A huge day ahead of every Scots person and I make no apology for posting about the referendum in the main forum today.

I hope everyone takes another few minutes to fully consider the implications of their vote. Our decision will impact fully on the rest of our and our children's lives. This should not be a decision easily taken or based on hubris.

I'd contend the overall quality of debate has been poor and I doubt any of us can say either side has won it. Nevertheless you must vote with a clear conscience and I'm glad that this website has people of opposing opinions while remaining neutral and, well independent, of trying to influence anyone.

It's going to be one of the most important 24 hours in Scottish and UK history. Good luck to all.

Edited by Frankie

A huge day ahead for every BRITISH person. As such, one must question why only a select bunch are given the power to dictate to the majority.

Maintain the Union.

Of course it is important for British people as a whole but this referendum is the result of a gradual process towards this day so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with its specific relevance to Scotland.

FWIW, I'll be voting no but I'll be doing so more out of practical reasons than outright patriotic ones.

Tennis player Andy Murray has declared his support for the Yes campaign in the independence referendum.

The Scot had previously remained silent on the issue, but posted a message on Twitter just hours ahead of the polls opening, to state his position.

He tweeted: "Huge day for Scotland today! no campaign negativity last few days totally swayed my view on it. excited to see the outcome. lets do this!"

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/a-winning-return-andy-murray-tweets-support-for-yes.1411019149

I'm not one for paying much attention to celebrities but this is interesting in that Murray is an intelligent guy who seemed to be very much for the 'status quo' and has changed his mind in the last few days because of perceived "No campaign negativity".

The question is obviously, how many more (who will be voting today) are of a similar mind ?

Quite a few of my fellow German Bears have like me noted the change in tone used by people from the Yes-faction these last few weeks. Hearing Salmond going on about it all, reading other statements, you get the distinct idea that it has gone from patriotic to nationalist, becoming a "If you are not for us, you are against us!". Which is kind of misplaced in a 21st century democratic country.

You do wonder how a chap like Salmond would be tenable should the No-faction suceed?

Quite a few of my fellow German Bears have like me noted the change in tone used by people from the Yes-faction these last few weeks. Hearing Salmond going on about it all, reading other statements, you get the distinct idea that it has gone from patriotic to nationalist, becoming a "If you are not for us, you are against us!". Which is kind of misplaced in a 21st century democratic country.

You do wonder how a chap like Salmond would be tenable should the No-faction suceed?

Regards campaigning, I wrote this yesterday but is in part relevant to your post,...........

The main casaulty in this long-running referendum campaign has been the Truth.

One interesting, disturbing but not surprising feature has been the level of propaganda both in the mainstream and onlline. Spin has now become so much part of our daily life that the punter in the street actually has a dab at it or knowingly joins and contributes/spins to 'a cause'. In others, they may be led what we may term as 'agitators'.

You may have noticed similar in another long-running issue closer to home for this forum.

I'd go as far to say, that the extent to which the truth is twisted and many mediums are increasingly 'under the influence' or less independent is one of the most dangerous tendencies we as a society are facing.