“But our leaders didn’t just lie to us. They terrified us with spectres of mushroom clouds: they attacked our patriotism if we questioned them; they insulted our intelligence if we said we doubted them; they mocked our reservations; they withheld information; suppressed facts; invented threats and deceived us into backing an illegal war which has left tens of thousands of Iraqis, Britons and Americans – who should be alive today and with their families – very, very dead indeed.”

(Neil Mackay – The War On Truth)

Despite the recent experience many Scots will have had for having their patriotism attacked for merely daring to question, Mr Mackay’s book actually deals with the Iraq war, where amongst other things, he explores and displays considerable understanding of the various mechanisms and machinations used by the UK and US governments to sow the seeds of a lie.

In explaining how the lies were told Neil Mackay tells it from the perspective of the US/UK governments and asks the question “So how are we going to twist the truth – some would call that a lie – and make it look as if Saddam was up to his sweaty little armpits in illegal weapons”

I would ask you to bear that quotation in mind for the remainder of this article.

Neil Mackay, author of The War of Truth, is the same Sunday Herald journalist who wrote the following article.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/george-square-trouble-the-night-our-readers-became-reporters.1411314286

Some of you may recognise some of the phraseology used by Mr Mackay within the article. In fact the “statement on Vanguard Bears website” is not actually a statement at all; it is the re-production of an article I wrote on my blog some days before entitled “2 sides of a coin” – which appeared on some other Rangers forums and was subject of discussion.

http://immortalrangers.wordpress.com/2014/09/19/2-sides-of-a-coin-2/

Despite the fact Vanguard Bears followed the caveat I asked of any forums publishing my work i.e. that it is reproduced verbatim, without any additions or deletions, you will notice that Mr Mackay has engaged in some fairly extensive and selective editing

Mr Mackay claims in his article “Yesterday it posted a statement online reading: “Our voice is on the rise, we must by actions, not words or political soundbites, ensure our Union is defended.”

There is a particular twist to this however – some may even call it a lie – but allow me to share with you the unedited version which I originally wrote, was reproduced verbatim, and is still displayed on my blog.

“Our voice is on the rise, we must by actions, not words or political sound bites, ensure our Union is defended, by attacking the root causes of social injustice and poverty within our society.”

Remind me what you wrote in The War on Truth Mr Mackay ?

“they withheld information; suppressed facts; invented threats and deceived us”

Perhaps the original unedited version doesn’t produce the kind of terrifying spectres Mr Mackay was seeking to portray.

I’m sure Scots of whatever political persuasion found the scenes at George Square unedifying, I know I certainly did.

Of course the Sunday Herald, and it’s pro-independence stance has been of considerable financial benefit with the newspaper boasting a doubling in circulation figures.

It seems the truth certainly can be bought at a price, and that has got to be the most unedifying aspect of all.

Neil MacKay did an autobiographical essay a while back, it was entitled, "My middle name is Patrick".

He is from Nothern Ireland and is the product of a mixed marriage. It mirrors Elaine C(for Sellik) Smith's conditioning; rc side of family compassionate, warm, and supportive, whereas prod half were spiteful, cold, and sneering. He is a product of his conditioning and regularly spits venom at those he perceives to be associated with one half of his family.

I know Gersnet are most sensitive to the consequences of last week's referendum, and quite right too. I am desperate for the Rangers support to remain as much a collective as possible. I offer the following information as a factual contribution to D'Art's current problem. The blogger, 'the man the beasts cannot tame' is often a difficult read, most interesting content but difficult presentation. His research is detailed, and he provides a run down of those in George Square(including photos) in the immediate minutes before the confrontation. It's a rag-tag and bob-tail of characters hitching aboard the Yes campaign wagon. If a newspaper wanted to amplify those involved, it's a screaming headline.

MacKay happened to be in the square with fellow like-minded journos and decided to amplify an unedifying sequence of events into a full blown riot. He has fashioned a tool which has been utilised by both First and Deputy Minister. A component of said tool was manufactured by MacKay by deliberately using preferred prejudice to edit D'Art's piece to suit. The Sunday Herald are willing participants.

I wish D'Art good fortune in this quest, I suspect he will need it as the demonization aspect appears well developed in MacKay.

Neil MacKay did an autobiographical essay a while back, it was entitled, "My middle name is Patrick".

He is from Nothern Ireland and is the product of a mixed marriage. It mirrors Elaine C(for Sellik) Smith's conditioning; rc side of family compassionate, warm, and supportive, whereas prod half were spiteful, cold, and sneering. He is a product of his conditioning and regularly spits venom at those he perceives to be associated with one half of his family.

