How does the Crown Estate figure into the 'independence' referendum?

I know there's a number of people here on Gersnet who are quite clued-up about both sides of the Scottish 'independence' referendum debate, but I didn't want to just throw this into one of the existing threads as it's quite a specific and complex subject.

So.....

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the exact plans & ramifications are regarding the Crown Estate in Scotland if the 'yes' vote wins? That's taking into consideration the fact that the Crown Estate owns and manages such a vast amount of coastline, foreshore & territorial seabed?

We're also talking about 4 large rural estates totaling approx 42,000 hectares with agricultural tenancies, residential properties and forestry, but FAR more importantly, we're talking about the Crown Estate owning & managing roughly half of the Scottish coastline, including approx 850 aquaculture sites, 5,000 moorings etc etc etc...

Sorry if I missed it or it's already been discussed, but what are Salmond & co's plans for all of this Crown Estate coastline & land ownership in Scotland?

Without the benefit of any kind of discussion about this I'd only be assuming but I don't think there are any plans to reclaim/disperse any of the Crown Estate assets or land and there is no legal or moral basis for doing that either. The Queen will remain Head of State until such time as there is a referendum on the issue and maybe then would you see any kind of exit strategy involving the estate and coastline.

I don't know if the SNP have a position or not. The present position is that the Crown is the titular owner of the Estates but the incomes flow into the maw of the Exchequer. It wouldn't be difficult for a new Parliament to nationalise the Estates which are geographically easy to identify and separate from the UK Estates.

Eck's a royalist for the moment but that could change at the drop of a hat and in any event he'll soon be swept aside by red Clydesiders who'll be nationalising wholesale to recreate the old Albania. I'm perversely looking forward to that and seeing the big landowners in the SNP north-east heartland getting a rude awakening.

I know there's a number of people here on Gersnet who are quite clued-up about both sides of the Scottish 'independence' referendum debate, but I didn't want to just throw this into one of the existing threads as it's quite a specific and complex subject.

So.....

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the exact plans & ramifications are regarding the Crown Estate in Scotland if the 'yes' vote wins? That's taking into consideration the fact that the Crown Estate owns and manages such a vast amount of coastline, foreshore & territorial seabed?

We're also talking about 4 large rural estates totaling approx 42,000 hectares with agricultural tenancies, residential properties and forestry, but FAR more importantly, we're talking about the Crown Estate owning & managing roughly half of the Scottish coastline, including approx 850 aquaculture sites, 5,000 moorings etc etc etc...

Sorry if I missed it or it's already been discussed, but what are Salmond & co's plans for all of this Crown Estate coastline & land ownership in Scotland?

SNP Government outline Crown Estate proposals

The SNP Government published its proposals for devolution of Scotland’s Crown Estate yesterday. If implemented, this would give the Scottish Parliament control over the seabed up to 12 miles offshore.

Alex Salmond made the announcement at the National Economic Forum in Edinburgh yesterday, where he said that control over the Crown Estate would allow proper management of the country’s important marine assets and would ensure that local communities can benefit from the development of offshore renewables.

The SNP pledged in its manifesto to create a Fund for Future Generations which would help harness Scotland’s marine energy potential for the benefit of all Scotland’s people.

Speaking at the event Mr Salmond said:

“The time is right for the archaic legislation governing the Crown Estate to be brought into line with the realities of devolution in a modern Scotland, accountable to the Scottish Parliament and its people and delivering direct benefits to our communities.

“The Scottish Government has the lead role in exploiting our nation’s considerable potential for renewable energy – including responsibility for economic development as well as both land-based and marine planning. Yet it is the Crown Estate Commissioners who grant leases for offshore projects and there is no obligation on the CEC to work in partnership with our economic development bodies.

“The CEC even have the power to sell Scottish assets, including the seabed and important historic sites – all without the need to even consult the Scottish Government. This is position is simply unacceptable and completely incompatible with the principles of devolution.

“Scotland’s seabed and marine natural resources are a vital part of our economy and offer the greatest opportunity for growth. It is right that Scotland should be able to manage these assets – both as a matter of natural justice and to have the best opportunity to deliver growth in renewable energy. There is cross-party support for this position with the Scottish Parliament voting for this view earlier this month. However the most powerful mandate for change came from the people in the election.

“We are continuing to press the UK Government for unfettered access to Scotland’s £200 million Fossil Fuel Levy funds, to support investment in green energy and create jobs and boost communities’ benefits from our massive renewables resources.”

and here: http://scotreferendum.com/questions/what-will-happen-to-the-crown-estate-in-an-independent-scotland/

Thanks guys!

So essentially, while there's been discussion and proposals, there isn't actually any specific deal in place with regard to returning Scotland's mineral and salmon fishing rights, about half of the coastal foreshore and almost all of the seabed in the event of so-called 'independence'.

Interesting! :thinking:

Thanks guys!

So essentially, while there's been discussion and proposals, there isn't actually any specific deal in place with regard to returning Scotland's mineral and salmon fishing rights, about half of the coastal foreshore and almost all of the seabed in the event of so-called 'independence'.

Interesting! :thinking:

How could there be a deal yet? With whom would the Scottish Government deal and on what basis?

It's clear that the SNP will have the Crown Estates in their sights when we get independence. The problem area will be one of law, not of political will. Even if we detest the CEs we can't just rip up the law because we don't like it. I imagine it would be one of the many things under discussion after a Yes vote.

This is a suitable place to mention that a lot of folk are not aware that Blair and Donald Dewar moved the maritime border to just east of Carnoustie to supposedly safeguard the oil fields and thwart independence. all this without a parliamentary vote. Source: Craig Murray former UK amabassador to Uzbekistan.

How could there be a deal yet? With whom would the Scottish Government deal and on what basis?

It's clear that the SNP will have the Crown Estates in their sights when we get independence. The problem area will be one of law, not of political will. Even if we detest the CEs we can't just rip up the law because we don't like it. I imagine it would be one of the many things under discussion after a Yes vote.

So like so many other important issues it's basically just a case of "vote yes and don't worry about the details regarding ownership and management of Scotland's coastline, seabed & marinas, mineral & fishing rights etc, we'll sort all that stuff out later" ??