Chief Football Operations Officer, Club Scouts, Where Are They?

How long do we wait after the 120 days ???? review?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-boss-ally-mccoist-admits-3813756

McCOIST is seeking clarity on what the operations officer role would entail and whether he'll be allowed to appoint someone else to head up the club's scouting network.

ALLY McCOIST has admitted he’s in the dark over Christian Nerlinger being lined up as chief football operations officer at Rangers.

And the Ibrox boss wants clarity on what that new role would entail as he still doesn’t know if he can bring in someone else to head up the club’s scouting network.

Chief executive Graham Wallace claimed an operations officer was needed in his 120-day business review back in April.

And former Gers midfielder Nerlinger is said to be on the radar, having held a similar position at European giants Bayern Munich.

But when asked about Nerlinger, McCoist said: “I haven’t heard anything regarding that. I spoke with Graham on Wednesday and nothing has been said about Nerlinger or any director of football so I don’t know anything about it.

“I would expect to know something but it has gone quiet. I don’t know what has happened. My priority is to win the league but in terms of infrastructure we desperately need a chief scout. In an ideal world Graham and I would sit down but I don’t know what the plans are with the chief

football officer.

“I don’t know whether that would be his department in terms of scouting.

“Do I have someone in mind? Absolutely. But let’s be honest – there is a financial aspect as well.

“We need somebody to scout talent. Whether that is the chief football officer’s gig or the chief scout’s gig is up for debate. But if we want to get back to a top standard in Scotland and hopefully get back into European football we need to have people assessing players.”

McCoist has snapped up Darren McGregor, Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller so far this summer.

But he also wants to land former Hearts stopper Marius Zaliukas and Cardiff midfielder Don Cowie.

The Ibrox boss said: “Marius has trained with us after being released by Leeds and we are going to have a chat. I think there’s still a few quid knocking about in that budget and that will be put to the test in the next week or so.”

All of Rangers’ summer targets are tried and tested in the Scottish top flight and McCoist claims in the absence of a proper scouting department he is left with no option but to go for players he knows well. He pointed to Sporting Lisbon’s capture of Dundee United kid Ryan Gauld as an example of clubs casting their net wide and admitted Rangers are “light years” away from being able to work like that.

He said: “Ian Durrant, Kenny McDowall and myself watch French football, Dutch football, absolutely everything on TV. But we can’t go to watch players unless they are in Scotland because of the situation the club is in.

“That is the beauty of having a scouting department. If you have scouts they can go and watch games, they can recommend players and then you can go and look at them.

“At this moment you are actually just watching games off videos. It is not ideal.

“I met Peter Houston about four weeks ago (when he was scouting for Celtic) at the airport and said: ‘Where have you been?’ He said: ‘Watching six games.’

“Our best opportunity is to watch on the telly. If you have a chief scout and a department, you have the potential to do a Sporting Lisbon.

“You can get a boy at 18, 19 and say: ‘Right, it looks like we are not going to play you for 18 months but we are going to develop you’.

“That is the ideal world. We are light years away from that.”

Graham Wallace was keen to emphasis his football experience at Manchester City and the contacts he had in the UK and Europe.

228 days after his appointment, we still have no Chief Scout or network whilst GW has already passed the post (last week) for his first bonus.

As for Ally, he says.................. “You can get a boy at 18, 19 and say: ‘Right, it looks like we are not going to play you for 18 months but we are going to develop you’......................he doesn't have a clue.

Welcome to the Rangers Omnishambles where highly paid Bullshit and highly paid Incompetence flourish.

Please roll-up and fund it..........

I think the spate of 1 year contracts may have something to do with what the club have in mind regards football strategy, or at least on the face of it.

It's probably a sign that their ****ery is about to get so bad that renewals will drop 50 percent again next year.

It's probably a sign that their ****ery is about to get so bad that renewals will drop 50 percent again next year.

Who knows where we'll be in 12 months.

Circles may be squared.

To be honest with ally's policy /record of signing players on 3 year contracts and then going off them but unable to offload them, the one year deals maybe make sense. Albeit more papering the cracks..

We sure have agents trying to sell their players knocking on our door as well, so that pendulum does not swing one way. Likewise, people should not forget that there are not only thousands of players - some talented and many more not - out there, but also hundreds of teams looking for them. Having scouts or informers out there sure helps finding the gems out there, but we should not be under any illusion that having them will semi-automatically mean that we will find and get them. As for the topic as such, the information generation seems to be getting restless again. Folks, Ally has his targets line up for this half-season. Any DoF or whatnot coming in will have at least 6 months to start doing any scouting job or building up connections (unless he's already in possession of them). A week or even a month without any visible action won't matter. It could well be that e.g. Nerlinger is doing a job right now elsewhere or is simply on holiday. Real life does that to people.

Db , i doubt anything is going on behind the scenes. This is just more of ally playing media games. Grown ups have a sit down with their boss face to face and pose all these questions. If you like the answers fine . If not then you decide if you want to work for them or you compromise and continue to take their shilling.. from top to bottom we must be one of the shabbiest football clubs around..