RANGERS Football Club can this afternoon confirm the signing of Marius Zaliukas on a two-year deal.

The Lithuanian defender joined Ally McCoist’s squad in Brora last week and during his second trial spell with the club he impressed both in training and in a 45-minute run-out against Brora Rangers at Dudgeon Park.

Having successfully completed his medical he will now travel with the League One champions to North America tomorrow.

Zaliukas came close to agreeing a deal with the Light Blues last September but after training at Murray Park he moved to Elland Road instead.

Prior to that the 30-year-old centre half spent seven years in Edinburgh with the Jambos and captained the club Rangers will face on the opening day of the Championship season at Ibrox.

In total he played 220 times for Hearts following his move from FBK Kaunas in his homeland and scored on 14 occasions.

Manager Ally McCoist has already added one central defender to his pool this summer with ex-St Mirren stopper Darren McGregor putting pen-to-paper on a one-year contract on June 11.

With Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd also returning to Ibrox last month, Zaliukas’ decision to join Rangers is another boost for the manager and the club as the preparations continue for a massive year in Scottish football’s second tier.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7183-zaliukas-joins-gers

Hopefully an end to Jig at the back, thank goodness.

Zaliukas will surely be the No. 1 choice CB with Faure but more likely Mohsni.

Two years opposed compared to what was becoming a standard 12 months.

Thoughts ?

Tactical move to ensure that we have at least one central defender with lots of SPL experience for our first year back in the top flight.

Again better than what we have but no where near the required level.

Your standard reply. I reckon if I would ask you who you would like and whether such a person would come and would be affordable, your reply would be: that is the problem of the board et al, not mine. That leaves you in a win-win situation and the club in a lose-lose one. Life can be so easy ...

Tactical move to ensure that we have at least one central defender with lots of SPL experience for our first year back in the top flight.

Fair enough but why not do that with Boyd who is worth 20+ goals in the top tier and has no significant injury history to speak of ?

Your standard reply. I reckon if I would ask you who you would like and whether such a person would come and would be affordable, your reply would be: that is the problem of the board et al, not mine. That leaves you in a win-win situation and the club in a lose-lose one. Life can be so easy ...

We can't afford zaluskas. We might as well get good players we can't afford.