Calscot may also want to take a look at the current Ajax squad, where 18 players are developed by their youth academy. The rest were all bought at a young age bar Schone.

To say it's what small clubs do is outright bizarre.

Feyenoord too who went a through a similar experience to us

Congratulations for posting the biggest pile of steaming horse shit in the history of Rangers forums.

I agree with this. No way is he doing more harm than the wigs could ever dream of, he is only in front by a head, But in fairness he has been at it since Malmo and the wigs were well after that before they entered the race.

Pity he never turned down the managers role when he had no qualifications, no clue and no chance. The only surprise is he is getting worse. If only he had exercised the same caution as he did when he was asked to sign for us. Oh well.

I watched McKay several times @ Morton last year - he was poor. Didn't look interested a lot of the time.

Yet he came on in Youth Cup Final and effectively changed the game against what will effectively be Hearts first team this coming season.

On a sidenote, I witnessed DeMarcus Beasley playing almost out of his skin at the World Cup, being utilized as a left fullback by Klinsmann at the fair age of 31.

His first sub(20) was MOTM, his second sub(19) scored the goal which set up the frantic finish.

Sorry calscot but these stats were relevant to top seven clubs in spl. We are not a top seven club so why use that stats? We have been operating in the top level of div 3, 2, and now 1..

We're not a top seven club, we are a top two club so the simplistic numbers are relevant. Where we are in the leagues is irrelevant to the size of the club and for the kind of level we are grooming young players for.

All this we are a big club is the nub of the problem. We are big in terms of support and potential but we hit rock bottom and should have set about rebuilding with basics. ( ie your "small club mentality") as you put each layer of foundation and subsequent levels in place then you reset your goals a bit higher each season.

Sound all very short termism to me which is paradoxical to the long term goal of youth development.

At times with ally and walter before it looked as if they expected more from a youngster than from the experienced palyers. They would play the old pros in their best positions and the youngsters would be played out of position, making it harder for them to settle and make an impression.

Again, I think it is paradoxical to assign a young player a "best position" while he is learning the game. I don't actually know how the best position can be judged. Many players change throughout their careers. I personally think all players need a bit of versatility and a broad experience while developing. But there are many schools of thought which complicate matters including putting a young player in front of a large crowd on uncompromising fans and putting all the pressure of scoring goals onto them or expecting them to be the rock of defence or the main play maker.

The key word in youth development is nurturing and ally doesnt do nurturing...

I think few have a real idea of what Ally is like in that regard and so I personally will leave the jury out on that one.

calscot

We aspire to be a top two club. Until we are then erm we are not!

Your post was about how hard it is for a top seven club to develop youth. We had the comfort of lower leagues to do that before we got near top seven..

Short term policy to have a realistic plan that enhances the club each year ongoing? Do you know anything about planning?

I'm not saying a player should have set position but when a player eg fleck( you dredged him up on other thread) has played mostly centre mid then he he gets his opportunity at left mid. Gallagher a centre forward at right mid. The list goes on..How the hell does that encourage and help a youngster cement his position in first team. If you were cynical you could almost say they were being set up to fail!

Lastly on ally it's all in the fruits of his labours mate..