As we know, there are very long memories in the Celtic-minded ranks, and episodes like this are probably well remembered by the likes of Michael Kelly, John Reid and George Galloway:

Letters reveal SNP crisis over ‘bigoted’ president’s anti-Catholic diatribes (From The Times 11-9-2010)

DAVID TORRANCE

http://davidtorrance.com/letters-reveal-snp-crisi-over-bigoted-presidents-anti-catholic-diatribes-from-the-times-11-9-2010/

Perceptions have indeed changed, but for the Celtic-minded, I seriously doubt if they have changed enough.

That was an interesting read, I did not know that. I would agree with your assessment.

Whether it is to support a perception or an agenda they can have long memories when it suits them.

I'd venture that the above statements are totally wrong.

You might be right, it's hard to be exact about these things. Anecdotally most of the RCs I'm friendly with are 'No' voters, but I do know a couple of 'Yes' voters, they're both quite young though.

Statistically Inverclyde has the highest percentage of Roman Catholics of any area in Scotland (37%) then North Lanarkshire (35%) West Dunbartonshire (33%) with Glasgow City (27%) and East Renfrewshire, East Dunbartonshire and Renfrewshire on about 22% each.

At the last elections Inverclyde returned a Labour MP and a Labour MSP as well as three Labour list MSPs and two Tory ones.

North Lanarkshire has 4 MPs all are Labour, it has 2 SNP and 2 Labour MSPs with 3 Labour, 1 Tory and 3 SNP list MSPs.

West Dunbartonshire has a Labour MP and a Labour MSP with 3 Labour, 2 Tory and 2 SNP list MSPs.

Glasgow has 7 Westminster constituencies, all of who have Labour MPs, however it has 5 SNP MSPs and only 3 Labour ones. The list MSPs are a bit of everything.

East Ren and Renfrewshire are all Labour MPs and East Dunbartonshire is a Lib Dem! The MSPs are an even split between SNP and Labour.

Now when you look at where the SNP has polled strongly previously you see Angus (RC population 7%), Western Isles (12%), Moray (7%), Perth (9%) and Aberdeenshire (5%).

Not all the RCs in Inverclyde or North Lanarkshire or Glasgow voted Labour, but a fair number of them must have. A number might have switched since the last elections or might feel this isn't a party political issue.

But statistically, in Scotland, the larger the RC population the higher the vote for a unionist party.