No I agree my first answer was too simplistic. Supercooper, it's not guaranteed income, but say one Alan Hutton and one CL group qualification every three years would be enough to keep rangers sustainable you'd think. And with the money on offer from UEFA from next season with the new TV deal, and with the outrageous fees paid by English clubs right now, (£!2 million Shane Long!) theses two avenues are more attainable than a sugar daddy, or squeezing the fans for more money every year.

Der Berliner, it is true that other teams are restricted to looking in certain markets i.e. lower division or young scots, and there is a dearth of talent out there in reality, as opposed to 20 years ago. However it just means that Rangers can afford to trade with higher stakes, or be the dominant club in young scottish talent if desired.

I think a new mindset will be required of the rangers support - an acceptance of Rangers (and very other scottish team) as a selling club

“Now we have a full physio department and two sports scientists and fitness coaches in place. We have a recruitment department to look after first-team players all the way down to the youths.

“We can’t be scouting players any more on the back of a Wikipedia page and one individual’s opinion. I’ll want background checks and medical histories.

“None of that was in place, none whatsoever. We can’t be in a position where we’re spending money without having done due diligence....."

That all sounds like a pretty positive outlook towards long-term improvement for the club. Just a pity that the words come from Stubbs at Hibs.

Our business model for the last 20+ years has us making an almost £10m loss every season.

Personally I would take a few years in the wilderness if it meant we got things right and came back stronger. But I highly doubt that will happen

In total agreement. The perfect opportunity arose to do just what you say, but the right people were not in there to do what was best in the long run. The latest in a long line of wasted chances.

Stephen Dobbie?? Whit!!

Yep, one of quite a few decent enough strikers we had back then ... only that our first team was "loaded" with quality in that department at the time (and managers were as reluctant as nowadays to blood youngsters even for 20 mins).