this time at home to Aberdeen. 3-2. 3 defeats on the bounce now i believe. Hearing also that McAusland was playing up front when he came on, perhaps Elfideldo can confirm?

An extremely strong Rangers line up too.

Kelly, Sinnamon, Finnie, Gibson, Halkett, Hutton, Aird ,Murdoch, Daly, Walsh, Dykes

Tuesday, 09 September 2014 16:51

Daly Back In Action

Written by Neil Smith

d2f41c16de3eea24da114622083d4492_XL.jpg

RANGERS striker Jon Daly was back in a blue jersey this afternoon as he featured for the club’s under-20s in a league match against Aberdeen at Murray Park.

Last season’s top scorer at first-team level had been recovering from a knee surgery which ruled him out of the club’s summer tours to the Highlands and North America and he has also missed the start of the 2014/15 season.

Today, however, he got 45 minutes under his belt as Gordon Durie’s second string lost 3-2 to the Dons in Auchenhowie. Fraser Aird also played in the first half before being replaced at the break and at that stage the visitors were two goals up.

A glancing header from centre back Scott McKenna gave Aberdeen the lead before their number 11 Scott Wright blasted a low shot past Liam Kelly after a neat one-two had taken him into Rangers’ 18-yard box.

At the interval Darren Ramsay replaced Aird while Kyle McAusland went on for Daly but the Dons went 3-0 up into the second half when Cammy Smith’s shot across Kelly found the bottom corner of the net.

The Light Blues never let their heads got down and when Andy Murdoch found McAusland with a perfect through pass he finished well to give his side a glimmer of hope.

Rangers were now in the ascendancy and when Craig Halkett was fouled as he went up to head a cross in Aberdeen’s 18-yard box, Dylan Dykes stepped up and showed great composure to side foot the ball home from the spot to make it 3-2.

Durie’s side continued to push forward in the closing stages and Halkett came close to netting a dramatic equaliser when he jumped above substitute keeper Reece Willison but he couldn’t direct his header on target before referee Steven Kirkland’s final whistle.

RANGERS: Kelly, Sinnamon, Gibson, Halkett, Finnie (Roberts 70), Aird (Ramsay 46), Murdoch, Hutton, Dykes, Walsh, Daly (McAusland 46)

SUBS NOT USED: McCrorie, Brownlie, Ogen, Burrows

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7620-daly-back-in-action

It's not the first time it's happened because older players like Steve Simonsen (and others) have featured for our U20 squad at times over the past year, but truth be told, playing men over 30 who are closer to 'middle age' than 'U20' is pretty embarrassing for youth football and young player development.

This new 'Development League' isn't a proper youth league, it's a hybrid of U20 & Reserve leagues.

Pumped? Losing 3-2? With a host of the better youth players on loan? Ach well.

Are they ? I make it four "youth" players out on loan. Only Stoney and Gasparotto didn't play, Halkett and Walsh did.

Crawford, McKay and Gallagher are not youth players and unlike under 20's players cannot come back and play.

I only wish all our better youth players were out on loan.

I wasn't at the game today, but I was at the previous two and the standard and style of performance was as bad as I've seen from a Rangers team at any level.

On a positive note I watched six of our under 15's play for Scotland in a 2-1 over Switzerland, Sinky, Kirky and Durie still to get their hands on this group.

http://rfcyouths.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/win-for-scotlands-15s/

Thanks for that.

Poor dB! :D

Early morning goading ... your standard drops by the day.

Tom Walsh – loan to Stenhousemuir to 1 January 2015.

Danny Stoney – loan to Stranraer to 1 January 2015.

Luca Gasparotto – loan to Airdrieonians to 1 January 2015.

Craig Halkett – loan to Clyde to 1 January 2015.

Calum Gallagher – loan to Cowdenbeath to 1 January 2015.

Robbie Crawford – loan to Morton to 1 January 2015

I take it that most would have featured in that side at some stage, partly as over-aged players. Aird and Daly just back from injury, Hutton essentially means a man down. Maybe the rest of the youth aren't that good so indeed the host of our "better" youth players wasn't there?

Early morning goading ... your standard drops by the day.

Tom Walsh – loan to Stenhousemuir to 1 January 2015.

Danny Stoney – loan to Stranraer to 1 January 2015.

Luca Gasparotto – loan to Airdrieonians to 1 January 2015.

Craig Halkett – loan to Clyde to 1 January 2015.

Calum Gallagher – loan to Cowdenbeath to 1 January 2015.

Robbie Crawford – loan to Morton to 1 January 2015

I take it that most would have featured in that side at some stage, partly as over-aged players. Aird and Daly just back from injury, Hutton essentially means a man down. Maybe the rest of the youth aren't that good so indeed the host of our "better" youth players wasn't there?

I have no standards to live up to. :)

Halkett was in the side.

this time at home to Aberdeen. 3-2. 3 defeats on the bounce now i believe. Hearing also that McAusland was playing up front when he came on, perhaps Elfideldo can confirm?

An extremely strong Rangers line up too.

Kelly, Sinnamon, Finnie, Gibson, Halkett, Hutton, Aird ,Murdoch, Daly, Walsh, Dykes

But, but... aren't these the youngsters we should be basing our first team on ??

It's not the first time it's happened because older players like Steve Simonsen (and others) have featured for our U20 squad at times over the past year, but truth be told, playing men over 30 who are closer to 'middle age' than 'U20' is pretty embarrassing for youth football and young player development.

This new 'Development League' isn't a proper youth league, it's a hybrid of U20 & Reserve leagues.

They have no other avenue in which to get him match fit. With no reserve league the highest level we have to offer other than first team football is the U20's. They need to rename the league, shouldn't be U20's.