Lewis: It's fan-tastic to play with my heroes

LIKE so many Rangers supporters of his generation, Lewis Macleod grew up idolising both Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller.

So to find himself in the same side as the strike duo at Ibrox this season has been nothing short of a surreal experience for the youngster.

"I watched Kris and Kenny when I was a boy so to be playing alongside them now is pretty weird," he said. "But it is brilliant as well. I am loving every minute of it."

It has been obvious from his performances so far this term that Macleod has relished taking to the field alongside the two high-profile acquisitions.

It was anticipated that the 20-year-old midfielder would take some time to rediscover his best form this season.

He was, after all, sidelined for the second half of the last campaign with a debilitating virus that at one stage started to affect the muscles around his heart. Even Ally McCoist, a huge admirer of the skilful playmaker, felt he would have to be eased gently back into competitive action after he got the all-clear from medical staff to resume training.

Yet Macleod has picked up where he left off last year and has been arguably the most consistent and effective Rangers player in their first seven competitive outings.

He's also netted four goals in all competitions - a brace against Clyde and one apiece against Hibs and Falkirk.

It was no surprise when he was linked with a move to English Championship club Wigan earlier this week.

The speed with which the Scotland Under-21 internationalist has adapted to the demands of first-team football has surprised even him.

However, he feels that the new arrivals to the Glasgow club have helped him to settle back into the side effortlessly.

McCoist added five players to his squad before the transfer window shut on Monday night: Boyd, Miller, Darren McGregor, Marius Zaliukas and keeper Lee Robinson.

The veteran strikers plus central defenders McGregor and Zaliukas slotted straight into the side and, after a shaky start, are performing well.

"The new boys have fitted in perfectly," said Macleod. "In the first few games Boydy didn't really get going. But he is certainly off the mark now.

"He got a hat-trick against Clyde and two against Queen's Park. He is also playing well for the team and is creating chances for others.

"Kenny was injured for a few games but came back last Saturday and scored against Queen of the South at Ibrox."

THE Ibrox starlet admitted: "It is strange to be playing with Boydy and Kenny and Lee McCulloch, too, as I grew up watching them.

"I just put that to the back of my mind and concentrate on doing as well as I can.

"It is fantastic to be alongside them in the Rangers starting XI as they are great players and can hopefully help us push on to more success.

"It has been enjoyable to play with them. Hopefully they can keep doing as well as they've been doing so far and we can enjoy a good season."

Winning the SPFL Championship and completing "The Journey" from the bottom tier back to the top flight is the first priority for Macleod and his Rangers team-mates in the months ahead.

Their next task in that league quest will be a tricky trip to Kirkcaldy to face Raith Rovers a week on Friday.

But with so many experienced players in the squad at Ibrox, their other objective will be to do well in the cup competitions - Petrofac Training Cup, League Cup and Scottish Cup.

Macleod's call-up to the national Under-21s squad was a contributing factor in the postponement of the Petrofac Training Cup quarter-final tie against East Fife that was originally scheduled for Bayview this Saturday.

Last week he helped the Gers beat Queen's Park to book a tantalising League Cup second round match against Premiership leaders Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

It will be fascinating to see how the League One champs fare against their undefeated top-flight opponents at Ibrox on Tuesday, September 16.

Macleod is confident his side can overcome the Highlanders, who beat them 3-0 at Ibrox in the same tournament two seasons ago. He feels that would show this Rangers side is capable of holding its own in the Premiership.

"Inverness are an in-form side," he said, "but we are all looking forward to the match.

"Hopefully we can beat Raith in our next league game and continue our good run of form into that cup tie.

"We obviously want to beat Inverness. It would be brilliant and would prove a point.

We did not play well the last time we met Inverness. It was even in the first half but they got the better of us after the break and won the game.

"We will be looking for a different scoreline on September 16. The young boys who played that night, myself included, are more experienced now.

"We all have over two seasons of senior football under our belts.

"Plus, we've brought in some new players who have added a lot of quality.

"A lot of things have changed here since we played Inverness the last time around. I hope we can see the difference when we play again."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangers-star-lewis-its-fan-tastic-to-play-with-my-heroes-178818n.25218452

LIKE so many Rangers supporters of his generation, Lewis Macleod grew up idolising both Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller.

So to find himself in the same side as the strike duo at Ibrox this season has been nothing short of a surreal experience for the youngster.

"I watched Kris and Kenny when I was a boy so to be playing alongside them now is pretty weird," he said. "But it is brilliant as well. I am loving every minute of it."

