Clark: I'll make it hard as possible for Kenny

NICKY CLARK today warned fit-again Kenny Miller he has a fight on his hands to win back his place in the Rangers first team.

Miller returned from a spell out injured in the SPFL Championship match against Queen of the South at Ibrox on Saturday.

And the 69-times capped Scotland internationalist came off the bench and netted a well- taken goal in a thrilling 4-2 victory.

The experienced star will now be looking to renew his partnership with Kris Boyd when Rangers play Raith Rovers at Stark's Park on Friday week.

But Clark, who was picked to play up front when Miller was out injured, is hoping he will be able to retain his berth in the starting line-up.

"I have definitely got some confidence in how I am playing at the moment," he said. "It is always good for a striker to get off the mark early in the season and I have done that.

"I am sure Kenny will be keen to get into the side now that he is fit once more, but my job is to make it as difficult as possible for him.

"I want to give the manager a headache and I will work as hard as I can in training and in the matches I am picked for to do that.

"I have no doubt that Kenny will be doing exactly the same as me. There is a lot of competition for places at the club just now and that is healthy.

"I am sure that Big Jon (Daly) will be back soon and it will be even more difficult to get a game in the team in one of the forward positions.

"But that is the way it should be at a massive club like Rangers. I am enjoying my football and am hoping to play my part in the rest of the season."

Many Rangers supporters predicted Clark would struggle to get a game when Boyd and Miller arrived on free transfers during the summer.

However, he has been nothing short of a revelation for Ally McCoist's men in his appearances during the 2014/15 campaign.

The former Aberdeen and Queen of the South player has netted two goals against Falkirk and Dumbarton in five competitive outings.

He has, though, contributed much more than just goals for the Glasgow giants in the league and in the cup competitions this term.

Clark has shown an impressive work rate and has laboured tirelessly to carve out scoring opportunities for his team- mates.

He failed to hit the target as Rangers came from behind to triumph against his former club at the weekend - but was still named as Man of the Match.

Slowly but surely, the man who was the leading goalscorer in senior football in Britain two seasons ago is starting to prove his doubters wrong.

The forward only hit the target for the Light Blues on eight occasions last season and often failed to impress supporters.

McCoist feels the arrival of proven goalscorers Boyd and Miller has actually helped Clark and the striker concurs with his manager.

HE said: "Playing with guys like Boydy and Kenny and Jon Daly as well can only help to progress my career. They have got a wealth of experience.

"They talk to me in training and they talk to me in games. To be honest, I'm absolutely loving playing with all three of them."

Clark knows how difficult it can be for a new player to adapt to life at Rangers after failing to produce his top form last season.

So he has been greatly impressed with how former Cowdenbeath and St Mirren defender Darren McGregor has acquited himself in the past month.

The centre-half has played in all seven of his new club's matches this season and has been utilised out of position at right back while Richard Foster has been sidelined.

Clark said: "Darren has done really well for us. He would prefer to play at centre-half, but you will play anywhere for Rangers when you are asked.

"But he has taken it all in his stride and is playing some good football. He is defending well and getting up the field as well. I am delighted for him."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/clark-ill-make-it-hard-as-possible-for-kenny-to-get-in-rangers-178668n.25212530

Ally could always consider trying out a 4-3-3 system with all three of Boyd, Clark & Miller up front.

If Ally were to do it, then it should see Boyd in the middle of the front 3 doing what he does best and playing in and around the box, while Miller and Clark would ideally have free roles to support Boyd, mix it up, switch to and from either side and drop deeper when required, but preferably not too often.

The problem with a 4-3-3 though, is that it would need very good full backs constantly pushing forward and heavily supporting the midfield and for them to do that regularly during a match requires a very good central defensive partnership with plenty of pace, but that's something I don't think we currently have in our possible back 4 defensive options.

Something like this?

:cb:

:dm::sf::mz::ss:

:ib::lm::nl:

:nc::kb::km:

For 4 3 3 to work the middle three need to be narrow and clark/ miller wide. They have to work back as much as the full backs need to get forward. If played right with the right personel it can very effective way to play against "smaller" teams as you can overload them when you get on top of them and sustain the pressure. Doubt that ally has the tactical nous to make it happen..

Ally could always consider trying out a 4-3-3 system with all three of Boyd, Clark & Miller up front.

If Ally were to do it, then it should see Boyd in the middle of the front 3 doing what he does best and playing in and around the box, while Miller and Clark would ideally have free roles to support Boyd, mix it up, switch to and from either side and drop deeper when required, but preferably not too often.

The problem with a 4-3-3 though, is that it would need very good full backs constantly pushing forward and heavily supporting the midfield and for them to do that regularly during a match requires a very good central defensive partnership with plenty of pace, but that's something I don't think we currently have in our possible back 4 defensive options.

Absolutely no chance of that....Unless this is a dream. We were playing 5 defenders in pre-season recently!

I can't think of any team in the world that plays 3 strikers anyway :D. Barca are perhaps the closest. Neymar, Pedro etc aren't strikers.

PS - Boyd needs to play in a 4-4-2. Whenever we play with 1 main striker they just become isolated.