Lee Wallace concedes his chances of playing for Scotland again are very slim

The 27-year-old is not expected to be named in Gordon Strachan's latest squad for next month's 2016 Euro qualifier against Germany

Wallace last played for Scotland in a friendly against the USA last November

However the defender has no regrets over sacrificing his international career to help Rangers climb up the leagues in Scotland

Rangers full-back Lee Wallace has admitted he has all but given up hope of playing for Scotland.

The 27-year-old defender, who last played for his country in a 0-0 draw with the United States last November, is set to miss the trip to face World Champions Germany in next month's 2016 Euro qualifier when Scotland boss Gordon Strachan names his squad on Monday morning.

Conceding he sacrificed his international ambitions to stay with Rangers and help them back up the leagues, Wallace revealed he has also received a phonecall from Strachan explaining his situation.

And asked if he expects to feature against the Germans, he admitted: 'Probably not, no. I'm still probably a bit behind. There are guys who have been in it who are way ahead of me at this stage — guys who play their football down south in strong successful sides.

'I'll never hold much hope for it but I'm not going to get too downbeat about it, either, as I'm just going to concentrate on Rangers and always will do.

'When I stayed with Rangers after what happened, I knew that [playing in the lower leagues] would be a stumbling block [for international call-ups] and Craig Levein had said at the time it would be difficult to select someone in the bottom tier of Scottish football.

'I accepted that and understood it at that level.

'I was aware of that and it was a sacrifice I made. Rangers is the one for me and I want to play a part in their history over the next few years.'

The emergence of Andrew Robertson at Dundee United led to the young left-back making a £2.5million move to Hull City this summer.

And the 20-year-old, who has made an impressive start in the Barclays Premier League, now looks to be Strachan's first pick, with Wallace adding: 'I kind of got the message in some of the last few squads - although the manager did phone me one time to say he wanted to look at other people and they've gone on to bigger and better things, playing their football in one of the best leagues in the world.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2733448/Rangers-defender-Lee-Wallace-concedes-chances-playing-Scotland-slim-putting-club-career-first.html#ixzz3BNxU4eqS

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He can kid himself on all he likes, but there are others who are preferred in his position simply because they are better than him. One could perhaps see his point if he/the club had been turning down multiple bids from the English Premier, but that hasn't happened.

Wallace is a good player but has two distinct deficiencies - 1) his defensive work isn't great (he gets drawn inside too often and doesn't prevent enough crosses) and 2) while his attacking work is generally impressive, his final ball is far too inconsistent.

I think he's good enough to play for Scotland but he can't complain considering his and the club's current position.

Andrew Robertson is a better LB than Wallace with room to improve, can't believe we never attempted to sign him!. Wallace deserves praise for sticking with Rangers IMO but it has cost him his Scotland place.

Andrew Robertson is a better LB than Wallace with room to improve, can't believe we never attempted to sign him!. Wallace deserves praise for sticking with Rangers IMO but it has cost him his Scotland place.

Maybe the £2.5M fee was a 'slight' stumbling block there Ian :-)

One of two articles I've seen this morning that very subtly push the 'siege mentality' card for no good or justifiable reason.

I have seen this coming from various quarters in the last couple of weeks.

The other I saw today was the Stephen Halliday piece in The Scotsman

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl-lower-divisions/crisis-rangers-punters-still-show-up-in-numbers-1-3519699

Maybe the £2.5M fee was a 'slight' stumbling block there Ian :-)

I think Ian means before he signed for Dundee Utd when he played against us for Queens Park.

That's fair enough but chances are he wouldn't have played or developed in the same way if he had as Wallace is/was always going to be our number one left back.

'I was aware of that and it was a sacrifice I made. Rangers is the one for me and I want to play a part in their history over the next few years.'

An FFer remarked quite correctly:

If this remains, Lee Wallace will be our captain.

He also has the potential to go down in history as one of the (if not "the") greatest Rangers ever given he stayed, he sacrificed himself and he ended up having a long career with us.