The Europa League seems to have slipped by almost unnoticed up to now but an excellent away win for Aberdeen at Gronigen (after an 8-0 agg drubbing of Daugava Rīga) and a penalty shoot out win for St Johnstone at home to Lucern gives Scotland two teams in the 3rd QR. Both Scottish victories came against seeded teams but a disappointing extra-time loss by Motherwell to the unseeded Icelanders, Stjarnan, admittedly second in the Icelandic Premier League in mid season, put a stain on an otherwise good night.

Aberdeen and St Johnstone now take the place of their seeded opponents but whilst Gronigen were not seed in the 3rd QR leaving Aberdeen with a difficult hurdle against the 7th seeds Real Sociedad (7th in La Liga last season); St Johnstone theoretically have an "easier" game against Spartak Trnava (3rd in the 12 team Slovak league last season).

Adam Rooney is the top scorer in the competition with 6 goals so far.

Quality teams like Lyon, Inter Milan, Spurs and Eindhoven await in the 4thQL so a long way to go but it would be nice to have a Scottish team in the group stages.

I'll say nothing about the touchy subject of coefficients no doubt I've done enough already!

Edited by BrahimHemdani
"Scotland" for "us"

This will be the end of the road for Aberdeen but they have done well and it just shows what a decent manager can do. Even before administration I highly doubt we would have beaten Groningen away from home.

These sides need to do as well as possible to boost the co-efficient. The performance of Scottish teams in Europe is disgraceful.

The Europa League seems to have slipped by almost unnoticed up to now but an excellent away win for Aberdeen at Gronigen (after an 8-0 agg drubbing of Daugava Rīga) and a penalty shoot out win for St Johnstone at home to Lucern gives us two teams in the 3rd QR. Both Scottish victories came against seeded teams but a disappointing extra-time loss by Motherwell to the unseeded Icelanders, Stjarnan, admittedly second in the Icelandic Premier League in mid season, put a stain on an otherwise good night.

Aberdeen and St Johnstone now take the place of their seeded opponents but whilst Gronigen were not seed in the 3rd QR leaving Aberdeen with a difficult hurdle against the 7th seeds Real Sociedad (7th in La Liga last season); St Johnstone theoretically have an "easier" game against Spartak Trnava (3rd in the 12 team Slovak league last season).

Adam Rooney is the top scorer in the competition with 6 goals so far.

Quality teams like Lyon, Inter Milan, Spurs and Eindhoven await in the 4thQL so a long way to go but it would be nice to have a Scottish team in the group stages.

I'll say nothing about the touchy subject of coefficients no doubt I've done enough already!

Gave us two teams? Speak for yourself, mate. They can all GTF, as far as I'm concerned. I thought Motherwell getting twatted out of Europe by a bunch of part-time postmen and whale hunters was hilarious and the only consolation about the other two winning is that they are certain to get humped in the next round.

Gave us two teams? Speak for yourself, mate. They can all GTF, as far as I'm concerned. I thought Motherwell getting twatted out of Europe by a bunch of part-time postmen and whale hunters was hilarious and the only consolation about the other two winning is that they are certain to get humped in the next round.

I am proud to be Scottish as well as proud to be from Glasgow and a Rangers fan. I have amended the OP accordingly.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, no doubt shared by many; personally I take no pride in the failings of any of Scotland's teams in Europe.

I am proud to be Scottish as well as proud to be from Glasgow and a Rangers fan. I have amended the OP accordingly.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, no doubt shared by many; personally I take no pride in the failings of any of Scotland's teams in Europe.

Interesting. I take it, therefore, that you'll be wanting celtic to win their next round?

Surely the Motherwell result is as bad, if not worse than our Malmo one? Which puts McCall in the same bracket as McCoist, or McCoist in the same bracket as McCall? That's another one to tick off the list of possible replacements.

You've got to admit that postmen seem to make pretty good footballers, though not quite as good as they used to be at cycling in the US.

Surely the Motherwell result is as bad, if not worse than our Malmo one? Which puts McCall in the same bracket as McCoist, or McCoist in the same bracket as McCall? That's another one to tick off the list of possible replacements.

You've got to admit that postmen seem to make pretty good footballers, though not quite as good as they used to be at cycling in the US.

Probably better than being beaten by Stirling Albion.

And Maribor were poorer than Malmo.

Probably better than being beaten by Stirling Albion.

And Maribor were poorer than Malmo.

I'm surprised you're making a desperate defence when I thought you would actually agree. But perhaps a European defeat is only really bad depending on whether you like the manager...