Laws Of The Game: What Changes Would You Make?

If a team is coasting and a player without a card to his name wants to sort someone out, ten minutes in the sin bin isn't a punishment at all. With his team 4-0 up, he can mete out a bit of personal 'justice' and relax in the sin bin.

I really don't want to see this in football. I don't think it is needed and I can just imagine how fans would react if important players were sin binned at crucial times in key matches. Generally speaking, fans don't like to see the spectacle ruined by the dismissal of players.

I think we should kick this sin bin idea into touch.

I think the whole idea of a sin bin is so matches don't get ruined with sending offs. If someone wants to mete out some personal justice, it would still be a red card. The sin bin in rugby generally gets used for minor offences, or repeated minor offences. I seen a guy get it for kicking the ball away the other day. It also stops players getting red cards for two minor offences, like dissent, and then maybe a hand ball. It then reserves red cards for only the most serious of offences. More games would finish 11 v 11 for sure.

These suggestions sound ridiculous. Football is fine as it is.

Who apart from us puts 11 men in the box anyway?

There should never be any rush to change the laws of the game, but I don't imagine teams brought everyone back at corners many years ago when the sport was more cavalier.

Times change though and we now have managers crowding the penalty box at corners specifically to cause congestion and reduce the chances of anything skilful happening. The result is a spectacle that is more bagatelle than beautiful.

Substitutions are relatively new too but we take them for granted. There will be people reading this who remember the days when it was 11 v 11 and no substitutes, and yet the sport still thrived.

Think of the throw-in. What a strange way to restart play but there is merit in it. It limits the advantage of the team taking possession because the ball can't be kicked long distances. When it was first introduced though, I'll bet there were people like you suggesting that the game should be left alone.

A gentle evolution in the laws of the game has been going on since the game began, and it continues today - as it should.

What about no stoppage in play when substitutions are made? Leave it all to the fourth official. It would give him something to do other than being a sounding board for greeting managers.

That wouldn't work because the sub could come on and interfere with play.

I believe there is such a rule in the book.I've been watching the game for 50 odd years and can't remember it ever being implemented.

Another thing,what did you guys think of the ref marching off 10 yards and spraying the line down? I've been watching it for afew years in the MLS and it works really well.no encroachment,resulting in far better efforts on goal.

Yes it worked really well in the World Cup and is being adopted in the EPL this season and no doubt in other top leagues.

Only issue I have with it is it has to be clear if the players must stand behind the line i.e. not touching it at all, as it was noticeabale after the first few WC matches that players started to stand on top of, then more or less in front of the line; taking their queue from the rule as it applies to other lines on the pitch.

The fourth official wouldn't let him on until a player had come off.

You'd be down to 10 men then. No stoppage implies one goes off and the other goes on at the same time; chaos ensues. There's a reason why players aren't allowed to run off and on the park, unless through accident; the reason is it would cause mayhem.

You'd be down to 10 men then. No stoppage implies one goes off and the other goes on at the same time; chaos ensues. There's a reason why players aren't allowed to run off and on the park, unless through accident; the reason is it would cause mayhem.

Under the watchful eye of the fourth official, making life a little easier for the referee, one player leaves the field and is replaced at that same moment by another.

No stoppage. No time wasted.

The player coming off may even be urged to get a move on by his manager if he is eager to get a replacement on.

Under the watchful eye of the fourth official, making life a little easier for the referee, one player leaves the field and is replaced at that same moment by another.

No stoppage. No time wasted.

The player coming off may even be urged to get a move on by his manager if he is eager to get a replacement on.

The referee has to be in control of what's happening on the field of play; supposing the player going off or the one coming on takes a swipe at at an opponent, then it's going to be down to the 4th official.

Sorry just don't like it.