I am on Gersnet because I believe it to be the most important website in Scottish football. I believe this because it is the only Rangers website that is coherent, civil and informed (that I have read). Rangers are the biggest club in Scotland and this site is the best representative of the biggest supporter block in Scotland. I find other Rangers sites with the continual cuhnt/bheast narrative, tiresome. I'd like to see gersnet try to influence not only rangers, but also the rest of scottish football.

I'm a hibbie but believe me, we may be in the same league come autumn, but that's where it ends. I believe we will finish out the top 5. Our decline can be traced to exactly the moment Rod Petrie allowed the players to visit him and complain about the manager whilst John Collins was out the country. Apparently the ring leader was Michael Stewart. Didn't like training hard. Seven years later here are the consequences.

If you want to read a different team's website, you could do worse than Hibbies Bounce.

But then about 2000 years ago, a guy was nailed to a tree for suggesting we all be nice to each other for a change. The irony is that most those who refuse to be nice in Scottish football, claim to worship him.

====================

And as if to emphasise my point - here is a sentence which is better than anything you will read today in any newspaper covering scottish football

Oh come on - flattery may well get you everywhere but this forum is far from the most important site in Scottish football. :D :D

While I don't mind non-bears posting in a general sense, you'll have to be very careful if you want to be permitted to contribute. As for this site influencing the rest of Scottish football, well I do live within spitting distance of East Mains, so I'll grab Alan Stubbs tomorrow and see if he wants to sign up as well... :whistle:

I am on Gersnet because I believe it to be the most important website in Scottish football. I believe this because it is the only Rangers website that is coherent, civil and informed (that I have read). Rangers are the biggest club in Scotland and this site is the best representative of the biggest supporter block in Scotland. I find other Rangers sites with the continual cuhnt/bheast narrative, tiresome. I'd like to see gersnet try to influence not only rangers, but also the rest of scottish football.

I'm a hibbie but believe me, we may be in the same league come autumn, but that's where it ends. I believe we will finish out the top 5. Our decline can be traced to exactly the moment Rod Petrie allowed the players to visit him and complain about the manager whilst John Collins was out the country. Apparently the ring leader was Michael Stewart. Didn't like training hard. Seven years later here are the consequences.

If you want to read a different team's website, you could do worse than Hibbies Bounce.

I am trying to find the Collins interview on Talksport about training regimes in the UK. He expects what i expect from footballers. Have to admit, i like him, as a football man.

Got it - http://talksport.com/radio/richard-keys-and-andy-gray/120822/john-collins-celtic-everton-fulham-and-his-football-career-179239

Not sure i agree about the biggest club stuff though. Maybe once upon a time but i ain't convinced anymore.

Edited by Super Cooper

The song is not elevating any one person, it is taken from a street gang song, a gang who, while they were from a Protestant heartland, also fought Protestants from other areas. There were probably other songs sung about them.

It most certainly a part of what Rangers is all about as history and tradition are as important to some as handwringing and profit are to others.

========================================

Apologies for my ignorance, though from the lyrics I'm sure you'll understand why I believed it to be anti catholic, or at least anti irish. What I don't understand here is what a gang have to do with rangers. Did their paths cross in the 1930's ? What is the connection?

The lyrics are anti-Catholic to most - I don't buy the 'Aye, but ****** is only about members of a 19th century political group in America' excuse.

The gang were from Bridgeton, they attended Rangers games, they sang their song, others joined in. It really isn't too difficult to grasp.

I am trying to find the Collins interview on Talksport about training regimes in the UK. He expects what i expect from footballers. Have to admit, i like him, as a football man.

Got it - http://talksport.com/radio/richard-keys-and-andy-gray/120822/john-collins-celtic-everton-fulham-and-his-football-career-179239

Like many ex-Celtic players, it's hard to understand which language he speaks. :seal:

I'll probably be banned for this, so coat on, but I don't think the Billy Boys is an appropriate song for 21st century Rangers.

I grew up listening the the masses singing it and it is a very intimidating rousing anthem , a great tribal chant.

However, elevating via song, a violent ned, convicted wife beater, and a member of Oswald Mosley's fascists, doesn't strike me as befitting of Rangers. Surely this isn't what Rangers are about any longer? Surely you are a modern football team feeding on sporting endeavour rather than historical references to battering catholics? And in a European Union which is largely catholic, and on increasingly family orientated match day, is it fair to say these chants if deployed are detrimental to Rangers' long term interests?

Catholics? surely you mean ******s?

The fact it went in the first place tells us all exactly what our support are like. It's all that is wrong with our current fanbase sadly.

Allowing people to dictate what we sing, it was a pathetic capitulation.

What is that supposed to mean? That we should have continued to sing it in the face of ever increasing sanctions against us for doing so? Is that what you are suggesting?

Your first sentence is absolutely spot on, though. The fact that we allowed the best chant in world football to be taken away from us because we weren't smart enough to see what what Timmy was doing and play him at his own game? Well that does say something about how monumentally stupid we can be.

All it needed was a change in one line, a bit of positive PR spin announcing the fact and we walk away with our anthem intact and with a PR victory.

But, no. Not us.

What is that supposed to mean? That we should have continued to sing it in the face of ever increasing sanctions against us for doing so? Is that what you are suggesting?

Your first sentence is absolutely spot on, though. The fact that we allowed the best chant in world football to be taken away from us because we weren't smart enough to see what what Timmy was doing and play him at his own game? Well that does say something about how monumentally stupid we can be.

All it needed was a change in one line, a bit of positive PR spin announcing the fact and we walk away with our anthem intact and with a PR victory.

But, no. Not us.

Not that it would have been workable, but please explain to me exactly when this offer was on the table.