Last evening, watching BBC Scotland's piece on Rangers trials with HMRC, I wondered why Angela Haggerty was chosen to counter Craig Houston. The current on going gripe is with HMRC, where is their representative? How about one of any number of the usual suspects(a lot of them regular contributors to BBC Scotland) who rushed to put the boot into the club? Even a Mark Daly who won a prestigious award for his BBC Scotland documentary, 'the man who sold the jerseys'? BBC Scotland utilise considerable energy in maintaining their policy of, 'careful hate'. Cosgrove keeps up the ridicule, Spence pushes the envelope regularly, and the News Department never misses an opportunity to demonise and marginalise(who can forget the bouncing ball on perceived sectarian lyrics)?

Careful Hate just wouldn't cut it, the momentum had been building among the Rangers support, harbouring a legitimate sense of injustice. Quelling such fires requires venomous hate. Angela has a long history of being supportive of Irish republicanism, including providing necessary mitigation on the awkward area of armed struggle. Angela has been all over the Rangers situation, like a rash. Lucrative too for Angela, as Editor of Phil McFournames collection of essays, entitled 'Downfall'. Angela would have been paid a fee for lat evening's appearance too.

Now, Angela is a well practised contributor to social media and she is 'Friends' with lots, if not all the regular detractors of Rangers. I suspect a few BBC Scotland Producers liked the cut of Angela's jib yesterday : "the revenge frenzy being whipped up by the Scottish tabloids is shameful. They know what the Rangers culture is capable of" and, "Rangers are a social club for people still clinging on to a white British protestant identity that revolves around fancy dress".

You can see the attractiveness of misrepresentation, the HMRC thing has become inconvenient; get Angela on to spit a bit of venom on to the frenzy. Remember, the tabloids are shameful, BBC Scotland is unfailingly moral.

I'm actually slightly surprised that they didn't just go the whole hog down at Pacific Quay. They could have rolled out their green carpet, flown in mad Phil from his bunker in Donegal and Alex Thomson from his bunker in Afghanistan to tell the viewing public that their sources inside HMRC are all saying "no surrender".

Let's be fair to Haggers. The girl's got an HND in journalism which is more than I've got. Whaur's yer yoonie degrees noo, eh?

But you are spot on, Cameronian. What exactly is her locus in this fight?

Last night's BBC piece showed in 7 minutes what has been happening these past few years.

A media using two sides of an argument without serious recourse to relevant independent expertise.

The argument coming from Haggerty being more precise with detail but tripping itself up in a couple of places. This reflecing the Celtic-minded websites.

The argument coming from Craig Houston being very generalised and easily challangable. Generally, this reflects the Rangers social media.

Confrontation: The first casualty of war is the truth.

Makes it very easy for those in the midst of it all.

Wholly unsatisfactory and inadequate coverage.

Video link of last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkfQB62ANRQ

Hating rangers is quite the cottage industry.

It's been a growth industry in recent years but then we have only poured petrol on the fire.

Scottish football and more specifically the constantly active 'fault line' between all things Rangers and Celtic is what really makes this inevitable. From their pro-active moves to maximise damage on our club (eg. from early 2012: 'sporting integrity' bandwagon) to our reactions.

It transends reallity and helps those directly invloved in the ensuing fog, to get away with what they do.

It is a godsend to the likes of Jack Irvine and ultimately those who he works for. I would have said 'paid for' but the truth is that, as is customary, it's us the support (the cash cow) that indirectly pay.

Neither is it going to change.

That is the problem with so many Fan Groups, there are so many spokespersons (?).

I am not criticising anyone, just some are better in certain environments than others.

I think CH usually speaks quite well actually but I think someone like Chris Graham may have been better.

Over the last ten years or so Chris and David Edgar have been by far the best media guys.

That is the problem with so many Fan Groups, there are so many spokespersons (?).

I am not criticising anyone, just some are better in certain environments than others.

Got to agree with this. Last night was the wrong enviroment for a guy who has done a lot of good and a tremendous amount of work. A well set up bitch slapping by the beeb & the hag. At least it will be a lesson for next time.