McCoist On Loan Watch Too

ALLY McCoist is a keen advocate of the loan system and says he keeps a close eye on all his young loan players.

Rangers have eight players currently out on loan at teams across the Championship, League One and League Two.

The loan system is something McCoist thinks benefits his young players who he believes can sometimes get too comfortable in their Rangers surroundings.

He said: “We send people out to watch the boys on loan all the time, that’s the whole object of the exercise that the boys go out and play and we can monitor their performance.

“We have all the lads games covered, all the staff go from the youth department to my own staff.

“We’re in constant dialogue with their managers and coaches - not just to see how they are performing in games but how their training has been, how their attitude has been, to see if they are improving and generally speaking if they’re pleased with them."

McCoist uses the example of two players who have gone on to play in the English Premier League as proof the system works.

“I can look back on two recent players who have gone on to have fantastic careers at Rangers and away from Rangers and they are Charlie Adam and Alan McGregor.

“Allan went to St Johnstone and Dunfermline and Charlie went to St Mirren and it did not do them any harm at all.

“I think it’s great to get the players out and get experience of playing, which is most important and also for them to get an experience of an environment which is not Rangers, which is not Murray Park.

“Sometimes I feel you can create a little bit of a monster here because the facilities are so good and the players are incredibly lucky and fortunate to have this facility and work here.

“It doesn’t do the players out on loan any harm at all to go out to somewhere that maybe the facilities aren’t as good and aren’t as welcoming and comfortable to play and train.”

McCoist will have seen his loan players feature heavily across this weekend’s fixtures.

In the Championship Barrie McKay played 58 minutes for Raith as they were narrowly beaten 4-3 by Queen of the South.

The result leaves the sides level on points in the table two points behind Rangers in second place.

Daniel Stoney made a lively appearance off the bench for Stranraer in the semi-final of the Petrofac Training Cup against Livingston.

The 18-year old came on in the 80th with the scores at 1-1 and went on to play extra time and take part in the penalty shoot-out.

Stoney had good chances to get Stranraer a winner but the League One side didn’t find a goal and were forced to penalties.

Stoney levelled the shoot-out with his effort but Championship Livingston eventually won 5-4 as it went to sudden death.

In League One young centre half Kyle McAusland played 45 minutes for Brechin City as they were heavily beaten 4-0 by Airdrieonians.

Brechin conceded two goals in each half as McAusland was substituted at half time.

Airdrieonians Rangers loanee Luca Gasparotto didn’t feature as he travelled to Canada to join up with his national side.

Robbie Crawford was an unused substitute as Greenock Morton rose up the league into third place with a 2-0 win over Stirling.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7836-mccoist-on-loan-watch-too

Poor effort of a loan watch from the media team's new Geordie reporter Alice Hedworth....

Tuesday, 21 October 2014 16:14

Loan Watch

Written by Alice Hedworth

d3ce7dc8c6e117e02ce7f18448b37130_XL.jpg

CALUM Gallagher was once again the stand out performer of the week.

The 20-year old scored a header to contribute to Cowdenbeath’s 3-2 win over Alloa on Saturday. The striker has now played five games Cowden, scoring three goals.

Daniel Stoney was an unused substitute as Stranraer beat Brechin City 2-1 in League One. Kyle McAusland didn’t feature for his loan side Brechin.

Robbie Crawford had chances to score for Morton, as they were beaten 1-0 by Ayr but he couldn’t convert. The 21-year old played 77 minutes before being replaced. The result meant Ayr leapfrogged Morton into third.

Luca Gasparotto returned from international duty with Canada to play the full 90 minutes for Airdrieonians as they drew 1-1 with Peterhead.

Tom Walsh too was returning from international duty – his with Scotland’s U19s – and he helped Stenhousemuir to a 4-0 win over Stirling.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7889-loan-watch

Daniel Stoney was an unused substitute as Stranraer beat Brechin City 2-1 in League One. Kyle McAusland didn’t feature for his loan side Brechin.

According to multiple reports, Stoney came off the bench for Stranraer on the 67th minute and Kyle McAusland didn't feature for Brechin due to an injury issue as he was to get a late fitness test, but was classed as doubtful by Ray McKinnon on Friday.

Poor effort of a loan watch from the media team's new Geordie reporter Alice Hedworth....

Tuesday, 21 October 2014 16:14

Loan Watch

d3ce7dc8c6e117e02ce7f18448b37130_XL.jpg

CALUM Gallagher was once again the stand out performer of the week.

The 20-year old scored a header to contribute to Cowdenbeath’s 3-2 win over Alloa on Saturday. The striker has now played five games Cowden, scoring three goals.

Robbie Crawford had chances to score for Morton, as they were beaten 1-0 by Ayr but he couldn’t convert. The 21-year old played 77 minutes before being replaced. The result meant Ayr leapfrogged Morton into third.

Luca Gasparotto returned from international duty with Canada to play the full 90 minutes for Airdrieonians as they drew 1-1 with Peterhead.

Tom Walsh too was returning from international duty – his with Scotland’s U19s – and he helped Stenhousemuir to a 4-0 win over Stirling.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/7889-loan-watch

Is that your friend Alice in the background of that photo? :D

KYLE McAusland was on the score sheet this weekend as Rangers loan boys experienced a mixed afternoon across the leagues.

In the Championship Barrie McKay was part of a Raith Rovers side who recovered well from their 6-1 drubbing at Ibrox last weekend. He played just over 70 minutes as Rovers drew 1-1 with Alloa.

