Regarding Walter Smith, I suppose you have to weigh up if playing attractive football and not making progress in the CL, is better than playing negative football and making the UEFA Cup final. Difficult one. There seemed to be a Largs football philosophy at the time championing quite a negative style 4-5-1. I think Smith's style in Europe at times was ridiculously defensive, but if he had employed better counter attack methods it would have been more palatable.

Personally. if I were a rangers fan I would have been accepting of Smith's later tactics in Europe as they produced results. And I don't mind watching busses being parked, if one team is attacking.

Regarding Walter Smith, I suppose you have to weigh up if playing attractive football and not making progress in the CL, is better than playing negative football and making the UEFA Cup final. Difficult one. There seemed to be a Largs football philosophy at the time championing quite a negative style 4-5-1. I think Smith's style in Europe at times was ridiculously defensive, but if he had employed better counter attack methods it would have been more palatable.

Personally. if I were a rangers fan I would have been accepting of Smith's later tactics in Europe as they produced results. And I don't mind watching busses being parked, if one team is attacking.

The tactics were fine for playing away from home in Europe

Against middling teams and dross it shouldn't have been adopted at home.

I don't think it's difficult at all. Who remembers all the attractive teams that got dumped out of the CL?

We have to look at the two Smith periods seperately. In the first period we did play very attractive football at times, both domestcally and in Europe, but Smith too often got his tactics wrong and/or our big names didn't turn up on the nights - but, apart from the first CL season, we did nothing at all in Europe and were on the wrong side of a few humpings (Ajax, Juventus anyone?).

Smith part two saw us play some turgid stuff at times, but we were successful beyond anything we had a right to imagine both domestically and in Europe given the quality of players we had. And the reason was that, this time, he got his tactics, spot on - in all except the last game against Zenit, when we should have gone for them.

As far as Walter goes, you have to ask the questions; could any other manager have taken us to 9 in a row? Possibly. Probably, in fact given the money we had available.

But could any other manager have won 3 in a row, come witing a gnat's ba' hair of four in a row and taken us to a European final with the squad we had?

That's more doubtful.

• 3 weeks later...

Our situation has become such a mess again that I'm not sure if there's any point replacing Ally any time soon. I have been wanting us to open the position up to applicants from day 1 but with potential administration round the corner I'm not sure who would be interested.

Then again I still think anyone would be an improvement.