http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/486397/Rangers-gaffer-Ally-McCoist-happy-to-sign-experience

Rangers gaffer Ally McCoist happy to sign experience

RANGERS boss Ally McCoist has defended his signing policy after reuniting the ageing strike force of Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd.

Published: Thu, July 3, 2014

Miller and Boyd.

The duo have a combined age of 64, but while McCoist insists his team isn’t the ‘Dad’s Army’ of the Championship, he was quick to stress the Ibrox side would not have made it out of the lower leagues with a bunch of kids.

McCoist, whose side face Buckie Thistle in their first pre-season friendly tonight, said: “I can understand people being sceptical with players coming back and the ages of these players, but, at the same time, we are not in a position to plan longer term.

“Finances are dictating that the job is to get out of the division until the time comes when we can again spend money and bring players in.

“A year ago, Kenny was scoring at Wembley for Scotland, and Kris was unbelievable at Kilmarnock last term.

“I was really impressed with their desire to come back, do well and be part of our journey.

“They’re tremendous pros and the younger ones will learn a lot from them.

“When you are reaching 30, a fear goes through you that you’re nearing the end of your career and there’s a desire and a determination to look after yourself and play for as long as possible."

He added: “We’re not ignoring kids and it’s nonsense to suggest otherwise. But you can’t flood your team with kids and then expect to get through two divisions.

“There’s never been a case in recent Old Firm history where five or six kids have come through the ranks and into the first team.

“But, if the younger lads coming through are good enough, they will play. Guys like Lewis Macleod and Fraser Aird have come in and stayed in.

“Others, like Calum Gallagher and Robbie Crawford are there on the fringes and we’ll continue to give the younger ones a chance.

“But it’s crazy to think we could have put seven or eight in the team and come through the leagues.”

McCoist confirmed that former Hearts defender Marius Zaliukas, 30, is on his radar as he looks to add to his squad.

He said: “Marius has come up to train with us for a couple of days,

“I’ve always liked him as a centre-back, If we can bring him in then great, but we haven’t even spoken contracts or money.”

"there's never been a time in recent Old Firm history...."

Er Ally, had it escaped your notice that this is (mainly now "was") a unique time in our history? There had been no Old Firm. We have been in the Ramsden Cup for the last two years. Unsuccessfully at that

Yeah those years in the Bundesliga and Serie A were really hard. We need shot of this man as a matter of urgency. Doing more harm than any sp$v could ever dream of.

A very harsh assessment.....but one that I can't disagree with!!!

How much of a chance will Callum Gallagher get next season behind Boyd, Miller, Clark, Daly & probably Shiels????

What more does Robbie Crawford need to do???

We have seen some of the youngsters get the odd game over the past 2 seasons, and they have not looked out of place, yet they are generally unable to keep a place in the 1st team. Guys like Gasparotto have done well played, yet have to watch as new guys like McGregor & possibly Zaliukas are brought in.

A very harsh assessment.....but one that I can't disagree with!!!

How much of a chance will Callum Gallagher get next season behind Boyd, Miller, Clark, Daly & probably Shiels????

What more does Robbie Crawford need to do???

We have seen some of the youngsters get the odd game over the past 2 seasons, and they have not looked out of place, yet they are generally unable to keep a place in the 1st team. Guys like Gasparotto have done well played, yet have to watch as new guys like McGregor & possibly Zaliukas are brought in.

Gasparotto looked poor in a lot of games for the u20s last year - people seem to hype him up without any real reason.

As for Robbie Crawford - he is nothing more than average.

I would like to see McKay get a run out next season as I think he has a raw talent that could be developed into something special.