Ghana FA suspends Boateng, Muntari

The Black Stars are to face Portugal on Thursday in a decisive Group G clash that could still see the African side qualify for the round of 16.

However, they will be without Boateng and Muntari, with the Ghana Football Association (GFA) announcing on the morning of the game that Boateng has been suspended over claims he insulted Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah, while Muntari allegedly attacked a member of the organisation.

An official statement on Boateng said: "The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has approved coach Kwesi Appiah's decision to suspend Kevin-Prince Boateng indefinitely from the Black Stars. The decision takes immediate effect.

"The decision was taken following Boateng's vulgar verbal insults targeted at coach Kwesi Appiah during the team's training session in Maceio this week.

"Boateng has since showed no remorse for his actions which has resulted in the decision. Boateng's accreditation for the 2014 World Cup has been withdrawn with immediate effect."

A separate statement on Muntari added: "The Ghana Football Association (GFA) has suspended Sulley Ali Muntari indefinitely from the Black Stars with immediate effect.

"The decision was taken in the wake of his unprovoked physical attack on an Executive Committee member of the GFA and a management member of the Black Stars, Mr Moses Armah on Tuesday June 24, 2014 during a meeting.

"Muntari's accreditation for the 2014 World Cup has been withdrawn with immediate effect."

Boateng himself confirmed his exit to Sport Bild and revealed he and Muntari had a minor clash in training which sparked the row with Appiah.

"Yes, I am leaving. I am no longer part of the team," Boateng said.

"Yesterday, there was incident between me and Sulley Muntari in training. We joked after a battle for the ball. I told him that he had played the ball with his hand. He said no. I laughed at him and said: 'You're the ref now, or what?' We both laughed, but the coach stopped the complete session and asked why we both laughed. We told him that everything's OK. But he sent us to the dressing room.

"I talked to the coach after training. I asked him why he was down on me and he started shouting at me. He also insulted me. Words like 'f--- off' were said.

"I heard about my suspension this morning. I absolutely accept it, but nobody should believe that I have insulted the coach or have done anything wrong. I leave now, and wish my colleagues the best of luck for the World Cup and the Portugal match."

Boateng was surprisingly dropped by Appiah for the Black Stars' first World Cup game against United States, with the Schalke player questioning his coach's tactics after the match.

The double-sacking piles extra pressure on Ghana ahead of the Portugal clash following an earlier disagreement over World Cup appearance fees.

The nation's president had to intervene to reassure agitated players that they will be paid their bonuses.

Ghana's government has sent more than $3 million in cash by plane to Brazil to pay the appearance fees owed to the national team at the World Cup.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/1913522/ghana-send-home-kevin-prince-boateng-and-sulley-muntari