RANGERS will compete in their first game of this year’s Dale Farm Milk Cup when they take on County Armagh at the Riverside Stadium in Drumahoe tonight, kick-off 7pm.

The young Light Blues, who are in the under-15 Junior section, will then face a mouthwatering test against Liverpool on Tuesday at Ballymena Showgrounds (ko 8pm) before their third game against O’Higgins from Chile on Wednesday at the Riada Stadium in Ballymoney (ko 3.30pm).

It is 21 years since Rangers participated at the Milk Cup in Northern Ireland and Jim Sinclair, Rangers Academy Director, believes it's an exciting opportunity for the up and coming talent in Craig Mulholland and Andy Kirk's squad.

He said: "We are delighted to be renewing Rangers' long association with the Milk Cup having won the event during the 80's and 90's and we're hopeful that our group will enjoy the experience again this year.

"The Milk Cup has over many years developed a fantastic reputation for providing a strong tournament with competitive clubs from all over the world and the quality of opposition will prove a great test for our young team.

"We always look forward to taking teams to Northern Ireland where the club has a large supporter base and we know we will participate in an event which has a reputation for first class organisation."

This year’s tournament kicked off yesterday with an Opening Ceremony and Nicky Byrne was the special guest. The former Westlife singer, who played at the Milk Cup on three occasions, also led a parade of competing teams through Coleraine.

In total 56 teams from the world's leading professional clubs, famous football academies and National Associations from all five Continents have descended on the five local authorities of Coleraine, Ballymena, Limavady, Ballymoney and Derry City to battle it out over five days hoping to end the week as Dale Farm Milk Cup champions in the Elite (under 19), Premier (under 17) and Junior (under 15) sections.

The Rangers squad in Northern Ireland is as follows: Kieran Wright, Aidan Wilson, Scott Gray, Kyle Bradley, Jason Krones, Kieran Balfour, Grant Nelson, Jamie Barjonas, Sam Jamieson, Liam Burt, Andrew Dallas, Jack Thomson, Lewis Mayo, Jordan Houston, Stephen Kelly, Zak Rudden, Matifadza Zata, Lewis Muir.

For more information on the Dale Farm Milk Cup click here.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/item/7327-young-gers-face-county-armagh

I played in this for Dundee Utd in 1991 but got beat in the final by Norwich... :(

Relevance to RFC is that we played them in the semi-final and won 1-0. I scored the winner - interesting because I was the keeper and it was straight from a kick out... :whistle:

PS: I note from the same year, Man Utd won the under 16 trophy with Beckham and others.

I played in this for Dundee Utd in 1991 but got beat in the final by Norwich... :(

Relevance to RFC is that we played them in the semi-final and won 1-0. I scored the winner - interesting because I was the keeper and it was straight from a kick out... :whistle:

PS: I note from the same year, Man Utd won the under 16 trophy with Beckham and others.

Do they allow over-age players ? :)

I was 14 years young ya cheeky scamp...

Those were the days! I even had hair... :cool:

Was Steph McConalogue and Kevin MacDonald maybe a year or two below you at that time at Dundee Utd Frankie?

Was Steph McConalogue and Kevin MacDonald maybe a year or two below you at that time at Dundee Utd Frankie?

Not sure mate. The Milk Cup was my first games for Utd and I signed 'S' Form a few weeks after the tournament.

Although we used to spend pre-season at Tannadice, most of the youth games were in the central belt. At that time (just before the pro-Youth leagues took shape) Utd had a key interest in a team called Helenvale (IIRC) where a fair portion of the young players trained and played for on a week-to-week basis. At that time I played for Hutchie Vale though so I refused to move from them. There was also bi-weekly training in Edinburgh/Bathgate for the East coast players.

All in all, although Utd were always considered the lead youth developers at that time, it was pretty much a shambles.

Not sure mate. The Milk Cup was my first games for Utd and I signed 'S' Form a few weeks after the tournament.

Although we used to spend pre-season at Tannadice, most of the youth games were in the central belt. At that time (just before the pro-Youth leagues took shape) Utd had a key interest in a team called Helenvale (IIRC) where a fair portion of the young players trained and played for on a week-to-week basis. At that time I played for Hutchie Vale though so I refused to move from them. There was also bi-weekly training in Edinburgh/Bathgate for the East coast players.

All in all, although Utd were always considered the lead youth developers at that time, it was pretty much a shambles.

McConalogue played a few first team games, not sure about McDonald. My mate James Bruce was a few years after them he spent a fair time with Utd but got released at 17.