Laws Of The Game: What Changes Would You Make?

The whole rule book needs to be drasticlaly overhauled.The two most obvious ones for me are the annoying off-side calls,and the most annoying of them all,holding on to an opponents shirt should be an

automatic red card.It is now an every day practice to grab a shirt,and should be totally banned from the game.

Perhaps the modern teend to skin tight shirts as in rugby is an appreciation of what you say.

Corner kicks have been around almost as long as football itself and unchanged since being adopted by the Football Association coincidentally in 1872. I think there is merit in Scott7's suggestion that if the ball goes out between the penalty line and the touch line the corner is taken from where the ball goes out (allowing that within the penalty box would just result in chaos). However, teams themselves need to be much more inventive from corners.

I agree that there needs to be an effective sanction against time wasting late substitutions but the referee has discretion to add as much time as he likes it is not limited to 30 seconds. Referees can make it clear that they are adding on all the time taken for the substitution. I'm not sure if an arbitrary time limit such as you suggest would be a good idea; you'd just have a rush of subs at the deadline.

I might be in favour of no substitutions in extra time in cup ties; so any sub had to be made before the extra time starts.

We needed offside to stop players 'poaching' and shortcutting the whole process of the way the game is played.

I think we need a revision of the corner kick because a penalty box full of players clawing, pulling, tugging, grabbing and pushing is a low point in the way the game is played.

There is no obvious solution to this but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be trying to find one. Imagine what it must have been like when offside was first introduced. The sport's main body has to face down the cynicism and negativity of coaches when they go too far. It is generally accepted that the passback rule was good for the game but not too many thought it would prove to be anywhere near as successful as it has turned out to be.

Re substitutes, it wouldn't be a bad thing if the final glut of substitutes all appeared at the 75th minute. The rest of the game would be played out without unnecessary timeouts and that would be a pleasure to see.

What about no stoppage in play when substitutions are made? Leave it all to the fourth official. It would give him something to do other than being a sounding board for greeting managers.

We could learn a lot from rugby with regards to making the game flow, and maintaining discipline of players. Things like treating injuries while the game continues, and sin bins etc. I think they also have a better time-keeping system, and stop the clock on occasions, although fuck knows why sometimes.

You rarely hear people moaning about rugby referees, even though it seems a more complicated game. TV replays have probably helped in this respect, but we all know FIFA love all rule changes to be applicable to all levels of the game.

Perhaps the modern teend to skin tight shirts as in rugby is an appreciation of what you say.

Or FIFA simply legislate, use of hands is an absolute no-no.AUTOMATIC RED. grabbing the shirt would dissappear overnight.

We could learn a lot from rugby with regards to making the game flow, and maintaining discipline of players. Things like treating injuries while the game continues, and sin bins etc. I think they also have a better time-keeping system, and stop the clock on occasions, although fuck knows why sometimes.

You rarely hear people moaning about rugby referees, even though it seems a more complicated game. TV replays have probably helped in this respect, but we all know FIFA love all rule changes to be applicable to all levels of the game.

Officials are far better respected in rugby and in hockey than in football. I'm not keen on the sin bin idea though.

Or FIFA simply legislate, use of hands is an absolute no-no.AUTOMATIC RED. grabbing the shirt would dissappear overnight.

Does the referee still have the ability to move a free kick ten yards further forward if there is dissent when it is awarded?

If so, it is rarely applied.

Officials are far better respected in rugby and in hockey than in football. I'm not keen on the sin bin idea though.

I think a sin bin can punish minor indiscretions, without ruining the whole game. I'm sure you can still get ordered off in rugby for the more serious offences. Does giving a player a yellow card in the last 10 minutes really punish a team? Or would 10 minutes sat in a sin bin stop the constant time wasting?

I think a sin bin can punish minor indiscretions, without ruining the whole game. I'm sure you can still get ordered off in rugby for the more serious offences. Does giving a player a yellow card in the last 10 minutes really punish a team? Or would 10 minutes sat in a sin bin stop the constant time wasting?

If a team is coasting and a player without a card to his name wants to sort someone out, ten minutes in the sin bin isn't a punishment at all. With his team 4-0 up, he can mete out a bit of personal 'justice' and relax in the sin bin.

I really don't want to see this in football. I don't think it is needed and I can just imagine how fans would react if important players were sin binned at crucial times in key matches. Generally speaking, fans don't like to see the spectacle ruined by the dismissal of players.

I think we should kick this sin bin idea into touch.

Does the referee still have the ability to move a free kick ten yards further forward if there is dissent when it is awarded?

If so, it is rarely applied.

I believe there is such a rule in the book.I've been watching the game for 50 odd years and can't remember it ever being implemented.

Another thing,what did you guys think of the ref marching off 10 yards and spraying the line down? I've been watching it for afew years in the MLS and it works really well.no encroachment,resulting in far better efforts on goal.