“If you wanted to know the latest news on their tax travails, rangerstaxcase was a place you went because, unlike newspapers or radio stations, rangerstaxcase was connected to the heart of the FTT and everybody knew it.

It had documents and detail that were beyond dispute. When illustrating one point it was making it would summon up information that could only have come from somebody within, or very close to, the tribunal”

(Tom English – The Scotsman 25.11.2012)

"The day I read the Vanguard Bears is the day I gouge out my own eyes"

(Tom English - Twitter 21.08.2014)

Its good to know that Tom English has found some sort of journalistic morality of late, however it may present a conflict of interests with his new employer, BBC Scotland. Or does the morality of source over story only apply in certain circumstances ? After all, Tom is now working for an employer who were happy to utilise not just stolen property, but stolen evidence from the Rangers Tax Tribunal, if Lord Nimmo Smith's conclusions are correct.

But in his new found morality Tom has excluded himself from the knowledge that Vanguard Bears appear to have successfully cultivated a mole, perhaps within the SFA itself, as previous revelations, including documentary evidence, suggest. And could this latest expose, while perhaps lacking in documentary evidence, be a clear signpost to of a course of unedifying, unprofessional and negligent conduct involving our footballs higher echelons of administration ? Especially when viewed in the context of previous disclosed e-mails and agreements. Nope of course not – nothing to see here – move along please.

But should we really be surprised ? After all there seems little excitement in journalistic circles that those in charge of Scottish Football were prepared to find Rangers guilty prior to trial as well as inflict draconian type punishments on a club which had yet to be found guilty. Morality ?

Perhaps some of those journalists, and there have been many of late, who remind us of the impoverished state of our game via their daily columns, care to consider if perhaps they have a role to play. After all if the head of our game is more worried about being on time for a dinner date rather than what was probably one of the most critical meetings in the history of our game, is there not something fundamentally wrong ?

What is particularly alarming in this whole episode are those gleefully re tweeting Tom English's original tweet. It does not matter that journalists will ignore story over source, it does not matter that it contains allegations of incompetence, of lack of prioritisation, of utter disdain for the game of football in Scotland (ironically affecting their own clubs) – so long as Rangers or Rangers fans get it in the neck - then that makes it okay.

But let's not be too harsh on Stewart Regan – I’m told there is a certain restaurant in Leeds which does a succulent lamb to die for.

It looks like football in Scotland will be the sacrificial lamb.

Edited by D'Artagnan

Or does the morality of source over story only apply in certain circumstances?

Indeed! I distinctly remember Dublin Tom being lauded from surprising quarters for doing his big interview with Craig Whyte. :)

It's a funny old game.

Poor Tom isn't about to change his mind on the issue given he blames all involved with Rangers FC - including you and I - for what happened.

FWIW, I think VB have went about this wrongly so far but I'd be happy to be proven wrong when they finally finish this expose.

If anyone ever wonders why the media is held in such low regard in this country then they need look no further than the likes of English, Spiers,Gibbons and the rest of the Rangers-hating pond life which passes off as so-called journalists in this country. They do not even hide it either.On the rare occasion I have read an article about Rangers by any of these pseudo journalists the hatred and bitterness is such that were it written about ethnic groups then action would undoubtedly be taken.And rightly so.

One wonders if the editors of any of the publications they work for or have worked for ever considered that these employing these clowns had a damaging effect on their dwindling circulations.

Now of course we have English employed at that great bastion of British Broadcasting down at Pacific Quay following his ignominious exit from the failing Scotsman. His is in good company down there is he not? He has joined fellow Rangers haters McLaughlin,Cosgrove,Cowan,Spiers etc and will no doubt do a sterling job maintaining the anti-rangers bias. Of course the BBC is different to anywhere else English will have worked in that employment there is more or less guaranteed thanks to the ridiculously outdated licence fee and the likes of viewing figures and listeners matter not a jot.

The only solution I can see to all this is for all Rangers supporters to continue to bombard the BBC trust with complaints as and when these cretins produce their now-expected bias and lies so as the trust will hopefully see sense and bin the lot of them. One can only hope I suppose.

Wonder if English or any of his pacific quay cohorts will report that Celt@c are now officially under investigation by the EC for receiving state aid.Probably not.

BBC Scotland reported the story in January this year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-25658184

They've not updated it since it was revealed that the NHS deal is being investigated as well. Perhaps English should explain that in his haste to mock the story.

Wasn't it the case that the EC were obliged to investigate the case after receiving a complaint from a Rangers fan, rather than an 'independant' complainant?

Yes, the EC are obliged to investigate, regardless of where the complaint comes from.