are detrimental to Rangers' long term interests?

There are more non-Catholics in the EU than there are Catholics.

The song is not elevating any one person, it is taken from a street gang song, a gang who, while they were from a Protestant heartland, also fought Protestants from other areas. There were probably other songs sung about them.

It most certainly a part of what Rangers is all about as history and tradition are as important to some as handwringing and profit are to others.

I'm 99.9% positive that you will not be banned for your comments.

Billy Boys won't come back because not everyone can be trusted to alter the lyrics. Even if it was campaigned to be allowed there would be those who sing the version deemed offensive and those waiting to jump on it and show how sectarian the Rangers support is.

It's safer to leave it where it is. And yes, I'm not a massive fan of it anyway.

The tune is also banned(allegedly).

You're deluding yourself there. The song will be aired at the first game versus Celtic.

The song is not elevating any one person, it is taken from a street gang song, a gang who, while they were from a Protestant heartland, also fought Protestants from other areas. There were probably other songs sung about them.

It most certainly a part of what Rangers is all about as history and tradition are as important to some as handwringing and profit are to others.

========================================

Apologies for my ignorance, though from the lyrics I'm sure you'll understand why I believed it to be anti catholic, or at least anti irish. What I don't understand here is what a gang have to do with rangers. Did their paths cross in the 1930's ? What is the connection?

Super Cooper - 'neutral my arse?' Perfectly understandable, but bearing in mind I am hated on celtic quick news for suggesting celtic are not a republican club per se (arguably catholic yes), and that the club has been hijacked by a bunch of neds, and that 3 names will not even publish any comments I make because I complain about him using terminology like Klan etc, then you'll have to forgive me for being a fanzine fan rather than a celtic undercover agent.

Why are you on gersnet? Who do you support?

shock horror

I would say this sums up an attitude that reflects most of what is wrong with the world these days. And we're supposed to be from the country that brought the enlightenment...

With an attitude like that, how can we complain about anyone treating us badly - and so what if they feel good about it?

But then about 2000 years ago, a guy was nailed to a tree for suggesting we all be nice to each other for a change. The irony is that most those who refuse to be nice in Scottish football, claim to worship him.