The players will know that their future at Rangers depends on winning this division, or at the very least, being promoted.

Not much changes for them if Ally goes on a year's notice period. With or without him they must succeed. If they fail, half of them, and possibly more, will follow the manager out the door.

If Ally is put on notice now, the message is a simple one: earn yourself a new contract. If he can't cope with that, he has no business being here.

That part in bold is an unknown quantity because we don't know if Ally would just walk now if he was put on notice and if he did walk, we don't know what the reaction would be to a new manager who decided he was going to literally gut the squad and build a new one next summer because so many players are out of contract anyway.

Look at what happened to Terry Butcher at Hibs last season with half of the squad downing tools.....

[/b]

For me this is the biggest reason he is clinging on. He must know deep down he is finished/not good enough as a football manager.

But how can he turn his back on the big (way too big) pay packet? That is understandable to an extent, he has his future income to think of. He is certainly not going to be inundated with other managerial offers is he?

I hate that it hasn't worked out for him and we have to criticise a man who is a genuine Rangers legend but common sense has to prevail. Rangers football team is stagnating under Ally's stewardship.

The longer the change of manager is delayed the harder it will be for whoever it is that replaces him and has to pick up the pieces.

Worst part is, due to the relentless cash burn/lining of pockets our glorious leaders cannot afford to replace Ally. As others have pointed out we just can't afford the pay-off.

Tbh I doubt he'll be looking for another dug-out, he'll be looking for a TV studio.

Nor do I think he has to worry about 'putting bread on the table' for the rest of his days.

Hypothetically, what it might mean is that he wants to maximise what he is contractually owed so as make the bank balance an even softer comfort blanket. This however may be impossible for RIFC to pay and Ally's agent may need to negotiate considering various issues, including how an insolvency event may effect it and Ally's credibility if certain details (re.renumeration/most probably already mentioned on here) were to be made very public.

The writing has been on the wall for Ally for a long time and IMO he should have left at the end of last season.

He didn't and with the 'untouchable status' wearing ever thinner could only expect things to get ugly if the football remained the same. He deserves no sympathy, he's used all his 'credit'.

All this talk of McCoist's poor performance, yet, as far as I'm aware, our CEO has still not made any public comment on the bombshells that Sandy Easdale dropped in his interview with Keith Jackson.

Priorities, gents.

Never mind our stadium naming rights getting given away for hee haw or the serious related questions regarding our retail income from the Sports Direct and Puma deals.

Never mind the pass the parcel and musical chairs style of governance at the club for the past 2 years.

Never mind the lies and deceit from plc & club directors or the contempt they've shown for the Club's support for the past 2 years.

Never mind Rangers board directors intimidating supporters and supporter websites with legal action and threats of it.

Never mind all that and all the other irrelevant stuff.

Ally isn't a good enough manager.

That part in bold is an unknown quantity because we don't know if Ally would just walk now if he was put on notice and if he did walk, we don't know what the reaction would be to a new manager who decided he was going to literally gut the squad and build a new one next summer because so many players are out of contract anyway.

Look at what happened to Terry Butcher at Hibs last season with half of the squad downing tools.....

If Ally walked it would be a problem solved. Many problems would still exist but a highly expensive one would have been removed.

It is unlikely that his replacement would be inferior to him in the ways of management. It seems to be an open secret in football that football management is not one of Ally McCoist's talents.

By putting him on notice now, he is effectively challenged to win a new contract, and if he can't do it, we can let him go having already paid him his due.

If nothing changes at the top of the house, and if Ally fails to get Rangers promoted, Rangers will have no money left to let him go at the end of the season and the idea that we should give him a year's notice at that point is quite absurd. He has few friends left who can make a convincing case for keeping him, but if he flops this season, there won't be any at all - and we won't have enough money to fire him.

Resolving this ridiculous management issue is a process that should begin immediately.

Never mind our stadium naming rights getting given away for hee haw or the serious related questions regarding our retail income from the Sports Direct and Puma deals.

Never mind the pass the parcel and musical chairs style of governance at the club for the past 2 years.

Never mind the lies and deceit from plc & club directors or the contempt they've shown for the Club's support for the past 2 years.

Never mind Rangers board directors intimidating supporters and supporter websites with legal action and threats of it.

Never mind all that and all the other irrelevant stuff.

Ally isn't a good enough manager.

We talk about little else. The mismanagement of Rangers FC dominates this forum.

This thread, though, is about the manager.

I am a football fan and the football team is my priority. I am more concerned with our players being unable to do things i could do as a school kid and mistakes our manager and his buddies makes on a weekly basis. The football is my priority. In fact, it's my guess, opinion, whatever that the football side of our operation has cost us more than anything else in the last 3 or 4 years under McCoists stewardship, regardless of who sets budgets, this is money McCoist deemed needed to be spent in order to compete with clubs who could only ever dream of such resources. For me Ally McCoist poses a far greater danger to Rangers Football Club than any fat cat who sits in the directors box. In fact, given how toxic our football brand is today, i don't even think anyone can argue against that.