Kris Boyd says he would play for Rangers for free if their financial problems get worse

Rangers hear on Tuesday if they can appeal Court of Session decision

Former director Imran Ahmad has frozen £620,000 of the club's cash

Rangers are at risk of becoming insolvent for second time in two years

Boyd turned down Aberdeen and Dundee to move back to Ibrox

He has made money through his career at Middlesbrough and in the US

Now he says he will play for the club he loves for free if problems persist

Members are volunteering donations to save the club

Almost 500 Rangers fans have signed up to try to take a controlling stake

Rangers striker Kris Boyd admitted he would be prepared to play for free if the financial crisis at Ibrox escalates.

The Glasgow giants will learn on Tuesday whether they will be allowed to appeal last Friday’s decision at the Court of Session that saw former director Imran Ahmad succeed in freezing £620,000 of the club’s cash.

Ruling in Ahmad’s favour, Lord Stewart declared there to be a ‘risk of Rangers becoming insolvent’ for the second time in just two years with the Championship side only currently having £1.2million in the bank.

Boyd turned his back on offers from Scottish Premiership clubs Aberdeen and Dundee United to step down a division with Rangers in the summer after leaving Kilmarnock.

But with cash in the bank from lucrative moves to Middlesbrough, Turkey and the United States, the 31-year-old star striker insists money was not his motivation for re-joining the Ibrox men.

Boyd said: I’d have walked through those doors for nothing because I was so desperate to play for this club. I wanted the jersey back on.

‘I don’t want to sound smart — or ignorant — but whatever I earn between now and the end of my career is not going to change the way I live.

‘I have managed my finances over the past few years to get what I hope for me and my family going forward is correct.

‘So whatever I do between now and (the end of my career) it’s just about getting myself back enjoying the game.

‘I started off as a young kid going on to a football field and scoring goals. I did that last year at Kilmarnock.

‘Did I ask for assurances about the state of Rangers before I signed? You can sit here and talk about assurances but I just want to do the same as I did at Kilmarnock last season and make up for lost time.’

Rangers need their forthcoming £4m ‘open’ share offer to be fully subscribed to enable them to pay player and staff wages, which fall due on the last Thursday of this month. On top of that, they still owe £1.5m in loans to Sandy Easdale and George Letham, debts that were originally due to have been paid off by the end of August.

The club also seem likely now to bring forward an EGM designed to seek permission for a larger scale share issue, which could allow prospective investors Mike Ashley or Dave King to plough much-needed funds into the club.

Almost 500 Rangers fans have signed up to a scheme seeking to buy a controlling stake in the club since the share issue was launched last month.

Backed by Supporters Direct Scotland, fans’ group Rangers First have set up a similar scheme to the one used to rescue Hearts from their administration battle.

They now say that have seen the number of members volunteering monthly donations rise to over 1,400.

At current totals, the scheme is pulling in almost £32,500 a month and organisers have now revealed they will use some of that income to take part in this month’s open offer.

Daily Mail

More than anything, or the split opinions of Kris Boyd, a very big hats off to him for the gesture.

However, I bet nobody in the boardroom asks him to actually make good on the suggestion, as they should.

WITH another financial disaster looming at Ibrox the striker has told fans that money is not the main motivator for him at this stage in his career.

KRIS BOYD last night 
told worried Rangers fans he’d play for the club 
for nothing.

The striker spoke out as concerns grow of another financial disaster at Ibrox.

Money is draining out 
the club and with ex-director Imran Ahmad last week winning a fight to have £620,000 frozen in the club’s account, there are fears there may not be enough cash to meet bills.

Rangers will today try to overturn the court decision to freeze more than half of the estimated £1.2m left in their coffers and they are also attempting to raise £4m with new shares being made available to shareholders.

However, with supporters worried the cash reserves will run dry, star striker Boyd insists he’d turn out for nothing if it came to it.

He said: “I’m not a 
politician who can say he knows everything about business or what’s going on. I don’t.

“When I first joined Rangers I was desperate to play for the club and I’ve got that feeling back.

“I would have walked through the doors for 
nothing because I wanted the jersey back on.

“I’ve managed my finances over the past few years to 
get what I hope for my family going forward is correct.

“Whatever I do between now and the end of my career is a matter of getting myself back enjoying the game.”

Meanwhile, more than 1400 Rangers fans have now signed up to a scheme similar to the one that rescued Hearts after they went into administration.

And the Rangers First group have welcomed 
almost 500 new members since the latest share offer was announced.

The scheme is pulling in almost £32,500 a month 
with some of the cash being used to buy more shares.

Supporters Direct Scotland spokesman Richard Atkinson has been advising Rangers First and said: “We consulted their members as soon as news broke about the new share issue.

“The members authorised Rangers First to take up their pro-rata share options as well as apply for any excess. Since that point they have added almost 500 new members.”

Around 7500 fans backed the Foundation of Hearts’ bid to save the Jambos and Rangers First have targeted membership levels of 20,000 with average monthly
donations of just under £20.

They already own 130,000 shares while another 20,000 have been gifted to them by existing stakeholders.

Atkinson added: “Rangers First is about gathering shares to firstly achieve a five per cent shareholding.

“That would give the group certain rights in relation to any board of any company that owns the club.

“Rangers First is legally set up in such a way that it could respond effectively should administration happen.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kris-boyd-reassures-fans-ibrox-4186820

It's a very misleading article title when you read the quotes of what Boyd actually said.

Boyd said: I’d have walked through those doors for nothing because I was so desperate to play for this club. I wanted the jersey back on.

Essentially says what is given in the headline, so it ain't that "very misleading". I would assume that he has not changed his stance since and he would play for free if it came to that.

Essentially says what is given in the headline, so it ain't that "very misleading". I would assume that he has not changed his stance since and he would play for free if it came to that.

It really says "I would have......but I didn't."