I know Gersnet are most sensitive to the consequences of last week's referendum, and quite right too. I am desperate for the Rangers support to remain as much a collective as possible. I offer the following information as a factual contribution to D'Art's current problem. The blogger, 'the man the beasts cannot tame' is often a difficult read, most interesting content but difficult presentation. His research is detailed, and he provides a run down of those in George Square(including photos) in the immediate minutes before the confrontation. It's a rag-tag and bob-tail of characters hitching aboard the Yes campaign wagon. If a newspaper wanted to amplify those involved, it's a screaming headline.

MacKay happened to be in the square with fellow like-minded journos and decided to amplify an unedifying sequence of events into a full blown riot. He has fashioned a tool which has been utilised by both First and Deputy Minister. A component of said tool was manufactured by MacKay by deliberately using preferred prejudice to edit D'Art's piece to suit. The Sunday Herald are willing participants.

I wish D'Art good fortune in this quest, I suspect he will need it as the demonization aspect appears well developed in MacKay.

Having read the Blog you mention, I have to agree, well researched as usual but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.

When Alex Thomson gladly concedes the George Sq stuff was a storm in a teacup with little actual trouble then you know folk like MacKay are mischief-making in their analysis.

Frankie,

There was a most interesting exchange of views on BBC Radio Scotland's, 'Off the Ball' on Saturday last. Cosgrove and Spiers were presenting, as Cowan is holidaying in Las Vegas. Cosgrove began by introducing Spiers as, "the acceptable face of unionism", continued the barbs throughout by asking, "do you still wear your union jack slippers bought from ASDA"? After 15 minutes or so, Spiers hit back with questioning Cosgrove's conduct during the Yestapo's flash mob antics at Pacific Quay ie a couple of thousand protesters with a dozen full colour placards depicting BBC Political Editor, Nick Robinson's image. Spiers was specific in flagging-up Cosgrove's social media contributions to the anti-BBC Scotland protest.

Spiers set out Cosgrove's 20 years working at BBC Scotland and concluded his comments reference colleagues and the institution, "sailed extremely close to the wind". Cosgrove weakly countered that he knew the management and people involved and he was in no doubt that bias had prevailed. Spiers replied, "really Stuart, really"? At this point, the show's Producer intervened and instructed them to move the discussion on to another topic.

Remember, Bears held 3 protests in just over a calendar year at Pacific Quay because of our perception of BBC Scotland bias. Cosgrove led the charge to sneer and ridicule Rangers supporters for their actions. Even after Alex Thomson insulted the victims of the Ibrox Disaster by YouTubing John Greig's statue walking away from the plinth, Cosgrove, Channel 4's Director for Diversity, protected their company asset, Alex Thomson by leading him through a rehearsed 40 minute Q and A, pleading ignorance. The next day, Thomson was utilising social media to call all Rangers supporters, 'Daleks', knowingly so, because they cannot negotiate stairs either.

It's the principle and big Stu' puts himself out there as a doyen of sanctimonious piety, Cosgrove sneers and ridicules one bodies sensitivities, but is most supportive of another. It is the very epitome of sitting extremely comfortable with a preferred prejudice.

I would be most interested if any Gersnetter could utilise social media to find out exactly what he tweeted about BBC Scotland and Nick Robinson? I do not use the means myself, I suspect it to be insecure. I would be grateful for the information because I think Cosgrove may have lost his discipline big time and handed Rangers supporters a most useful lever.

When Alex Thomson gladly concedes the George Sq stuff was a storm in a teacup with little actual trouble then you know folk like MacKay are mischief-making in their analysis.

There was a lot of hyperbole and overblown rhetoric coming from both sides in the immediate aftermath of the referendum.

Given the tensions leading up to the referendum it was IMO, inevitable.

I'd recommend sticking everything said in the 3/4 days post referendum in the bin and starting a fresh.

Cosgrove doesn't use Twitter openly - I think he'd conceded he does use it but only lurks.

Frankie,

I am a self-confessed Luddite.

Does this mean, he only corresponds with a select few? How does Spiers know what he tweeted?

I think he will feel Spiers has betrayed a confidence; however, one journo joining and encouraging the mob against another Journo is surely verboten?

The army should be given free rein to indulge in live target practice when the words 'perceived bias' are used as justification for ovine, placard-waving fuds to stand outside a building! :D

Generally speaking, the entrenched and unthinking ovine tendencies are actually displayed much more by those who can't see, look the other way and/or are called Jack and they are 'all right'.