Now he is delighted to see the 20-year-old Gers star continue his superb comeback from injury and illness by shining for club and country.

Macleod has become a key part of Ally McCoist's plans since making his Light Blues debut three years ago. He helped them clinch the Third Division and League One titles, but missed the closing stages of each campaign.

After fighting his way back to full fitness, the midfielder has shown his class in the Championship and netted the only goal on Tuesday as Gers beat Premiership outfit Inverness Caley Thistle in the League Cup.

McCoist has refused to heap extra pressure on Macleod's shoulders but Wotte reckons he is as good as any of his peers in Scotland.

The SFA's Performance Director said: "We were very pleased with the comeback of Lewis, who wasn't able to play for six months. He is a very talented player.

"Lewis is of the level of Ryan Gauld, who is now at Sporting Lisbon. Lewis was with the Under-18s and Under-19s when I started and I said he was one of the gems of his generation.

"Then he got his setbacks because of a heart condition and a virus. They kept him out for over six months, which is always very hard to take for a young boy.

"But I think Lewis has a great future in front of him. These players have composure. We tend to judge players by their ability but their ability also has to be good when under pressure.

"Boys like Ryan, Lewis and Aberdeen's Ryan Fraser can perform under pressure. They are in control of situations.

"They have such good technique that they can dictate what the ball is doing instead of the ball dictating what they do."

Macleod's fine form for Rangers was rewarded on the international stage earlier this month when he was recalled to the Scotland Under-21 squad.

He then scored in the 3-0 win over Luxembourg after starring against Slovakia just days before.

Macleod has proven he can handle the pressure of playing week in, week out for Rangers, and Wotte is delighted with the starlet's progress.

The Dutchman said: "I was very encouraged to see Lewis back with the Under-21s. I think Scottish boys are very strong-minded and have a great mentality. But sometimes you have to manage the game and take better decisions. Decision-making is key at the top level.

"When I came to Scotland everyone told me that we needed more technical players. I said yes, we have to drill the skill, but we also need to train the brain. Technique is always number one, but the decisions players make are very important, too."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/wotte-relief-to-see-return-of-rangers-star-lewis-181018n.25357429

How much did Ryan Gauld go for ?

Interesting what Wotte says about "train the brain"

How much did Ryan Gauld go for ?

His transfer fee was reported to be around the £3m mark and the deal also had a buyout clause in it for almost £50m..... supposedly.

Since he went over there he's been training with the Sporting B team and I don't think he's featured for the senior squad, but they recently included him in the pool of players selected for their Champions League squad.

Regarding Lewis, it's absolutely imperative that we try to hold on to him for at least another couple of seasons.