George Square Trouble: The night our readers became reporters

By Neil MacKay

Sunday 21 September 2014

On Thursday, the day of the referendum, the Bears group posted an image of Britannia alongside images of Alex Salmond's head on a spike and the severed head of Nicola Sturgeon. Yesterday it posted a statement online reading: "Our voice is on the rise, we must by actions, not words or political soundbites, ensure our Union is defended."

As Friday night wore on into the early hours of Saturday, you, our readers, were even able to keep our reporting staff out on the streets informed about events at our offices. Two men started a fire by the generator which powers the offices of Sunday Herald, The Herald and the Evening Times. Soon you were tweeting images of the fire and asking if we were all OK. We were - though we were out of action until early yesterday afternoon because of the power outage caused by the fire. Police are now investigating.

You also retweeted the numerous threats and vile verbal attacks made to our members of staff in order to name and shame the loyalists trolling them online. Your support was much appreciated. On you went, overnight and into yesterday, thousands and thousands of tip-offs, leads, pictures, videos, screen grabs and support. You became an integral part of the newspaper.

During the independence campaign, we tried our very hardest to give you the voice in the media you wanted and no-one else was giving you, and you repaid us over the weekend by becoming our eyes and ears - and joining in and becoming a part of the voice of the Sunday Herald. And for that, we thank you from the very bottom of our hearts.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/george-square-trouble-the-night-our-readers-became-reporters.1411314286

As the author of the statement quoted in that article, perhaps it's pertinent I post what I actually wrote, from the orginal article, and which the Herald chose to be particularly selective with.

The silent majority have spoken. But we must continue to speak, and speak with a sense of passion and renewed confidence in what we truly believe in and seek to uphold. Let it now be the Unionist voice which protects our NHS, fights with unrelenting determination to establish social justice, as well as eradicate poverty and its manifestations from the shores of our United Kingdom.

Our voice is on the rise, we must by actions, not words or political sound bites, ensure our Union is defended, by attacking the root causes of social injustice and poverty within our society.

Britain expects – let's be the generation who insist without compromise, that our politicians deliver.

The article is still available on my blog.

As the author of the statement quoted in that article' date=' perhaps it's pertinent I post what I actually wrote, from the orginal article, and which the Herald chose to be particularly selective with.

[i'] The silent majority have spoken. But we must continue to speak, and speak with a sense of passion and renewed confidence in what we truly believe in and seek to uphold. Let it now be the Unionist voice which protects our NHS, fights with unrelenting determination to establish social justice, as well as eradicate poverty and its manifestations from the shores of our United Kingdom.

Our voice is on the rise, we must by actions, not words or political sound bites, ensure our Union is defended, by attacking the root causes of social injustice and poverty within our society.

Britain expects – let's be the generation who insist without compromise, that our politicians deliver.

[/i]

The article is still available on my blog.

Mate, I had already edited the post to introduce that Herald article by adding that it was biased before you posted, but I hadn't noticed it included a cherry-picked quote from your article.

Is what the Herald article claims partially correct though? Were VB members involved in some of the stuff going on in Glasgow city centre over the weekend?

Edited by Zappa

Mate, I had already edited the post to introduce that Herald article by adding that it was biased before you posted, but I hadn't noticed it included a cherry-picked quote from your article.

Is what the Herald article claims partially correct though? Were VB members involved in some of the stuff going on in Glasgow city centre over the weekend?

You know whats funny - that is the first time I have even seen it - Im away to take him to task on twitter.

There is an element of the Rangers support which struggles to articulate itself in song without mentioning Bobby Sands. There is another element - it could even be the same one - which is vehemently behind the Union but in such an uncouth way that it makes it seem like a narrow place - a place not to be.

Like it or not, just as the Celtic support lives with a sinister hardcore element in its ranks, so do we, but this is not unique.

Within the Scottish nationalist camp there is enough anti-English bigotry to refloat the Titanic, but decent people have still been attracted to the concept and they often delude themselves that they are part of something fresh and hopeful when they are actually part of a pillar of dark-hearted intolerance.