It has been obvious from his performances so far this term that Macleod has relished taking to the field alongside the two high-profile acquisitions.

It was anticipated that the 20-year-old midfielder would take some time to rediscover his best form this season.

He was, after all, sidelined for the second half of the last campaign with a debilitating virus that at one stage started to affect the muscles around his heart. Even Ally McCoist, a huge admirer of the skilful playmaker, felt he would have to be eased gently back into competitive action after he got the all-clear from medical staff to resume training.

Yet Macleod has picked up where he left off last year and has been arguably the most consistent and effective Rangers player in their first seven competitive outings.

He's also netted four goals in all competitions - a brace against Clyde and one apiece against Hibs and Falkirk.

It was no surprise when he was linked with a move to English Championship club Wigan earlier this week.

The speed with which the Scotland Under-21 internationalist has adapted to the demands of first-team football has surprised even him.

However, he feels that the new arrivals to the Glasgow club have helped him to settle back into the side effortlessly.

McCoist added five players to his squad before the transfer window shut on Monday night: Boyd, Miller, Darren McGregor, Marius Zaliukas and keeper Lee Robinson.

The veteran strikers plus central defenders McGregor and Zaliukas slotted straight into the side and, after a shaky start, are performing well.

"The new boys have fitted in perfectly," said Macleod. "In the first few games Boydy didn't really get going. But he is certainly off the mark now.

"He got a hat-trick against Clyde and two against Queen's Park. He is also playing well for the team and is creating chances for others.

"Kenny was injured for a few games but came back last Saturday and scored against Queen of the South at Ibrox."

THE Ibrox starlet admitted: "It is strange to be playing with Boydy and Kenny and Lee McCulloch, too, as I grew up watching them.

"I just put that to the back of my mind and concentrate on doing as well as I can.

"It is fantastic to be alongside them in the Rangers starting XI as they are great players and can hopefully help us push on to more success.

"It has been enjoyable to play with them. Hopefully they can keep doing as well as they've been doing so far and we can enjoy a good season."

Winning the SPFL Championship and completing "The Journey" from the bottom tier back to the top flight is the first priority for Macleod and his Rangers team-mates in the months ahead.

Their next task in that league quest will be a tricky trip to Kirkcaldy to face Raith Rovers a week on Friday.

But with so many experienced players in the squad at Ibrox, their other objective will be to do well in the cup competitions - Petrofac Training Cup, League Cup and Scottish Cup.

Macleod's call-up to the national Under-21s squad was a contributing factor in the postponement of the Petrofac Training Cup quarter-final tie against East Fife that was originally scheduled for Bayview this Saturday.

Last week he helped the Gers beat Queen's Park to book a tantalising League Cup second round match against Premiership leaders Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

It will be fascinating to see how the League One champs fare against their undefeated top-flight opponents at Ibrox on Tuesday, September 16.

Macleod is confident his side can overcome the Highlanders, who beat them 3-0 at Ibrox in the same tournament two seasons ago. He feels that would show this Rangers side is capable of holding its own in the Premiership.

"Inverness are an in-form side," he said, "but we are all looking forward to the match.

"Hopefully we can beat Raith in our next league game and continue our good run of form into that cup tie.

"We obviously want to beat Inverness. It would be brilliant and would prove a point.

We did not play well the last time we met Inverness. It was even in the first half but they got the better of us after the break and won the game.

"We will be looking for a different scoreline on September 16. The young boys who played that night, myself included, are more experienced now.

"We all have over two seasons of senior football under our belts.

"Plus, we've brought in some new players who have added a lot of quality.

"A lot of things have changed here since we played Inverness the last time around. I hope we can see the difference when we play again."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangers-star-lewis-its-fan-tastic-to-play-with-my-heroes-178818n.25218452

Alexander

Wallace

Cribari

Perry (Argiriou)

Hegarty

Hutton (McKay)

Black

Macleod

Shiels (Kyle)

McCulloch

Little

That would be himself and McKay, thanks mainly to his Morton loan spell.

Sounds like club PR bullshit. Was Macleod even present for this interview or did Dickson write it and get the ET to print it?

Sounds like club PR bullshit. Was Macleod even present for this interview or did Dickson write it and get the ET to print it?

Since you mention it, it does read like a fairly typical puff piece by Andrew Dickson. ET in publishing Dickson's article shocker! :ninja::whistle::laugh:

Dickson won't have written it as his old man died at the weekend.

Maybe that's why as elfideldo was pointing out, there was no match report or article following the Development league defeat by Hamilton last night.