Kenny McDowall has confirmed his decision to quit Celtic's coaching staff in favour of a move to Rangers was all down to Walter Smith.

Celtic were powerless to stop McDowall leaving Parkhead, a move they confirmed on Tuesday, as he was working without a contract.

The former Partick striker is now set to start work as first-team coach with the Ibrox side, having been responsible for the reserves in his time at Celtic.

Scotland boss Smith is thought to be close to being installed at Rangers, with both he and Ally McCoist returning to the club to front the management team.

McDowall, 43, told the Daily Record: "The big pull was the chance to work with guys like Walter Smith and Ally McCoist in a first-team environment."

He added: "I'm an ambitious guy and I would have wanted to speak to Walter about this role regardless of my contractual situation at Celtic."

McDowall also confirmed he had met with Smith to discuss the Rangers role, news which may not be welcomed by the Scottish Football Association, to whom the 58-year-old national coach remains contracted.

McDowall explained: "I don't know him that well but by the end of the meeting I felt as if I had known him for a hundred years."

Wonder when that meeting took place, seems to me that Smith was contacted either before PLG left or on the same day to have had a meeting with this guy so fast.

Just how enthusiastic is McDowell to be working with the team he has always supported ? And if he can do for us what he has done for them then we certainly can't complain !

From skysports

Celtic's former reserve and youth team coach Kenny McDowall has revealed the lure of working under Walter Smith at Rangers was too good a chance to refuse.

McDowall walked out on the SPL champions on Monday after being offered the chance by Smith to work under Rangers' new management team at Ibrox.

Smith and Ally McCoist are expected to take the reins from Paul Le Guen this week and the current Scotland national team boss made the call to McDowall to gauge his thoughts.

McDowall wasted little time in accepting Smith's offer and the life-long Rangers fan is now eagerly anticipating the opportunity to play a part in helping restore the fallen giants.

"It's an absolutely brilliant move for me, but it's something I couldn't have seen coming," McDowall told the Daily Record.

"When I got the call I was amazed. It's a great opportunity for me and I can't wait to get started. I'm relishing this chance.

"The big pull was the chance to work with guys like Walter Smith and All McCoist in a first-team environment.

"Even if I was under contract at Celtic I would still have jumped at this job. It all comes down to ambition in the end.

"I was a Rangers fan all my life but I went to Celtic without any problem. When the offer came I didn't even give it a second thought.

"I could have stayed at Celtic and waited and waited, but the opportunity might never have come. I don't blame Celtic for that.

"I feel I've done my bit at that level and the time have come for me to move on. I need to be working on a Saturday again."