bcd0ae0a7a4f3522de31d616ef4b5bee_XL.jpg

ALLY McCOIST was thrilled to give Ryan Hardie his first-team debut last night as yet another Murray Park academy kid stepped up into the senior side.

The 17-year-old was introduced for the final four minutes of the 3-1 League Cup victory over Falkirk at Westfield.

Hardie has had a promising start to the season, scoring in SPFL Development League fixtures against Aberdeen and Hearts recently.

That’s after he was part of the Scotland under-17 side which reached the semi-finals of the European Championships in the summer.

McCoist has kept a close eye on the striker and feels he has the attributes required to make an impact in the long run.

He said: “We’ve high hopes for Ryan. He’s a lovely lad who had an illness last year and that kept him out for a long period.

“But he’s back now and he’s very quick. He has a good eye for goal and we were delighted to give him his opportunity.

“I know his mum and dad were at the game and it will be a night young Ryan hopefully won’t forget in a long, long time.”

As the game moved into injury time it seemed Hardie might even have a chance to cap his first appearance with a goal.

But instead of taking a shooting opportunity, he nodded the ball wide to David Templeton instead and he laid off for Ian Black to stroke in the clincher.

McCoist was happy with the teenager’s part in the best strike of the night at the conclusion of a testing tie for Gers.

He added: “It was a sensational goal. Ryan was involved in it and he knocked the ball back to Temps, who laid it into Ian’s path.

“It was a wonderful, wonderful finish from Blackie. It was certainly the goal of the night and we really had to work for the win.

“We’re not just going to turn up at places where people will hand you results. We had to work for everything at Falkirk and we deserved it because we worked hard.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7727-ally-happy-for-hardie

Rangers kid Ryan thanks family after dream debut

RANGERS kid Ryan Hardie today paid a heartfelt tribute to his family for helping him realise his lifelong dream to play for the Light Blues.

25426725.jpg

The 17-year-old forward came off the bench late on in Tuesday night's League Cup match with Falkirk.

And he was involved in the injury-time goal that Ian Black netted to seal a 3-1 triumph and a quarter-final spot.

But the talented teenager admits he would not have had a chance to make his debut if his family had not sacrificed their time and energy to take him on a 160-mile round trip from their Stranraer home to Glasgow three times a week.

Hardie said: "Coming on for the first team at Falkirk was the best feeling in the world. I've supported Rangers since I was a kid so to play for them was a dream come true.

"I have been with the club since I was in the under-13 squad. I've been travelling up the A77 three times a week.

"It has taken a massive commitment from my family. It was very hard at times.

"But my mum, dad, gran and grandad took turns about to drive me 80 miles each way to training and games.

"After all they have done for met it was brilliant that they were all at the Falkirk game to see me make my debut."

Hardie grew up idolising Rangers striker Kris Boyd and admitted he finds it strange to be playing now in the same team as his hero.

He said: "I had a child's season ticket for a few years. Then, after I joined the club, Rangers started supplying me with tickets for games.

"Boydy was here when I watched the team. It is so weird to sit in the changing room with him instead of watching him on the pitch."

Hardie, who has starred for Scotland Under-17s this season, added: "I was injured for a few weeks recently but when I came back I played quite well in Development League games against Aberdeen and Hearts.

"I want to achieve what the likes of Fraser Aird and Lewis Macleod have. I am only 17 but hopefully I can keep it going and get involved more.

"The manager knows what I can do. He told me to go out and prove myself and cement my place in the squad."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/rangers-kid-ryan-thanks-family-after-dream-debut-181918n.25414888