Any recommended downloads to help speed up my laptop?

I am using firefox,thinking about changing to google chrome?,not sure if that will help?,also running a defragmentation just now to see if that helps?

What kind of laptop do you have? There isn't really any software that's just going to magically speed it up. You need to establish what is causing it to be slow. Check if anything is specifically using a lot of system resources by pressing ctrl shift and escape on your keyboard. Remove any unwanted programs. Google anything dodgy looking that you are not familiar with as it may be malware. Look specifically for anything using a lot of memory, you can sort by size. Clear your temp folder as this is where most malware is stored. Run malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Do you have anti virus?

If it's old and past the warranty you might be as well backing it up then reformatting it and loading on windows again.

Ian, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run the online internet connection speed test, then tell us the results and what ISP and connection type you're using.

I'm getting these results:

Ping - 16ms

Download speed - 62.67 Mbps

Upload speed - 3.01 Mbps

That's via Virgin Media ISP using one of their Super Hubs with a network cable connection as opposed to wi-fi.

One good tip for improving a laptop connection speed is to use a hard line (physical network cable) connection instead of the wi-fi.

Edited by Zappa

Ian, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run the online internet connection speed test, then tell us the results and what ISP and connection type you're using.

I'm getting these results:

Ping - 16ms

Download speed - 62.67 Mbps

Upload speed - 3.01 Mbps

That's via Virgin Media ISP using one of their Super Hubs with a network cable connection as opposed to wi-fi.

One good tip for improving a laptop connection speed is to use a hard line (physical network cable) connection instead of the wi-fi.

Show off! I have 55 mbps at home and only 2.96 mbps at work.

On my phone just now, I downloaded malwarebytes like sbs suggested and closed down my laptop after it was completed, will check again when I get back home tonight, cheers guys, I think when I watch the fitba on dodgy streams it causes problems?, anyway I will check tonight

On my phone just now, I downloaded malwarebytes like sbs suggested and closed down my laptop after it was completed, will check again when I get back home tonight, cheers guys, I think when I watch the fitba on dodgy streams it causes problems?, anyway I will check tonight

I work in IT and 9/10 if I see a machine that's running really slow it's full of malware. Deleting temp folder, spyware applications in add/remove programs and running malwarebytes usually gets the job done. The football streams are bad for malware. Make sure you have a pop up blocker.

If you download the paid version of malwarebytes it offers real time protection.

I work in IT and 9/10 if I see a machine that's running really slow it's full of malware. Deleting temp folder, spyware applications in add/remove programs and running malwarebytes usually gets the job done. The football streams are bad for malware. Make sure you have a pop up blocker.

If you download the paid version of malwarebytes it offers real time protection.

I did download and paid for it, then ran a scan and quarantined a few hundred items, just need to try the laptop again when I get home, cheers