WALTER SMITH is the new manager of Rangers.

Smith's appointment has just been confirmed and he will be joined in the dug-out by Light Blue legend, Ally McCoist, who also makes the move from the Scottish national team to become Rangers' new assistant manager, and Kenny McDowall, the former Celtic reserve boss, who becomes first-team coach.

The new management team's first match in charge will be at Ibrox this Saturday against Dundee United, ironically the team where it all started for Smith.

A club statement reads:

Rangers Football Club today (Wednesday January 10, 2007) confirmed Walter Smith, Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall as the new Management Team.

Walter, who first joined in 1986 as Graeme Souness' assistant before guiding Rangers to its historic Nine In A Row triumph, returns as Manager while Ally joins as Assistant Manager and Kenny completes the new-look backroom team as First-Team Coach.

Chairman Sir David Murray commented: "It is a great pleasure to welcome Walter and Ally back to Rangers Football Club. I have great respect for both men and their achievements and I am convinced they will take the Club forward.

"I would also like to extend a special welcome to Kenny. He has a terrific track record as a coach and will undoubtedly enhance our new Management Team."

Smith, who has transformed Scotland's National side and managed Everton since leaving Ibrox in 1998, has signed a three-year contract with the Club.

He commented: "I am delighted to return to Rangers as Manager. This Club has always been in my blood and I can't wait to get started.

"I am looking forward to teaming up with Ally and Kenny. I worked side by side with Ally during our time with the National team and I am also delighted Kenny has agreed to join us at Ibrox."

McCoist, the Club's record marksman with an incredible 355 goals in 581 appearances between 1983 and 1998, stated: "It was a privilege to pull on the Rangers jersey for so many years but I am delighted to return as Assistant Manager.

"I was honoured to be named in the Greatest Ever Rangers Team and included in the Club's Hall of Fame but this is something really special. I know the Club inside out and I am ready for the challenge."

McDowall, the former St Mirren and Partick Thistle striker who has a proven track record as a youth coach with Celtic FC, commented: "This is an exciting new chapter in my life and I am relishing the chance to team up with Walter and Ally at Rangers.

"Working at Murray Park on a daily basis will also be a real thrill."

Press Conference shortly.

It mentions that Smiths first game in charge in his first stint was against Dun Utd. Does anyone know the score from that day?

Guys on Sky Sports News were saying when he took over he beat St. Mirren on his first game in charge, lost to Motherwell then beat Aberdeen for the title.

But meh, I can't remember to be honest.