I’d urge everyone who considers themselves to be a Rangers supporter to distance the club from toxic and divisive affiliations. To seriously consider for a moment that we are in real danger of losing thousands of people like me who feel marginalised by their fellow bears and more importantly that we are in danger of losing the next generation of season ticket holder who have shown throughout the referendum run up and beyond, that they are increasingly well informed and turned off by Northern Irish politics, by far right-wing rhetoric and the kind of vulgar displays of aggression that we’ve seen both online and in the streets of Glasgow from both Unionists and Nationalist factions.

You seem to be lumping stuff like the respectful singing of GSTQ at games with the neds running around George Square. Are we really allowing neds to dictate what we are and what we are not?

I’m sure there are reasonable folks in amongst the core who do not fall into any of my hastily preconceived notions
Are you suggesting that everyone who does fall into your notions is unreasonable?

Next time you’re attending an Orange parade maybe leave the Rangers merchandise at home

Agreed.

, remove the Loyalist symbolism from Rangers flags and banners, try not to marginalise your fellow supporters who don’t care about that kind of stuff really, that’s all. Is that too much to ask?

Do you mean that we should not take Union Jacks to the game? You're proposing that we have no national flags (UJs or saltires) on our strips or in the stands? We take down the picture of Queen from the dressing room? We stop the Loving Cup ceremony?

What you are proposing is likely to cause bigger splits in the support than anything we've seen up until now, and I don't see that much of what you seen to be having a go at is "intolerance, negative affiliations and polarizing attitudes". Showing support for the no vote is not intolerant or negative, for example.

I'm certainly not in favour of the club giving up its links.

I can empathise with the OP too.

I voted No in the referendum, and no, I do not think I was duped. I was disgusted by the way the more extreme elements in the Yes campaign(the Yestapo) claimed the sole right to the Saltire. It's my flag too. Similarly, those Unionists that indulged in triumphalism upon George Square do not own the Union flag, that's my flag too.

Twenty years ago, I began a journey of disengaging from physical support of the national team. I continue to want Scotland to win every game, although my support is very much from the armchair. Boing Rangers players, Iain Ferguson, Barry Ferguson, and most recently, Ian Black has become a habit to the Tartan Army. Blaming Rangers for all Scottish football's ills has become compulsory, and again being told continually that ALL Bears support England, has confirmed my disengagement. However, Scotland remains my country and my team.

The actions of several hundred(police figures) fellow Scots waving flags aggressively at each other in George Square should not deter the majority of us from getting on supporting our team and country in whatever way we find most comfortable.

I find myself in the same position as the OP. The fact that there were guys in Rangers tops running about with the "Scottish" Defence League the other night really made me ask if it is worth it any more.

Seriously? Neds with Gers tops isn't great, but I'm not allowing them to dictate how I look on our club. They may not even go to games.

I don't think or want all Rangers Supporters to have the same views as mine. But there is a difference between having political views and associating with a bunch of racist thugs. Likewise I don't expect to be told I'm not a true Rangers supporter because of my political views.

Seriously? Neds with Gers tops isn't great, but I'm not allowing them to dictate how I look on our club. They may not even go to games.

There's been a range of issues...the two idiots with their home made attempts at bombs, the threats of physical violence made to a number of individuals and groups (including some of our own supporters ) during the the administration and it's aftermath. There seems to be an element among our support whose first instinct when there's a problem is to start throwing threats around. On the other hand there have been amazing displays of dignity and solidarity, like the march to Hampden, which are inspirational and the attendances in Division 2 and 3, but then there always seems to be some idiots among our support ready to do the wrong thing at the wrong time and give our detractors another stick to beat us with.

Rangers are only linked with areas of society because people like yourself continue to be apologists for them. Tell me exactly what about Rangers history links it to King Billy please?

People like myself? Fancy explaining yourself on that one? Please bear in mind that you will also be denigrating the characters of the many thousands of Rangers men who have held similar views over the years.

The Rangers support has always had a huge following from the people of Ulster, whether it was from those still living there, or the many who moved to Scotland for work, especially in engineering and shipbuilding in the areas around Ibrox. Rangers were 'chosen' to be the Protestant team to rival the emergence of the RC team operating out of the East.

Many of those who arrived were Orangemen and links were formed between the support and the club, especially under the tenure of Sir John Ure Primrose, a man who was very much a prominent and outspoken Unionist when the Home Rule debate was raging.

There was certainly a direct link between the club and the Orange Order from at least the 1950s until 1997 when Sir David Murray put an end to the annual church service being held in the stadium. This lead to the Order relinquishing long-held shares that it had in the club.

There's been a range of issues...the two idiots with their home made attempts at bombs, the threats of physical violence made to a number of individuals and groups (including some of our own supporters ) during the the administration and it's aftermath. There seems to be an element among our support whose first instinct when there's a problem is to start throwing threats around. On the other hand there have been amazing displays of dignity and solidarity, like the march to Hampden, which are inspirational and the attendances in Division 2 and 3, but then there always seems to be some idiots among our support ready to do the wrong thing at the wrong time and give our detractors another stick to beat us with.

There are idiots in society everywhere. Unfortunately we can't expect not to attract our share.

When did these people start following Rangers? Why has it taken so long for them to see what has always been apparent to those who attended games?

There have been 'idiots' within our support for as long as I can remember. I admit to being one of them on quite a few occasions, and, if people are honest about it, I will not alone in that regard.

I don't know many Rangers supporters who aren't disillusioned atm, nearly all their disillusion's are because of the financial position we are in and the continued asset stripping ongoing in front of their eyes, also by the fissures between various supporters groups.

But I can honestly say in the Rangers pubs and club i regularly visit i don't hear Rangers supporters saying they are disillusioned by the Masons, Orange Order, the supporter's singing, or song repertoire, their loyalty, staunchness, nor the supporters behaviour, apart from their annoyance when the pyro throwers were in attendance at away games, now hopefully stopped.

You will always get the odd supporter like the OP who find their paths take the less trodden road than the mainstream Bear. We are a broad family and i wouldn't say the Op is wrong, just his views differ to mine, i love the traditions i was brought up in and that will never change, I've have moderated my language somewhat in my old age, but i still hate those who hate our club, it's support and culture.