Calum Gallagher played the full 90 minutes of Cowdenbeath’s 6-0 away defeat to Falkirk. Cowden sit bottom of the table with that loss affecting their goal difference meaning Alloa are above them on the same points.

In League One Kyle McAusland got on the score sheet for Brechin who beat Ayr 2-0 away from home. It’s the 21-year old’s second goal for his loan side, having also netted in a 3-1 win over Morton at the start of the month.

After scoring two goals for the Under 20 Development League side in the week Danny Stoney returned to the starting line-up with his loan side Stranraer. The 18-year old played 72 minutes of their 1-1 draw with Forfar Athletic.

Robbie Crawford played 30 minutes for Greenock Morton as they won 2-1 against Dunfermline. He is still looking to add to his tally for this season – having scored one goal already for Morton back in September.

Luca Gasparotto played a full game for Airdrieonians as they played out a 2-2 draw with Stirling Albion. The two sides share the bottom two places of League One with Airdrieonains just shading Albion into 9th by three points.

Tom Walsh had a disappointing afternoon for Stenhousemuir as he failed to help them defeat Peterhead at Ochilview Park. The 18-year old had chances to add to his account, which he opened last week against Stirling, but the game ended 2-1.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/item/7932-loan-watch

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/academy-news/item/8014-loan-watch

Wednesday, 05 November 2014 14:30

Loan Watch

Loan Watch

KYLE McAusland continued his goal scoring for Brechin City - here is this week's Loan Watch.

Kyle McAusland – Brechin City

McAusland made it two goals in two games as he helped Brechin City progress to the next round of the Scottish Cup against Stenhousemuir - the 21-year old has netted three times in his past four games for his loan side.

His goal came in the 52nd minute as the ball found its way to him on the edge of the box and he lifted his shot over the goalkeeper. McAusland had been pushed up into a midfield rather than his customary right back position for the cup tie.

Tom Walsh – Stenhousemuir

That cup win came against Tom Walsh’s current team and he played all 90 minutes of his team’s 2-1 loss.

Robbie Crawford – Greenock Morton

Ally McCoist gave Crawford permission to play in Greenock Morton’s Scottish Cup game against Airdire – it will mean he cannot play for Rangers this season in the same tournament. The 21-year old came on as a substitute in the 77th minute of the 0-0 draw.

Luca Gasparotto – Airdrieonians

Gasparotto played the whole 90 minutes in the opposing team to Robbie Crawford. And the young Canadian had a chance to win the game in the final minute, but sent his header over the crossbar.

Barrie McKay – Raith Rovers

McKay was an unused substitute in Raith’s 2-0 Cup victory over Linlithgow Rovers.

Daniel Stoney – Stranraer

Stranraer played Peterhead twice in the week, once in the league and then again in the Scottish Cup. Stoney was a 74th minute substitute in the league fixture and scored the fifth and final goal of their 5-0 win – breaking away from the Peterhead defence before slotting the ball home.

Stoney was limited to an 84th minute appearance off the bench in the Cup game, as Stranraer won 1-0.

Craig Halkett – Clyde

Halkett came back into the Scottish Cup squad after missing the last few weeks with an injury. He appeared as a substitute at the start of the second half, as Barry Ferguson’s side were beaten 2-0 by Spartans – A Lowland League side.

Wednesday, 05 November 2014 17:00

Ready For All Possibilities

Written by Andrew Dickson

CALUM GALLAGHER has no idea if he’ll be called back to Rangers atthe end of his loan to Cowdenbeath but feels he’ll be ready for a return if he’s required at Ibrox.

The forward joined the Blue Brazil earlier this year until January and has scored three times so far during his spell in Fife against Hearts, Queen of the South and Alloa Athletic.

Indeed, the 20-year-old is relishing his time at Central Park and would be equally happy to remain there until the summer if it’s felt that is the best option for him.

Gallagher’s clear long-term ambition, however, is to make himself a regular with the Light Blues and he feels he’s making progress in his bid to establish himself with Gers.

RangersTV visited the youngster at his temporary home recently and you can see an exclusive feature about the striker on the official club television channel now.

Gallagher believes he has shown improvement in the few weeks he has had with Jimmy Nicholl’s side.

And he is sure whoever he is playing with in the second half of the campaign can benefit from that.

Gallagher said: “It’s a win-win situation for me. If I stay here, I’ve really enjoyed my time so far and I would enjoy staying on and seeing out the season at Cowdenbeath.

“I think the manager and staff there are quite happy playing me and going back to Rangers would be more of a test for me.

“At the same time, it’s a test I would gladly put my name in the hat for. That’s where I want to be playing my football and where I aim to be playing it in the future.

“Come the time over Christmas, if the manager wants me in I’ll be more than happy to come back because that’s where I want to be.

“It has been good to test myself at the same level Rangers are playing at and so far it has been quite a good start.

“When the time came for me to go on loan, a big thought was whether it would be beneficial to go out to a team at a lower level and perhaps be seen to be doing better than I was.

“It might have been false in the sense I’d have done well there but maybe couldn’t cut it in the Championship.

“It was a bit of a leap of faith to go to a team at this level and I’m really happy with the way things have worked out.

“I just need to keep going and give the manager something to think about by the time I get back as well as do well and get results for Cowdenbeath.

“It was the right decision to come out and hopefully I’m going to reap the benefits in months to come. I’ve taken a lot of confidence from the move.

“Along with that, my overall play has got better, I feel more composed and more sure of myself on the ball.

“I’ve played in front big crowds against Hearts and Hibs and I feel as though I’ve handled it well and given a good account of myself. That has prepared me for coming back to Rangers.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8011-ready-for-all-possibilities