Laws Of The Game: What Changes Would You Make?

I said this elsewhere about entire teams being brought back to defend corner kicks:

I can see the time coming when the football authorities will feel inclined to amend the laws of the game regarding every player back at a corner kick.

This tactic is designed to clog up the area, limit runs, deny space and minimise goalscoring opportunities, and the outcome is often a series of fouls which may or may not be punished. Officials usually favour the defending team and too often a promising moment in the game fizzles out when a free-kick is awarded. It'll take an extensive trial and error period before the cure is found, but if the football authorities want to make the game better, they really need to guard against coaches and managers who are too often negative and safety-first. The general well-being of the sport comes first and eleven players in the box defending corner kicks is not something that should be tolerated indefinitely.

In addition, now that we have a fourth official, I see no reason why the game should be stopped to make substitutions. Players on winning teams who are about to be hooked are often told to go to the either side of the pitch before their number is called, and then they make the long, slow walk to the dugout. Let the fourth official take care of this and let the game flow. Managers know that this is an effective time wasting tactic. That's why they do it.

On the same subject, let's draw the line at the 75th or 80th minute regarding substitutions. After this point, no matter what happens, no more substitutions should be allowed. If a player has to go off injured, so be it. We really need to end this business of time-wasting substitutions being made deep into injury time purely to upset the game's rhythm and waste more time.

(First paragraph copied from other thread)

That's an excellent point but let's say you changed the Laws so that a team defending a corner was limited to 8 or 9 players inside the box then (in a McCoist team) the others would inevitably be standing just outside leading to more issues for the already over-worked officials (although you are correct that might be a good use of the 4th official; but not sure they have them at all levels). You could say the others had to be a certain distance away but that would be even more difficult to police unless they had to be over the half way line so that one linesman could keep an eye on that.

The last big change to the Laws, ending passbacks to the goalkeepers hands, had an enormous impact on the game.

The offside law must be the most changed over the years from the beginnings when ANY player in front of the ball was offside, through 3 defenders to the modern day 2 defender rule with advantage to the attackers and a very narrow definition of "interfering" or "gaining an advantage by being in (the offiside) position". Personally I think the game would be speeded up if the decision was given at the moment the ball was played as was the case until recent years rather than waiting to see if the offside player actually plays the ball or gains an advantage, which of itself would probabaly mean a return to the "seeks to gain an advantage" version. I'm certain defenders would much prefer this and as spectator it means you don't have the uncertainty and delay of waiting for an inevitable decision when a player is obviously well offside.

Edited by BrahimHemdani
typo

Only the gk,five defenders and five attackers in the penalty area until the corner is taken. Unworkable really as footballers can't count and probably unenforceable.

"Corners" to be taken from the bye-line where the ref adjudges the ball to have gone out of play but never nearer to the goal post than the junction of the six yard line with the bye-line the team taking the "corner" to have the option of a throw.

Penalty to be awarded in the event of a player in green and white hoops attempting to kick the ball.

Red card for shirt pulling in penalty area, attacker or defender, yellow card elsewhere on the field.

"Shepherding" the ball out of play by blocking an opposing player to be punished by direct free kick, penalty if in the box.

(First paragraph copied from other thread)

That's an excellent point but let's say you changed the Laws so that a team defending a corner was limited to 8 or 9 players inside the box then (in a McCoist team) the others would inevitably be standing just outside leading to more issues for the already over-worked officials (although you are correct that might be a good use of the 4th official; but not usre they have them at all levels). You could say the others had to be a certain distance away but that would be even more difficult to police unless they had to be over the half way line so that one linesman could keep an eye on that.

The last big change to the Laws, ending passbacks to the goalkeepers hands, had an enormous impact on the game.

The offside law must be the most changed over the years from the beginnings when ANY player in front of the ball was offside, through 3 defenders to the modern day 2 defender rule with advantage to the attackers and a very narrow definition of "interfering" or "gaining an advantage by being in (the offiside) position. Personally I think the game would be speeded up if the decision was given at the moment the ball was played as was the case until recent years rather than waiting to see if the offside player actually plays the ball or gains an advantage, which of itself would probabaly mean a return to the "seeks to gain an advantage" version. I'm certain defenders would much prefer this and as spectator it means you don't have the uncertainty and delay of waiting for an inevitable decision when a player is obviously well offside.

Are you happy with the corner kick situation as it now stands? I'm not. The ball is effectively fired into a tight group of players in a small space and the outcome is rarely satisfactory. If we want the sport to improve, would it not be a good idea for the football authorities to look into this and try out one or two innovative ideas that could be accepted in the future?

Would you be against that?

What about my suggestions on substitutes? Have you anything to add?

Are you happy with the corner kick situation as it now stands? I'm not. The ball is effectively fired into a tight group of players in a small space and the outcome is rarely satisfactory. If we want the sport to improve, would it not be a good idea for the football authorities to look into this and try out one or two innovative ideas that could be accepted in the future?

Would you be against that?

What about my suggestions on substitutes? Have you anything to add?

Corner kicks have been around almost as long as football itself and unchanged since being adopted by the Football Association coincidentally in 1872. I think there is merit in Scott7's suggestion that if the ball goes out between the penalty line and the touch line the corner is taken from where the ball goes out (allowing that within the penalty box would just result in chaos). However, teams themselves need to be much more inventive from corners.

I agree that there needs to be an effective sanction against time wasting late substitutions but the referee has discretion to add as much time as he likes it is not limited to 30 seconds. Referees can make it clear that they are adding on all the time taken for the substitution. I'm not sure if an arbitrary time limit such as you suggest would be a good idea; you'd just have a rush of subs at the deadline.

I might be in favour of no substitutions in extra time in cup ties; so any sub had to be made before the extra time starts.

Not a law as such, but I'd fine players for humping the ball forward. I'd also fine the midfield for not making themselves available and leaving defenders and keepers to go long.

How about fining the Manager for the various deficencies that we perceive in team selection, tactics and performance; or is that the other thread :basher:

The whole rule book needs to be drasticlaly overhauled.The two most obvious ones for me are the annoying off-side calls,and the most annoying of them all,holding on to an opponents shirt should be an

automatic red card.It is now an every day practice to grab a shirt,and should be totally banned from the game.