But would these experienced guys on £500 p.w or £1000 p.w have been good enough? Who were you thinking of ?

Don't forget the added pressure of playing for Rangers which some players(experienced or not) wouldn't be able to handle

I would have put my mortgage on it. It would still be more than most players in the top tier as well. Bearing in mind we were up against fishmongers and hairdressers who take home as little as expenses only to play football. And the only target apparently was gaining promotion.

As for names, those are up for debate, I could name you plenty guys who would run through brick walls to play for us unlike those who are currently on our payroll but what's the point, the damage is done.

That mythical pressure is gone Rab, we have no standards. Players get away with not turning up these days. Ally has made it acceptable to give 40% effort, play poorly and still walk into the team the next week. He has made cup exits a speciality and those too are accepted by boards and fans alike.

By playing a bunch of kids peanuts? Wouldn't have worked IMO.

I'm not Ally's greatest admirer as Rangers manager but going for experience was the best way to get us back to the top division in shortest timescale. Yes it cost us a lot of money but he had a job to do and he is nearly there

Why is that? The key would have been a balance.

They haven't really had a chance if truth be told Rab. A few minutes here and there out of position is not a chance.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/19857024

6 October 2012 Last updated at 17:47 GMT

Stirling Albion 1-0 Rangers

Rangers: Alexander, Argyriou (McKay 67), Perry, Emilson Cribari, Wallace, Faure, Black (Naismith 85), Macleod, Aird (Kyle 71), Shiels, McCulloch.

Subs Not Used: Gallacher,Crawford.

Booked: Aird, McCulloch.

Remember this period. They(the youth players) were getting most of the game, and we still had Heggarty, Hutton,etc. to come. If I remember correctly , that's when the boos at the end of the games started. They just couldn't handle the chest-high tackles and how to fashion a win against the part-timers.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/19857024

6 October 2012 Last updated at 17:47 GMT

Stirling Albion 1-0 Rangers

Rangers: Alexander, Argyriou (McKay 67), Perry, Emilson Cribari, Wallace, Faure, Black (Naismith 85), Macleod, Aird (Kyle 71), Shiels, McCulloch.

Subs Not Used: Gallacher,Crawford.

Booked: Aird, McCulloch.

Remember this period. They(the youth players) were getting most of the game, and we still had Heggarty, Hutton,etc. to come. If I remember correctly , that's when the boos at the end of the games started. They just couldn't handle the chest-high tackles and how to fashion a win against the part-timers.

Our average every week line up was

Alexander, Argyriou, Wallace, Cribari, Perry/Hegarty, Little, Shiels, Black, Hutton, McCulloch, Sandaza/Kyle - Average age about 28/29. Full of over paid unnecessary dross.

MacLeod is the only kid i would class as good enough in that line up you picked above too. And he grabbed that opportunity with both hands. The rest are duds. Shite like Cribari, Argyriou, Perry, Black, Shiels, Kyle.....give me a break ffs!

You are not seriously suggesting kids being thrown in at that time were given a chance? The team was a shambles, made up of imposters and mercenaries who didn't care about our club, not trying a leg. That's not a chance. Quite frankly it was a near miracle anyone shone in such a diabolical team, and one or two did in spite of the more experienced let downs. McKay and MacLeod the main two. Both should have been integral the season after with another couple integrated into the team as the season went on. Now here we are 2 years later with no plan, no vision, next to no chance for youth, kids actually leaving for smaller clubs just to get a chance. Spending season to season, Rangers never learn, we will never change.

Our struggles in the bottom tier had nothing to do with the kids and everything to do with the way the manager was picking teams and going about his business. We were a mess and it was the experienced pros who let us down so badly.

The kids i believe who should be in and around the first team right now have either been loaned out without a sniff or binned, one or two treated badly too.

Under the current regime and structure we won't ever get back in Europe.

I don't agree. If we get back to the top division next season a top three finish(although ideally first) should be perfectly achievable getting us into the EL at worst.

The top division is not some super league. It has declined and is continuing to decline since we left it.