Will this board sack him? Do they have an idea whom they'd replace him with?

I don't know if they will or indeed are in a position to do so.

If the executive board were serious about changing and developing the football operation as per the Business Review (April 2014), ...... and the finances, as Mr.Wallace told us were in a robust state, ........and we could trust the executive board to do the right thing by the football club then......... maybe now would be the moment.

But because we are an Omnishambles at all levels with no money and varying motivations...........then it's all up in the air.

Let's get one thing clear. If Rangers are not promoted this season, it will be the biggest onfield disaster we have ever known.

Those who defend the manager know perfectly well, just as his critics do, that the club could do significantly better in this area and yet McCoist is still supported as though he is the right man to take us forward. He is defended because of what he did as a player. Even his most ardent fans struggle to make a case for him staying as a manager.

If you back McCoist, and if you really can't make a reasonable case for backing him, you really have ask yourself if your loyalty to the man has overtaken your loyalty to the club.

We can't afford to fail this season and yet we have retained the services of a manager that football just doesn't rate. I do not believe that there is any excuse for this.

Sacking him now would be insanity. The fall-out while we search for a replacement would probably cost us the league before it's even began. It's not like we can give a new manager a war chest to replace some the duds we currently have. If he fails to win this league, he will do the right thing.

The truth is, we're in no way ready for the top league, which is even more frightening than our poor football.

My concern Zap is that most of what I have written is not actually based on todays result - and sadly' date=' I think most of us would agree with your reasoning about temporarily at least, re-defining expectations.

But our manager is responsible for the long term footballing strategy and I dont think that looks positive at all, and thats down to a combination of his signings and team selections. We have had numerous opportunities to blood youngsters and give them a step up and chance to see what they can do - was winning the league unbeaten last season really so important ? Id much rather once that league had been sown up we had introduced more of our youngsters where we could have given them an extended run of games in the 1st team.

We have our brightest talent Macleod playing wide out of position, whilst the likes of McKay, who is a wide player, was loaned out last season ? Where is the logic in that ?

There comes a point, particularly against lower opposition when it not only about churning out results - but having a fluidity and pattern to our play which augurs well for the future. That sadly has been lacking for too long.[/quote']

I'm as unhappy as anyone about having to even think about, never mind actually talk about re-defining expectations D'Art, but it's undoubtedly where we are as a club at the moment and have been ever since we went into administration.

To be fair, I think some of the staff at the club have had an even more difficult time of it than us fans over the past two to three years and I'm not talking about anyone in particular.

Ok, so many of the staff are extremely well paid for their services and arguably overpaid, but let's not forget the ongoing doubts over their job security. In fact, overall job security throughout the club has possibly never been lower.

Regarding long term footballing strategies, I've honestly never understood why fans have talked about that and so-called 'footballing philosophies' so much while we've been in this mess because I've always thought that the time to really start properly building for the future again is when we're back up and have the money to invest in quality rather than quantity.

That said, when we were served with the transfer embargo forbidding us to sign players over the age of 18, it was as clear as day at the time that we should have taken advantage of it and signed some really top class U18 talent, so that's one area where I think we REALLY missed out on an opportunity because yet again it seemed to be more about making signings to help with ST sales more than anything else.

It's a complex subject though because essentially, any manager in charge over this hellish period could have signed and played more youth prospects, but what if he'd failed to win the 4th tier title or the 3rd tier title? What if Ally had been sacked early doors by Green and a new manager came in, made some great youth prospect signings and even had the team playing some great football at times in the 4th tier, but failed to win the league or promotion?

That's taking us into the territory of 'ifs & buts', although in fairness, we're probably there already when we start talking about the manager's failings and what someone else 'might' have done better.

I wouldn't mind lowering expectations temporarily if we were paying our players in line with lower league players and charging fans lower league prices but we ain't. We are operating as a top flight European level football club, it's natural fans will demand better than Ally and co can give. It's simply not good enough.

keith jackson ‏@tedermeatballs 47m

For those asking about McCoist leaving Rangers tonight the rumours are untrue. There are tensions behind the scenes however.

keith jackson ‏@tedermeatballs 1m

More on the tensions behind the scenes at Ibrox in my column tomorrow...