Rangers and Celtic still have to evolve and change some of their ways, but with enough good influences to the fore, it can be done. Within Scottish nationalism, though, I'm not so optimistic.

Sectarianism is evil - we keep hearing - but nationalism is the ultimate in sectarianism. It is the capital of intolerance and narrow-mindedness - the polar opposite of freedom and inclusivity.

Scottish Nationalism itself has been infiltrated and possibly even hijacked by those who only want to see the end of Great Britain rather than the majority of people who like me simply want to see a better, fairer Scotland. The majority of Yes voters that I know, friends and family among them were in it for similar reasons. Inclusiveness, tolerance and a desire for self determination.

Putting the sectarian divide aside for the moment, Scotland is a very tolerant country. We have a large Asian population, a growing Somali, Sudanese, West African and Eastern European population and by and large it's a safe place for them to live and work. Contrast with a UK Govt under assault from UKIP, the far right and extremists like Britain First etc. The SDL model themselves on their southern big brother and we got a snapshot of their intolerant form of Unionism last week.

Scottish Nationalism itself has been infiltrated and possibly even hijacked by those who only want to see the end of Great Britain rather than the majority of people who like me simply want to see a better, fairer Scotland. The majority of Yes voters that I know, friends and family among them were in it for similar reasons. Inclusiveness, tolerance and a desire for self determination.

Putting the sectarian divide aside for the moment, Scotland is a very tolerant country. We have a large Asian population, a growing Somali, Sudanese, West African and Eastern European population and by and large it's a safe place for them to live and work. Contrast with a UK Govt under assault from UKIP, the far right and extremists like Britain First etc. The SDL model themselves on their southern big brother and we got a snapshot of their intolerant form of Unionism last week.

It hasn't been infiltrated at all. Scottish nationalism may be about self-determination for some, but its foundation has long been a virulent anti-Englishness.

I have rarely encountered a more bitter and hateful group than Scottish nationalists, and they occasionally espouse a degree of racism that genuinely shocks - and then try to tell us how holy and moral they are. I have had enough of their loudmouth hatefulness, their intrinsic racism and their detestation of the English.

As extremist parties go, the SNP is amongst the worst to be found on these islands. If you are struggling with your Rangers allegiance, think twice before you commit to this mob.

Originally Posted by D'Artagnan

As the author of the statement quoted in that article, perhaps it's pertinent I post what I actually wrote, from the orginal article, and which the Herald chose to be particularly selective with.

The silent majority have spoken. But we must continue to speak, and speak with a sense of passion and renewed confidence in what we truly believe in and seek to uphold. Let it now be the Unionist voice which protects our NHS, fights with unrelenting determination to establish social justice, as well as eradicate poverty and its manifestations from the shores of our United Kingdom.

I think it is for everyone who so wishes to engage in whatever "fight" against perceived "social injustice" and not for one particular sub-section of society.

I think you are mistaken if you think everyone who voted No is what I presume to be your definition of a Unionist (feel free to clarify).

I think a majority of No votes will have been made for personal reasons involving finances and a fear of the unknown.

To be clear, IMO the Yes campaign was too full of bluster and waving of the Saltire but your rhetoric isn't disimilar but waving a different flag.

Whilst there will be a period of metaphorical conflict, what this country needs is less division and more attention focused towards real problems, that goes for both sides.

ps. I must note that 'division' seems to be a speciality of a certain group you belong to.

You know whats funny - that is the first time I have even seen it - Im away to take him to task on twitter.

Just don't go as crazy as Andrew Dickson did when I outed the Evening Times for copying and pasting his whole match report from the Rangers site!

Edited by Zappa
typo

I never watch STV or BBC Scotland so missed most of went on in George Square, caught a bit online though. How many deaths were there, stabbing or slashing as i haven't seen them reported either?

Apparently there were only 6 arrests on Saturday night and no ambulances required or anything like that.