I can fully understand (and partially agree with) the objections, but the decision's been made now, so is not maybe slightly disrespectful to Sandy Jardine to complain about it?

Not at all.

The only thing that is disrespectful is the implication that criticism of this move should be discouraged or disallowed.

As we can see on this thread, people who remember him fondly are uneasy about this gesture. They can be uneasy without being disrespectful.

There are four stands so you could divide them east/ west, north/south and that would give eight naming opportunities. Greig and Baxter get one each so that leaves six. The "Iron Curtain Stand" takes care of five heroes plus good old Willie Rae and the forward line associated with them. The "1972 Stand" accounts for another team of stalwarts. William Struth gets one. That leaves three. "NIAR Stand" anyone?

Much as it is difficult to disagree with anything that has been said about Sandy Jardine, I cannot see that he should have a stand named for him ahead of John Greig, rightly named the greatest ever Ranger.

I don't think it's disrespectful to discuss a Club decision, even one of this nature, so long as it is done in an appropriate manner. I think that is especially true given that none of the Board are exactly steeped in the traditions of Rangers FC.

I recognise Jardine's fine contribution on and off the park, but it is not unique and there are others in the Hall of Fame e.g. Alan Morton "13 years as a player with Rangers, the club won ten championships and two Scottish Cups and his 115 goals (and countless 'assists') from 495 matches were a huge factor in the team's success.", Jock "Tiger" Shaw, Willie Waddell "perhaps the most formidable character in the history of Rangers Football Club. Few men can have made a greater or more lasting contribution." and one of my favourites, Eric Caldow "ONLY a few men can lay claim to having played in a truly great Rangers side but Eric Caldow is a rare breed - he played in two.".

Certainly if you are looking at achievements on and off the park both Greig and Waddell would be ahead of Jardine IMHO.

The manager said: “We’ve had some absolutely unbelievable figures at our football club for 140 years and more.

“Sandy is right up there with the best of them, guys such as John Greig, Bill Struth and Willie Waddell.

It seems to me that this is a slightly emotional response to Jardine's long battle with cancer and whilst he is by no means undeserving of honour, I don't think you have to be dead to be honoured and some might see it as a bit of a slight on John Greig at least.

They could easily name the Copland Stand - The John Greig Stand, which I think would be quite fitting, to have the "Rangers end" named for the greatest ever Ranger. Personally I would complete the job by naming the Broomloan for Willie Waddell.

I do also agree that something should be done to honour the Founders within the stadium.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
Added quote from McCoist.

The only thing that is disrespectful is the implication that criticism of this move should be discouraged or disallowed.

I think given the fact that I very carefully and purposely used the words "maybe slightly disrespectful" and also as part of a question suggests quite clearly that while there was an implication, it most certainly wasn't one suggesting that criticism of this move should be discouraged or disallowed.

As we can see on this thread, people who remember him fondly are uneasy about this gesture. They can be uneasy without being disrespectful.

I posed a question, but didn't state a fact. In other words, I'm not saying I think anyone in particular has been disrespectful, but rather that I'm uneasy myself about the criticism, especially given that the decision has been made and it's with regards to a tribute to a genuine Rangers legend and faithful Club servant for many many years who recently passed away.

Am I saying don't question the decision to rename the Govan stand? Absolutely not. In fact, if it pleases you, then knock yourself out!

I think given the fact that I very carefully and purposely used the words "maybe slightly disrespectful" and also as part of a question suggests quite clearly that while there was an implication, it most certainly wasn't one suggesting that criticism of this move should be discouraged or disallowed.

I posed a question, but didn't state a fact. In other words, I'm not saying I think anyone in particular has been disrespectful, but rather that I'm uneasy myself about the criticism, especially given that the decision has been made and it's with regards to a tribute to a genuine Rangers legend and faithful Club servant for many many years who recently passed away.

Am I saying don't question the decision to rename the Govan stand? Absolutely not. In fact, if it pleases you, then knock yourself out!

The club is wrong.

We are free to say so without a hint of disrespect to the man. The last thing we need is to pussyfoot around the issue and pretend that it is right when it really it is not.

No-one has said or is likely to say a bad word about the man but there should not be the merest hint that criticism of this gesture is out of bounds, distasteful or inappropriate.

We are here to express our opinions on matters concerning the club, and while it is easy to heap praise in situations like this, it is more useful to give an honest view even if it doesn't fit with the mood of the hour.

The club is wrong.

We are free to say so without a hint of disrespect to the man. The last thing we need is to pussyfoot around the issue and pretend that it is right when it really it is not.

No-one has said or is likely to say a bad word about the man but there should not be the merest hint that criticism of this gesture is out of bounds, distasteful or inappropriate.

We are here to express our opinions on matters concerning the club, and while it is easy to heap praise in situations like this, it is more useful to give an honest view even if it doesn't fit with the mood of the hour.

In your opinion and in the opinion of other fans the club is wrong, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. Plenty of fans will see this as a fitting gesture to Sandy Jardine and as a support I would imagine it will be yet another talking point which we're quite divided on.

My own view on it is that I'm actually undecided if it's a good or bad decision, but it does seem clear that it's a decision which has been made and publicly announced, so no amount of criticism of the decision is likely to change it.

That said, Charles Green came up with and publicly announced a decision to rename Murray Park, but as far as I know, that - like so many other things he said - doesn't appear to have been carried through.

In your opinion and in the opinion of other fans the club is wrong, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong. Plenty of fans will see this as a fitting gesture to Sandy Jardine and as a support I would imagine it will be yet another talking point which we're quite divided on.

My own view on it is that I'm actually undecided if it's a good or bad decision, but it does seem clear that it's a decision which has been made and publicly announced, so no amount of criticism of the decision is likely to change it.

That said, Charles Green came up with and publicly announced a decision to rename Murray Park, but as far as I know, that - like so many other things he said - doesn't appear to have been carried through.

Where do we go from here when other leading Rangers figures fade away? What about those distinguished servants who have long gone and not been publicly remembered?

We could all list deserving names that the club should have immortalised, but it didn't do it and now we have this.

It's clear that Jardine has the respect of those who saw him play, but after Struth, should Jardine have been next in line for such an honour? I don't think so.

Our club has honoured one great player, but in going so, it has dishonoured many who are also worthy of this mark of respect and who were mostly before Jardine's time.

A handful of people made this decision, authorised by a board of unpopular non-Rangers supporting directors. They know as much about Rangers as I do about Celtic.

While some may applaud this decision, I believe it to be wholly wrong, and I say that without meaning to tarnish Jardine's name in any way.

We could end up having a collection of names from roughly the one era being honoured and practically no-one from our more distant and equally glorious past.

That can't be right.

Sorry, but I disagree with this. I don't see any requirement and there's others who I see as being equally deserving.

It strikes me as the directors just trying to do something populist to get the fans onside, similar to Craig' Whyte's idea of retiring the no 12.

got to agree with bluedell here. lovely chap and outright legend but why him and not walter or john greig or many many others.

I agree that a club like ours is going to have multiple legends worthy of a stand being named and there isn't enough stands. We now have Struth and Jardine. As others have said Cooper could have had the same and Greig, McCoist and Walter Smith are certainly going to be legends forever.

For me a statue should have been built outside the ground.

EDIT:

I would rather the corners or areas outside the stadium be named as 'The John Greig Corner' or 'The Sandy Jardine Corner' etc. There you could have the Statue of the man. Over time we will run out of corners but then statues can still be put somewhere outside the stadium for those who eventually get them built.

Edited by Gribz