League Cup Draw : Falkirk v Rangers/ICT (plus seeding talk)

Clyde had a home tie against Cowdenbeath.

Had the fact that we were able to set up an away friendly against Derby County on the same date anything to do with it ?....ie. rather than look for alternative venue.

Derby who were beaten by Queens Park (1-2) Rangers in last seasons play-off :flute:

For some strange reason we were allowed to avoid playing the 1st round tie on the scheduled weekend and arrange the Derby friendly match instead. Even if Airdrie had a home tie organised for the Saturday, there would have been no problem playing this on the Sunday. I could understand us being allowed to cancel a home tie during the CG as policing, stewarding etc were all on CG duty, but for all it would have taken to allow a game to proceed against QP at Airdrie, I still dont understand why we were allowed this dispensation.

Not that the club, or the many thousands of Bears who enjoyed the trip to Derby, would be complaining mind you.

ICT have had a decent start to the season, but they've also been held to a scoreless draw at home in Inverness by Dundee.

There's absolutely no reason we should fear playing them with the quality of squad we have.

Yes, it's a potential banana skin because it's likely to be a very tough cup tie, but I won't be going into it thinking we'll lose.

Under the circumstances this seems like a sensible move to keep the draw moving and is only happening because we are already against a seeded team (and as someone says, if we're victors we are worthy of the seeding). I think it's probably popular for most clubs anyway as the smaller teams will relish the game against Rangers and the money it brings, while the seeded teams should want to avoid us until the later stages as we are still easily a top 8 side of those left in the tournament. In the end it will also be better for the tournament. Only one team can lose out slightly and I doubt they can grumble about real sporting integrity when seeded below the likes of Rangers which will be their natural seeding.

So who are the old 8th seeds anyway?

ICT have had a decent start to the season, but they've also been held to a scoreless draw at home in Inverness by Dundee.

There's absolutely no reason we should fear playing them with the quality of squad we have.

Yes, it's a potential banana skin because it's likely to be a very tough cup tie, but I won't be going into it thinking we'll lose.

I agree but i am very much concerned about our defense of late. We are struggling a bit here with Mohsni showing his bombscare attributes once again. Will Cammy Bell be back in time for this tie? Hope so as i am never assured about Simonsen in goals.