I am sure Coyle used contacts at Celtic to invent their interest and drive the price up and up and Walter fell for it.

Walter didn't negotiate transfer fees, that was Bain's job and we were certainly seen coming on the Lafferty deal, but that's not the only one we overpaid for back then. There's a whole bunch of players we paid too much for.

Walter didn't negotiate transfer fees, that was Bain's job and we were certainly seen coming on the Lafferty deal, but that's not the only one we overpaid for back then. There's a whole bunch of players we paid too much for.

I knew that was coming when i posted Walters name. Ha.

I knew that was coming when i posted Walters name. Ha.

Some of the daft transfer fees we paid are maybe partially Walter's fault because he could probably have said to Bain not to pay too much for x player or not to pay over a certain amount for y player, but he most likely just said what players he definitely wanted and then Bain went about his business of cocking up half of the deals and paying too much in the deals he didn't cock up.

I've always thought that Advocaat deserved a portion of the blame for the ridiculous spending during his time as manager. He probably didn't give a toss about the costs or how much he was spending, but instead just did like Walter and so many other football managers do and just said "I want him, him and him to strengthen the squad". Murray sanctioned the spending, but Advocaat (like Walter!) should have known that some of the fees being paid were too high.

The fee was harsh on him. If we paid £500k for him or got him on a bosman he would have been a decent signing. He had a 1 in 3 ratio in Italian football last year with Palermo which is not bad. He just never looked comfortable on the wing for us. I don't think he is as bad as some people think. He will do alright for Norwich.

I am sure Coyle used contacts at Celtic to invent their interest and drive the price up and up and Walter fell for it.

In Serie B though, I doubt he would have scored any in Serie A.

Some of the daft transfer fees we paid are maybe partially Walter's fault because he could probably have said to Bain not to pay too much for x player or not to pay over a certain amount for y player, but he most likely just said what players he definitely wanted and then Bain went about his business of cocking up half of the deals and paying too much in the deals he didn't cock up.

I've always thought that Advocaat deserved a portion of the blame for the ridiculous spending during his time as manager. He probably didn't give a toss about the costs or how much he was spending, but instead just did like Walter and so many other football managers do and just said "I want him, him and him to strengthen the squad". Murray sanctioned the spending, but Advocaat (like Walter!) should have known that some of the fees being paid were too high.

Of course Advocaat has to take plenty blame. He spent almost £5m on Konterman and who knows what wages he was on. We also wasted loads of cash on the likes of Prodan, Guivarch, Kanchelskis, Flo, Ball etc.

That's not to say I wasn't a big fan of Advocaat. He has to take huge credit for the brand of football he had us playing.

I have to say - I think Lafferty was one of those signings that a lot of folk wanted to work out, with him being (at the time) one of the main forwards for Northern Ireland and a Rangers fan. Much like the Healy signing to be honest.

I think that may have also made Rangers seem like they may pay over the odds for his services. Wasnt worth the cash.

Lafferty had a bit of potential but more often than not played the donkey off the park while we paid his wages. He will probably regret how things worked out at Ibrox as he gets older and matures.

Trust me..... having been a coach (obviously not professional..... yet... LOL) and now being on the administration side of a club (club Treasurer)..... coaches (Smith, Advocaat) will almost invariably tell you "I JUST WANT TO COACH". Trust me on that. The number of times I hear that from our coaches, both youth and senior teams, is startling.

They seriously do not care about the financial or business side of the club. All they want to do is coach. Nothing else matters to them. I would say that is even more so the case for old-school managers and coaches in a time when football wasn't so much a business.

We have had "kids with issues" coming through our program and have told the coach "you are a mentor, you need to try to help steer them in the right direction before they go completely off the rails".... only to be told "I aint their father, I only want to coach".

Then again, maybe I am the one who is wrong for thinking that we have a duty to do more than just coach.