What about the next? We should be thinking ahead to the next 5 and 10 years not just this season!

Smith turns 29 soon, so his age is far from ideal, but if Wallace was sold, Smith's a player who's good enough to compete for the left back position for this season and next season.

Obviously I agree about thinking ahead and building for the future though and if Wallace was sold I wouldn't like to think we'd replace him with Simon Lappin.

If you mean Smith, then that's a bit tough on him because he was with us for a long time before leaving and did well to get a lot of games in some good Rangers teams while he wasn't necessarily a 1st choice pick.

Personally, I think Smith is a more talented footballer than Wallace, but Wallace has the advantage of his 'beep beep' roadrunner style pace for bombing down the wing.

its not tough on him at all , its a statement of fact

he's injury prone and no replacement whatsoever

the sale of wallace will be desperation to keep the lights on at Ibrox because the club is bankrupt again due to mismanagement

its not tough on him at all , its a statement of fact

he's injury prone and no replacement whatsoever

There's no arguing with the fact that he's been unlucky with injuries during his career, but has it always been injuries which have stopped him playing a full season or is it more along the lines of some seasons he's been injured and others he's been second choice, so only got games when the 1st choice LB got injured or something else let him get a start?

I think it's a whole combination of things, but I do think Stevie Smith has shown that he's a good player.

Maybe with a solid run of games at LB instead of stop/start chances he might show that he's worthy of a 1st choice start for a couple of seasons?

the sale of wallace will be desperation to keep the lights on at Ibrox because the club is bankrupt again due to mismanagement

There's no arguing with that.

JHunter actually raises a very valuable point. In 10 seasons of professional football he has played 126 league games, seems unlikely with him turning 29 he will ever regularly play 30 + a season.

It definitely is a good point, but as I said to JH, how many of those seasons was Smith actually allowed the chance to start games? Let's be fair here, it's not every single season that he's had an injury keeping him out of the team because we know for a fact that Papac kept Smith out of the team for periods while Smith was fit and that's only over a what?.. four year period out of the 10?

Apparently he is only an average left back who will only attract interest from lesser teams if he is sold on the cheap.

But he is, Brighton? Is that the best he can do? Why not a Derby, QPR, Fulham, Norwich, Southampton or WBA? I'll tell you why, because he isn't even that good.